WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The event was a massive success! The original target of £100 (we're all small streamers) was thrashed immediately, so we upped it to £200, then £300, then £500. The current amount is £1052.99

It’s such a waste of money (unless you have it) to jump in at launch. The games have been developed with current gen in mind so they don’t really perform any different, the games that are actually ava

I'm playing Death To The Megathread 2020 on the Xbox. I'm stuck on level 4 because it wont let you just cut and paste something and then not post your own personal opinion on anything. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It definitely takes some getting used to.

I'd use the d-pad if I was on PlayStation but I'm using an Xbox controller with my PC so its nubby little stick - which I find too small anyway - is still better than its negligible d-pad. 

I'm pretty much used to it now, but I did find that I was only busting tricks in the four main directions quite a lot. 

My only minor gripe is that they included the revert - which wasn't introduced until 3 - but didn't really tool up the classic maps enough to make vert skating that useful. 

But virtually everything else about it feels fantastic. I'm doing what I done in the old days, just booting up a map to free skate and then realising I've been hypnotically doing lines around it for the better part of an hour. I feel like getting a bit of green to round out the nostalgia. 

There's a setting that limits the moves to THPS 1 or 2 moves, so you can play it in a much more old school fashion. Otherwise it's pretty much the engine from 4.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

There's a setting that limits the moves to THPS 1 or 2 moves, so you can play it in a much more old school fashion. Otherwise it's pretty much the engine from 4.

You're right, I guess it's just a convenience like fast travel, one that you will invariably use. It's not a huge deal, to be honest. You can still work it into street lines etc. It only got ridiculous from 4 on where spine transfers made it possible to defy gravity from virtually any airspace and ensure you landed cleanly on something sloped!

Just had a peek at the create a skatepark, too. This isn't your PS1 create a skatepark! Can't wait to see what people come up with on it. 

Yeah, I'm loving this. 

I think I’ve broken Dark Souls. I’m on my march towards the final boss soul before I can go fuck Gwyn up and everything is a one or two hit kill with my one hand wielding upgraded Dragon Tooth or Black Knight sword that has served me from the Undead Burg. Every boss is 2/3 tries max and my biggest killer is ledges and janky lock on (get to fuck Crystal Cave).

It’s been a blast and I’m definitely going to give Bloodborne another go at some point but I think it’s been playing it on handheld that’s really enhanced it. The bad movement (which is somewhat deliberate you’d think) and dated look don’t stand out on the Switch and being able to grind for souls whilst shitting is great.

One thing I didn’t realise was how much GoW and BotW took from the game. It’s wild that two of my favourite games both ripped off the mechanics and combat of this game and it’s taken me this long to get in to it. Great game.

Yeah for a game as esoteric as the original Demon's Souls, one that no-one expected to have any impact it's sure all influenced gaming at large. As much as I've enjoyed the series I'm still baffled at how mainstream they are.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Who hasn't always wanted a games console that looks like a wireless? In all seriousness though, at that price point, the Series S could be a real game changer for MS for the next gen.

A cheap next-gen console and a subscription to gamepass would be a great shout if you're not interested in playing in 4K or Sony exclusives. I'm tempted to dive back into PC gaming myself after the unveiling of the stupidly powerful new Nvidia cards along with the cheap-ish but powerful Ryzen 3 chips, seems like a decent time to start jumping in.

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Gwyn is a massive cunt and I’m going to spend the entire workday obsessing about beating the  fast fiery fuck.

I just want to play Tony Hawk’s for fucks sake.

If you want to get off to a good start against Gwyn, I'd recommend starting the fight by charging towards him and parrying his initial attack at the very last second. Also, if you have a maxed out Chaos infused Reinforced Club (hope you didn't kill the undead merchant) after the first parry, you can 2 hand this weapon, circle behind him, and youre guaranteed to stagger him every 2 hits.

14 minutes ago, neil is brill said:

If you want to get off to a good start against Gwyn, I'd recommend starting the fight by charging towards him and parrying his initial attack at the very last second. Also, if you have a maxed out Chaos infused Reinforced Club (hope you didn't kill the undead merchant) after the first parry, you can 2 hand this weapon, circle behind him, and youre guaranteed to stagger him every 2 hits.

I killed him far too early. That initial parry was about all I could do before he flurried me to death. The problem is I tanked up and boshed my way to this point and now I’m too heavy and my stamina runs out too quickly. Am I right in thinking a lighter armour set (switching between Havel and and Black Iron) with a spec’d up black knight shield would be the best way to go? I’m yielding a +5 black knight sword but I have a pretty hefty dragon tooth but it just drains me and is slow.

27 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

When I mentioned learning to parry would come in handy later on...

To be fair the closest I’ve gotten so far is a naked suicide run with the parry dagger and my BK sword. My parrying is wildly erratic though, I can parry every knight on the way to boss door or just as easily get taken out by the first knight. Seems to be all about rhythm for me. Rhythm and a million stats I’ll never understand.