WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

6 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think the oldest I’ve ever felt in my life was playing the warehouse last night then getting dizzy and feeling sick so having to go for a little lie down.

My better half had the misfortune of sitting next to me whilst I was trying to get the sick score on Downhill Jam, constantly hitting restart muttering "It's fucking stupid. It's so fucking stupid. The lines don't lead into each other, it keeps letting me hop off rails and into sharp corners" over and over with increased agitation. 

I have to say as much as I've enjoyed it, the levels are noticeably poorer compared to the rest of the series. They hadn't really hit that "city made of halfpipes" syndrome yet that would litter the design of the rest of the games. There's loads of times I'd trick off something that led into a brick wall. I get that 1+2 was the most logical way to do a remake, but damn. Hungry for those 3, 4 and THUG levels which blow it out of the water. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

My better half had the misfortune of sitting next to me whilst I was trying to get the sick score on Downhill Jam, constantly hitting restart muttering "It's fucking stupid. It's so fucking stupid. The lines don't lead into each other, it keeps letting me hop off rails and into sharp corners" over and over with increased agitation. 

Can definitely relate to this.

I'm having loads of fun with this but as someone who started at number 3 of the original series the sometimes shitty level design is very noticeable. Especially in comparison to something like the Airport level in 3 which is perfectly designed for creating insanely long fun combos.

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

HotShot Racing came out on everything today. It looks like Virtua Racing, but with a lot more features, modes, and vehicles. The handling is realy annoying drifty style though, when what I was hoping for was the lovely handling from something like a Virtua Racing. Takes some getting used to and it quite frustrating.

It's a bit of a weird one isn't it? It looks like Virtua Racing, controls somewhere between Ridge Racer and Outrun but the track design feels muddled somehow, like it's a bit too open and feels a bit Kart racerish. I like it a fair bit, but I wanted to love it.

Two of my most treasured memories of gaming are spending £70 quid on the Mega Drive version of V.R. and getting Ridge Racer with my launch day PS1. Actually I want nothing more than a remaster of the PS1 Ridge Racers.

3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I was looking at Hotshot Racing as Ridge Racer is one of my favourite game series ever (PSP has an amazing version, btw), and I love Virtua Racing, but was holding out for some more reviews.

Has anyone got Virtua Racing on Switch? It's a brilliant conversion and if that's your thing:

If you've got an Xbox it's on Game Pass. Otherwise I think it's still relatively cheap.

As an addendum to what I said above, it does very much have the quirks of an old school racer. Rubber banding is very much in effect and the different views dramatically change the experience. The Daytona bonnet cam is the best by a country mile. I do want a Virtua Racing/ Monaco GP style sky cam though, just to have it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

It's a bit of a weird one isn't it? It looks like Virtua Racing, controls somewhere between Ridge Racer and Outrun but the track design feels muddled somehow, like it's a bit too open and feels a bit Kart racerish. I like it a fair bit, but I wanted to love it.

Two of my most treasured memories of gaming are spending £70 quid on the Mega Drive version of V.R. and getting Ridge Racer with my launch day PS1. Actually I want nothing more than a remaster of the PS1 Ridge Racers.

It feels like it should be driven in a different way than it is, but whenever I try to drive it like Virtua Racing I end up understeer ING massively and just arrowing straight into the barriers.

The Switch version of Virtua Racing is spectacular. I got MegaDrive Virtua Racing for Christmas one year and it's such a well done port. That is still manages to convey the speed while running at 15FPS is a heck of a feat.

32X Virtua Racing Deluxe was pretty amazing as well, but the Saturn version feels off. 

• Paid Members

Races too often feel like stay in touch with the front two and use your boost at the finish, and there's a LOT of contact from the other drivers. 

• Paid Members

It's not even really a brake, it feels more like an "initiate drift" button. I was expecting it to be more a racing game than what it is. I can't even play it using the bonnet cam I usually use for driving games, I've got to use the follow cam. It's a shame because it looks nice and has a lot of features. 

So I’ve played Among Us last night, I watched Maximilian Dood stream it the other night and just assumed it was a PC game but found out it’s on IPhone and ended up being invested for hours, basically a who done it game where you’re on a ship with 10 random people Online and one is an imposter who goes around killing other members, once a body is found you can call a meeting and discuss who to vote off the ship.  Highly recommend this.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

PS5 releasing on Nov 19th at £450 disc edition and £350 digital edition. Pre orders available tomorrow from selected retailers, not sure if that’s global or just the U.S. That’s a really competitive price and I’ll be putting in an order for the digital edition. 

Game wise the biggest reveal was God of War Ragnarok slated for 2021 but fuck knows how they can put a date on any game productions at this point. There’s a new Oddworld game and Spider-Man Miles Morales will be available at launch. 

Oh and a selection of all those fucking games we’ve accumulated from PS Plus over the past 7 years will be available to pick and choose from for all existing and new subscribers as part of the new PS Plus.