WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The event was a massive success! The original target of £100 (we're all small streamers) was thrashed immediately, so we upped it to £200, then £300, then £500. The current amount is £1052.99

It’s such a waste of money (unless you have it) to jump in at launch. The games have been developed with current gen in mind so they don’t really perform any different, the games that are actually ava

I'm playing Death To The Megathread 2020 on the Xbox. I'm stuck on level 4 because it wont let you just cut and paste something and then not post your own personal opinion on anything. 

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I’ve always liked racing games and have spent many an hour this past few years playing Project Cars 1 & 2, Dirt Rally 1 & 2 and Assetto Corsa in VR. I’ve always fancied giving iRacing a go, but was kind of put off by the genuine competitiveness that I thought would come with it.

Anyway, I took a punt on a 50% deal and am pleased to say it’s incredible. It’s very well weighted and rewards good, decent, safe driving. I’ve yet to see any evidence of dick heads that often come with some random online races, and it really does feel like a simulator rather than a game.

I sold my Logitech G29 wheel (for more money than I paid for it 4 years ago!) and treated myself to a Fanatec F1 wheel, and it’s made the world of difference. The level of feedback you get through it is really something else.

As a rookie, I’m fairly limited in what races I can enter, so am mostly kicking about in the Global MX5 Cup which is oodles of fun. I’ve had 7 races so far, including a pole position at Tsukuba. I ended up coming 4th after making a mistake and losing the lead. When I overtook again 2 laps later, we both spun due a genuine racing incident when he turned in on me.

At lunch today, I managed to squeeze into a session at Laguna which I’d never driven before. Managed to only get 2 laps in practice and started 14th on the grid, but finished 7th with no incidents.

It really does feel like you’re driving a real car. The sim, the wheel and the VR all come together to create a really immersive experience that makes every other racing game I’ve played feel like just that - a game. It feels totally natural, so when I arrive at a track I’ve never driven before, I can get around it clean and reasonably quick without too much practice.

Compared to things like Project Cars, Forza, GT etc, there’s very little content and your subscription still only gets you a few cars and tracks, but I’m going to have an awful lot of value out of the MX5 Cup alone. That said, I’m eager to have a race in a touring car to see how that feels.

I also like all the data you get back, with all the results, splits, lap times, position changes, it all feels really official without having that awful barrier to entry that I thought it would have.

It also makes you realise how amazing serious sim racers are. The difference in accuracy needed to move from being decent to brilliant is tiny. 

Heres a video of my race from pole if anyone’s interested. I lose the lead on lap 6 and get it back on lap 8 before the incident. Opening laps are always interesting as you have to warm the tyres and brakes, so you start with little grip and often have to drive a bit wider to avoid understeer. 

Edited by scratchdj
  • Paid Members

The next round of preserved collection for Train Sim World 2 is out now. Long Island RailRoad, Tees Valley Line, and Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr, along with any related DLC locos that are available with them. If you own any of this DLC in TSW2020 you should get it for free, however there's a bit of a confusion with the XBox One versions at the moment where Microsoft have accidentally put the date of 10/09 in American format instead of the way we in the rest of the world do it. They're now waiting for Microsoft to rectify this. It's fine on PS$ & PC from what I gather.

HotShot Racing came out on everything today. It looks like Virtua Racing, but with a lot more features, modes, and vehicles. The handling is realy annoying drifty style though, when what I was hoping for was the lovely handling from something like a Virtua Racing. Takes some getting used to and it quite frustrating.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, Weezenal said:

Tony Hawks is S-I-C-K.

I think the oldest I’ve ever felt in my life was playing the warehouse last night then getting dizzy and feeling sick so having to go for a little lie down.

6 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think the oldest I’ve ever felt in my life was playing the warehouse last night then getting dizzy and feeling sick so having to go for a little lie down.

My better half had the misfortune of sitting next to me whilst I was trying to get the sick score on Downhill Jam, constantly hitting restart muttering "It's fucking stupid. It's so fucking stupid. The lines don't lead into each other, it keeps letting me hop off rails and into sharp corners" over and over with increased agitation. 

I have to say as much as I've enjoyed it, the levels are noticeably poorer compared to the rest of the series. They hadn't really hit that "city made of halfpipes" syndrome yet that would litter the design of the rest of the games. There's loads of times I'd trick off something that led into a brick wall. I get that 1+2 was the most logical way to do a remake, but damn. Hungry for those 3, 4 and THUG levels which blow it out of the water. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

My better half had the misfortune of sitting next to me whilst I was trying to get the sick score on Downhill Jam, constantly hitting restart muttering "It's fucking stupid. It's so fucking stupid. The lines don't lead into each other, it keeps letting me hop off rails and into sharp corners" over and over with increased agitation. 

Can definitely relate to this.

I'm having loads of fun with this but as someone who started at number 3 of the original series the sometimes shitty level design is very noticeable. Especially in comparison to something like the Airport level in 3 which is perfectly designed for creating insanely long fun combos.

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

HotShot Racing came out on everything today. It looks like Virtua Racing, but with a lot more features, modes, and vehicles. The handling is realy annoying drifty style though, when what I was hoping for was the lovely handling from something like a Virtua Racing. Takes some getting used to and it quite frustrating.

It's a bit of a weird one isn't it? It looks like Virtua Racing, controls somewhere between Ridge Racer and Outrun but the track design feels muddled somehow, like it's a bit too open and feels a bit Kart racerish. I like it a fair bit, but I wanted to love it.

Two of my most treasured memories of gaming are spending £70 quid on the Mega Drive version of V.R. and getting Ridge Racer with my launch day PS1. Actually I want nothing more than a remaster of the PS1 Ridge Racers.

• Paid Members

I was looking at Hotshot Racing as Ridge Racer is one of my favourite game series ever (PSP has an amazing version, btw), and I love Virtua Racing, but was holding out for some more reviews.

Has anyone got Virtua Racing on Switch? It's a brilliant conversion and if that's your thing:

3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I was looking at Hotshot Racing as Ridge Racer is one of my favourite game series ever (PSP has an amazing version, btw), and I love Virtua Racing, but was holding out for some more reviews.

Has anyone got Virtua Racing on Switch? It's a brilliant conversion and if that's your thing:

If you've got an Xbox it's on Game Pass. Otherwise I think it's still relatively cheap.

As an addendum to what I said above, it does very much have the quirks of an old school racer. Rubber banding is very much in effect and the different views dramatically change the experience. The Daytona bonnet cam is the best by a country mile. I do want a Virtua Racing/ Monaco GP style sky cam though, just to have it.