Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Tamura said:

They do it best in joshi matches in Japan where you can get a human chain through the crowd adding leverage, I couldn't find any youtube examples quickly though.

Not Joshi, but this happened in a (in no way believable or logical) match at a totally ludicrous Big Japan spot show I went to.

IMG_20190222_195335044.jpg

I haven’t read the thread yet, but Raw brought one of my wrestling annoyances to the surface. I hate when wrestlers say “this business” in their speeches, like “I am the best thing going in this business today” or “I have loved this business since I was five years old.”

I don’t even know what I’d replace it with. “This sport” would be even worse, and I hated that when Edge used it in his speech this week. I guess “wrestling” or “WWE” are what I’d go with, but even they sound odd. “This business” is atrocious though, it’s too brotherbrother to be in the TV characters’ vocabulary.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I haven’t read the thread yet, but Raw brought one of my wrestling annoyances to the surface. I hate when wrestlers say “this business” in their speeches, like “I am the best thing going in this business today” or “I have loved this business since I was five years old.”

I don’t even know what I’d replace it with. “This sport” would be even worse, and I hated that when Edge used it in his speech this week. I guess “wrestling” or “WWE” are what I’d go with, but even they sound odd. “This business” is atrocious though, it’s too brotherbrother to be in the TV characters’ vocabulary.

Apparently it's on Vince's list of naughty words too. Noticed someone in AEW said it a few weeks ago and realised you don't hear it in WWE much, or at all, these days after it was fucking everywhere in the early 00s. Guess Edge can say what he likes.

• Paid Members

I'm not a fan of "this business" at all, but really, REALLY despised when JR used to use "this industry" all the time.

At least in 'real sport' you hear phrases like "he's the best in the business". "Industry" is so cold.

• Paid Members

I know it's a one-off but when all the McMahons came out on Raw and apologised for a shit product and promised they would do better and then changed literally nothing at all.

- "Monday Nitro" being a clear rip off of "Monday Night-Raw" always seemed an obvious and annoying attempt at copying WWF to me.

- Wrestlers turning heel and immediately only being able to win by cheating (when up to that point they were more than capable of winning clean) always seemed phony as fuck in the immediate aftermath of a turn.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, Statto said:

I'm not a fan of "this business" at all, but really, REALLY despised when JR used to use "this industry" all the time.

I have noticed full time wrestlers in the UK working mainly the All Star circuit had a habit of saying "In this Job" or "The job's fucked" etc. Almost to give themselves credibility for working a full time schedule, when the majority of wrestlers outside of ASW were Weekend Warriors.

It never sat well with me because of the way they were treated & how little money they got paid. If you class independent wrestling as "a job" or "an industry", it really does have a lot to answer for regarding the way they have treated their "staff" at times & for that matter, how their staff conduct themselves. 

For me an industry or whatever you want to call it, can only be treated seriously if people act professionally & can afford a decent standard of living. Most wrestling outside of WWE/AEW/Japan is a hobby & a pretty fucked up one at that.

40 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Hornswaggle

28 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Hornswaggles

Not trying to have a go at the two of you, but this is the wrestling equivalent of “should of” for me. Petty on my behalf, but it drives me mad.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Triple H went through a phase of using 'industry' during his clean shaven colourful trunks phase, i'm sure.

What he really overuses though is - "Here's the thing..." Doesn't annoy me, but i've always found it a bit of an odd turn of phrase. He loves it.

WWE is full of weird phrases and words no one uses in real life. I'm guessing it's a reflection of how Vince speaks because he probably hasn't had a normal conversation with a non wrestling person in 50 years.

My least favourite is when they call something entertaining. The New Day are "entertaining". Doctor Shelby is "entertaining". DX were "entertaining". It creates this weird unnatural separation between comical bits and everything else. Also, surely fucking everything on a show should aim to be entertaining?!