WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

There's definitely an optimum path through Dark Souls but, because so much of the world is interconnected, it's possible to find yourself in areas that you're not yet strong enough to cope with. Even if you can kill the standard enemies in an area, occasionally you'll come across stronger enemies that you aren't able to take down yet. If you're having trouble, chances are you're not "supposed" to be in that area yet. Go somewhere else, do a bit of exploring, level up a bit (grinding isn't necessary, but it does help), and try again later. 

Or get a bow and a bunch of arrows and shoot the tail off the dragon on the bridge. That'll give you one of the most powerful weapons in the game, which will make things much easier for you (although you'll need your strength to be at least level 16 to be able to use it). 

There's also a helpful estus flask upgrade you can get early on. Run down the stairs from Firelink Shrine and take the lift to New Londo Ruins, cross the bridge, turn right twice (so you're facing where you just came from) and you should see an item (a Fire Keeper Soul) in the distance. It's in the middle of some water, but there's a really (really really really) narrow path just under the surface. Run along it, grab the item, most likely get killed (you'll be swarmed by ghosts), return to Firelink Shrine, and go back down the stairs to the Fire Keeper. Give her the Fire Keeper Soul and she'll upgrade your flask. 

That was really helpful thanks. I got the flask upgrade, killed the Taurus demon, made the Black Knight fall off a cliff and he dropped his huge sword and got as far as just past the armoured pig.

I think it’s got it’s hooks in to me now as the thing that always put me off was lack of pause button which made it impossible to play with the kids and missus always needing something the moment I’d put the switch on but the grinding aspect borrows itself to my pick up and play style and it’ll hopefully mean that when I do eventually get deeper in to it I’ll be sufficiently powered up enough.

Shield and parry seem a bit pointless though, is attack and move the best way to go?

I'm currently recording a detailed walkthrough for Dark Souls. There are already plenty on YouTube as it is, however mine is for total beginners and covers how to complete the entire game, DLC and all, without ever levelling up, even if you aren't the best gamer out there. I find the Level 1 playthrough to be the definitive Dark Souls experience.

Is the black knight the one in the Undead Burg where you get that ring from? He chased me up some stairs and I dropped on to a ledge and he fell down after me but went straight down and died and dropped his sword. I can just about wield it two handedly but it’s very slow.

I also forgot to mention I killed the undead merchant to get the chumbawumba sword and key but now I have no way of stocking up on projectiles. Are the merchants spread out? 

@neil is brill link me to your video when it’s up and I’ll deffo check it out. I find I’ve been spending as much time researching the game as I have playing it.

That's the one and it's pretty damn rare that he drops it, guides say there's a 20% chance but it's likely far lower and people spend hours farming for one. It'll take some stats to wield it one handed and yeah it's not speedy but it'll cut through bosses like butter and it reasonably easy to upgrade early as you can get Twinkling Titanite from Snuggly the crow.

But really, the best weapon is whatever you click with. For me I played the entire game first with the Greatsword, it just felt right (and looked like it's from Berserk).

I think you're screwed on fire bombs.. but you can buy better, more expensive versions later from other people.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

My other half got me Train Sim World 2 on my XBone at the weekend, and it's pretty good. London Underground is difficult because they'restill working a few bugs out of the timing and atuff. You always seem to be running atleast  minute and a half behind  schedule because it makes you setup and start the whole train before you set off, so  you tend to be setting off when you're supposed to be arriving at the first station.

Sand Patch Grade has some gorgeous scenery, and looks like it'll be a lot of fun to be hauling some huge trains of up to 40 trucks up some vicious gradients.

The German route looks like it'll be fun to run along in the ICE, but the line is only about 30 miles long, so there's not going to be a lot of chance to run particularly fast.

The old routes that were carried over from TSW2020 (East Coastway and Peninsula Corridor) have had significant graphical updates, and look really nice.

The new controls are good, it's quicker and easier to open doors, the reverser control is now on the d-pad, and from the exernal cameras you drive the train AND move the camera at the same time.

The real cherry on top of the cake is the scenario editor where you can set a route on any of the routes you own, choose your stops and run any train you want along them. I've run the London Underground train along the East Coastway line, and I've set up to run the East Coastway passenger train (Class 377) along thePeninsula Corridor. You don't have to worry about timetabling, so it's a good way to practice your stopping to get the hang of how the tains' brakes work.

There's also a livery editor, but from my experience of it it's really clunky at the moment. I've seen some really good ones online that people have made, but it's just not sitting right with me at the moment.

It's worth picking up if you've played the other ones. There are a couple of bugs they'll hopefully be patching out at some point. Some of the upcoming routes look like they could be good as well, and they're going to be bringing in  a lot more of the older stuff to play with as well. You might want to give it a few months though if you've still got plenty to do in TSW 2020.

I guess they put the real main boss as an Easter egg in Dark Souls because there’s no way there’s a harder fucking boss than the Stray Demon. What a fucking bastard. Luckily I had ascended my Uchigatana Sword and that bonfire was right by the boss because it took me many, many attempts. Looked online and it says I’m only 15%-20% in to it (I’m just about to go to Blight Town ) Not sure my Switch will survive the entire game.

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I guess they put the real main boss as an Easter egg in Dark Souls because there’s no way there’s a harder fucking boss than the Stray Demon. What a fucking bastard. Luckily I had ascended my Uchigatana Sword and that bonfire was right by the boss because it took me many, many attempts. Looked online and it says I’m only 15%-20% in to it (I’m just about to go to Blight Town ) Not sure my Switch will survive the entire game.

The Stray Demon is entirely optional. You are able to return to the Undead Asylum, collect all the items and leave without ever fighting him. Defeating him has no effect on the outcome of the game and the only useful thing he drops is the Titanite Slab which can be used to upgrade a single weapon from +14 to +15.

He's weak to bleed damage and if you stay behind him, you can bait out the attack where he slams the ground and does his AOE attack. Once the red glow has dissipated, you can attack him once, back away to mid-range and he'll often do the AOE attack again, keeping him in a combat loop. Keep this in mind if you are intending to go into a NG+ cycle as the enemies have more health and they deal more damage.

Edited by neil is brill

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Anyone here playing Fall Guys, and if so has anyone actually managed to win a crown?

I've won 3 crowns so far, but I have put some fucking hours into it to be fair. It is great fun. All my wins have came from the obstacle course or tail finale - I've still not picked up a win on the hexagon final but thats by far my favourite game.

The tail games are broken beyond belief though, wouldn't surprise me to see them dumped in season 2 in favour of more obstacle courses.

Just now, Lorne Malvo said:

I've won 3 crowns so far, but I have put some fucking hours into it to be fair. It is great fun. All my wins have came from the obstacle course or tail finale - I've still not picked up a win on the hexagon final but thats by far my favourite game.

The tail games are broken beyond belief though, wouldn't surprise me to see them dumped in season 2 in favour of more obstacle courses.

I got down to the final two on the hexagon final, that's the closest I've got to a crown. Then I panicked and decided the best tactic was to intentionally jump down from the top layer (which I'd managed to stay on, amazingly, but was running out of hexagons) to the next one down. 

Unfortunately I hadn't considered the fact that there might not be a hexagon on the next one down. Or the next one down after that. Or the one after that.

I ended up plummeting to my death in the stupidest possible way. 

Same here - no crowns but I've come 2nd a few times - either right behind the one who grabs the crown or the last to fall on Hex-a-gone. It's incredibly fun and everyone in the family is having a great time with it. Season 2 got revealed last night on the Gamescom live show - medieval themed levels look like they'll be a blast.