WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

Anyone else picked up Mario 3D All-Stars? I’m finding it rather disappointing so far. It’s very...minimal particularly with Mario 64 which is in 4:3 resolution with a complete absence of save states. It’s really odd, even Nintendo Online offers more than that with its games.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The event was a massive success! The original target of £100 (we're all small streamers) was thrashed immediately, so we upped it to £200, then £300, then £500. The current amount is £1052.99

It’s such a waste of money (unless you have it) to jump in at launch. The games have been developed with current gen in mind so they don’t really perform any different, the games that are actually ava

I'm playing Death To The Megathread 2020 on the Xbox. I'm stuck on level 4 because it wont let you just cut and paste something and then not post your own personal opinion on anything. 

Posted Images

It's a pretty bare bones emulation job, people went through the code a few days back. It means we could likely see more N64, GC and Wii games on the console but for classics like these I'd have liked to have seen more done.

• Paid Members

I'm loving it so far, but then I play through 64 every few years anyway much as I do with World. 

All I'm after is a chance to play it handheld with controls that aren't shite, so I'm happy. Save states would have been nice though. 

Having never played Sunshine I'm interested to try it, but it's galaxy I'm now wondering most about, I loved it at the time but can't remember enough to know if it'll stand up still or if I'm blinded by nostalgia. I'll give it a go proper over the weekend. 

• Paid Members

This game looks gorgeous and has me interested.  I'm not sure I understand what platform/hardware I need to play it though. How does Steam work? 

Edited by BigJag
  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, BigJag said:

This game looks gorgeous and has me interested.  I'm not sure I understand want platform/hardware I need to play it though. How does Steam work? 

Steam is a game store/launcher primarily for PC gaming, but also runs on Linux and MacOS.

You buy a game (either directly within Steam, or via a code through a third party), install it and play it.

Each game should have its own page, where you can buy it or to read reviews etc. Each game will list the minimum and recommended specs needed for your machine to run the title.

Steam is free, you just pay for the games to want to buy.

Edited by scratchdj
  • Paid Members

Add me to the disappointed list for Mario 3D Allstars. Even the original Mario All Stars offered remastered graphics. An option to have original or HD graphics would have been appreciated. Right now it feels like I’ve paid for a Virtual Console/Rom. Also, it’s my first time playing 64 since the early 00’s. Maybe because I just finished Odyssey, but it’s not aged well, especially the controls and camera. Feels a lot for £50

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Add me to the disappointed list for Mario 3D Allstars. Even the original Mario All Stars offered remastered graphics. An option to have original or HD graphics would have been appreciated. Right now it feels like I’ve paid for a Virtual Console/Rom. Also, it’s my first time playing 64 since the early 00’s. Maybe because I just finished Odyssey, but it’s not aged well, especially the controls and camera. Feels a lot for £50

Probably is but Nintendo marketed that 'limited edition' to it and knew people wouldn't wait for reviews. They had to put no effort into improving it and people bought it anyway. If Nintendo were going to remaster 64 they would sell it for £45 because Nintendo are as tight as a gnat's khyber. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

In case anyone's arsed, just jumping in to confirm all of this. There are 6 or 7 classes (brawlers, high flyers etc) and everyone in each class shares the same identical moveset apart from a single signature and finisher, and the movesets themselves are extremely limited. Like, in the main 2K games, each wrestler might have 20 or so options from a standing grapple position, but here you get less than 10, along with 3 diving attacks, 3 running attacks and a single submission. It feels like there are half a dozen different characters and the other 60 or so lads are nothing more than re-skins. I get that the idea was to make something that's easy to pick up and play, but it's limited to the point where you've seen pretty much everything after an hour or so and there's very little motivation to work through the story mode to unlock the rest of the roster. 

There's loads of slowdown too, at least on a standard Xbone. It's locked up a couple of times and when it unfreezes itself everyone's in a completely different place to where they were when it first froze up. And there's some sort of wacky move that starts from an airplane spin position and the person taking the move always disappears completely for a second whenever he's first lifted onto the other lad's shoulder. And the commentary's still shit, but this time it's Jerry Lawler screaming and yelping all over the place and Mauro Ranallo turning up with an overenthusiastic "WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW" now and again. 

So yeah. Not boss.

But look how brilliant it clearly is...

This may be of use to someone: Football Manager 2020 (PC) is a free download from Epic Games (Ends 24th September).

First FM game I have played since the 2012 version and I have found it a bit overwhelming.

Also got Mario 3D all stars, not played it yet but looking forward to it.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz
2 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

First FM game I have played since the 2012 version and I have found it a bit overwhelming.

I wondered about this. Would you say it's pretty much bewildering to someone who's never touched the series before?

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

But look how brilliant it clearly is...

It does look good fun. The character model for Andre is great.

Does Takers hat stay glued to his head?

@CAREBEAR LUVVA mentioned that the game suffers from slowdown.  Is that lazy programming? Or is this game really pushing the current gen systems that hard?

Edited by BigJag