Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Top rope moves where the opponent lying on the mat moves out of the way and the lad doing the flying lands so far away that he wouldn't have hit the move anyway.

When the guy jumps off the ropes and the guy on the ground lifts his leg up - what the hell was the first guy even going to do given he lands on his feet? A proper "only in wrestling" spot.

40 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

When the guy jumps off the ropes and the guy on the ground lifts his leg up - what the hell was the first guy even going to do given he lands on his feet? A proper "only in wrestling" spot.

The Jumping Nothing as it’s come to be referred to. Evan as kid, me and brother hated those

Edited by WyattSheepMask

One of the petty annoyances with me was always the timing between the entrants in a Rumble match. The older Rumble matches would usually stick to the advertised 2 minutes or near enough at first, then gradually have some come out at just over a minute or even less pending their planned spot.

Edited by Perry

• Paid Members

I've always been annoyed when wrestlers wear something that would give them a big advantage in kayfabe terms, but they don't take advantage of it. For example, Kanes first mask, which would obviously act as protection from getting punched or kicked in his face, but it wasn't really built into his character or any of his matches from what I remember.. One that annoyes me at the minute, is Roman Reigns SWAT vest/ body armour thing. It's got really pronounced padding in the baack that would cushion any falls he takes a little, but again, it's completely ignored.

I'd use it them the same way Greg Valentine used to use the shin pad thing to meke the figure four a lot more "painful".

When ring announcers say tag team partners names the wrong way. 

I remember Debra saying “Christian and Edge” that one time.

”Smash and Ax”, “Butch and Luke”, “Jeff and Matt”. Fuck that, I’m not having it. 

The only advantage to WWE micromanaging everything is that this doesn’t happen now.

”Animal and Hawk” night spoiled.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

That time Kairi Sane visibly overshot her elbow drop a bit so Shayna could choke her out annoyed me no end.

Also championship title who the fuck talks like that? It's either championship or title to me and that's it.

Disgustingly any kid under the age of ten uses championship title almost exclusively. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Christian and Edge got said often. I’m sure I heard Howard Finkel say it that way a couple of times and it always annoyed me. 

I presumed it would be common to say the more talented, entertaining and likeable partners name first? So Christian and Edge is correct.

• Paid Members
On 5/11/2020 at 12:02 AM, Suplex Sinner said:

It's been covered here many times but "surprise" run ins where the music hits and they come out in their ring gear just kills me.

If you're not on the card or scheduled to be "in the arena" in your capacity as a wrestler and you're just there to f*ck your current foe up then make it believable by being in civvies. I get the music hitting might be to signal the fans but if that's the case the guy in the ring should scarper. No good can come of hanging around.

IMG_20200513_002010848.jpg

IMG_20200513_002038220.jpg

IMG_20200513_002101603.jpg

• Paid Members

Guys being in their ring gear when doing run ins etc used to wind me up, but then I came to terms with it on the basis we're now a good two decades into an era when at least as many matches have been "booked on the fly" as have been announced in advance. You also get the circumstances where someone is attacked backstage and a replacement opponent/partner is needed there and then.

I don't see it as too much of a logical leap to consider that everyone is told to be at Raw/Smackdown/whatever at a particular time, dressed ready to compete in case they are needed. Consider the unused substitute in football, or the literally thousands of American football players at the college level who will dress every Saturday for 4 years knowing they'll never see the field except in the most unlikely circumstances.

Also - if one presumes most wrestlers have selected their ring gear with optimal mobility & support during competition in mind - if you're planning for a week to come out and do some moves on your hated rival the next time you are in the same building, why wouldn't you put on the outfit that gives you the best chance of doing that successfully without getting hurt yourself?

• Paid Members

there was a run of what felt like months in the early '00s where it seemed like every time they showed people talking in the locker room, Funaki would be in the background lacing up his boots, and he would never have a match that show.

Wrestlers wearing their merch before / during matches. Especially when it's wrestlers who wouldn't normally wear that kind of t-shirt.

It just makes them look like a massive advertising board and basically highlights what they are - a character designed to make money. 

• Paid Members

Wearing their merch isn't an issue. It happens in most real sports and UFC to carry sponsor logos, etc. There are some people it really doesn't suit which is where it's a shame they don't put a bit more thought into things. But overall, it's not the worst crime.

Randy Orton always wearing his trunks when he's not wrestling cracks my up. The fucking WUM.