Petty Annoyances

On 5/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, BomberPat said:

"He just loves to have fun!" - well who doesn't? Surely that's the definition of fun?

We could fill this thread with WWE-isms. Even watching 70s stuff on the Network, Vince can't speak like a human being - he strikes me as like one of those pricks who thinks that using a lot of big words will make him sound smarter, only the sportscaster equivalent of that.

His steadfast refusal to use (or let anyone else use) pronouns on commentary leaves him saying things like, "that certain individual, being one Mr. Fred Blassie".

Same as this 'this is fun to watch Maggle" line. Agh. You don't Haave to tellus something is fun to watch. It's over used agh. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, BomberPat said:

"He just loves to have fun!" - well who doesn't? Surely that's the definition of fun?

We could fill this thread with WWE-isms. Even watching 70s stuff on the Network, Vince can't speak like a human being - he strikes me as like one of those pricks who thinks that using a lot of big words will make him sound smarter, only the sportscaster equivalent of that.

His steadfast refusal to use (or let anyone else use) pronouns on commentary leaves him saying things like, "that certain individual, being one Mr. Fred Blassie".

I reckon there were various WWF commentary catchphrases that I heard as a kid and assumed were commonly-used phrases. I vaguely remember describing everything as a miscarriage of justice for a bit.

A quirk I have along the same lines, but even more niche, is spotting wrestling fans who were big into Power Slam during their formative reading/writing years, because Fin Martin had his own wrestle-vocabulary. The most egregious of these is using the nicknames "Undi'" and "Tripper" but there are various other telltale signs of it that hit me right in the nostalgia. Supremo, for example, used one of Fin's superlatives ("blistering") to describe a match the other day and it instantly took me back to reading the magazine. I'm always paranoid that my own use of brackets is a bad habit I picked up from that mag as well.

4 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I reckon there were various WWF commentary catchphrases that I heard as a kid and assumed were commonly-used phrases. I vaguely remember describing everything as a miscarriage of justice for a bit.

A quirk I have along the same lines, but even more niche, is spotting wrestling fans who were big into Power Slam during their formative reading/writing years, because Fin Martin had his own wrestle-vocabulary. The most egregious of these is using the nicknames "Undi'" and "Tripper" but there are various other telltale signs of it that hit me right in the nostalgia. Supremo, for example, used one of Fin's superlatives ("blistering") to describe a match the other day and it instantly took me back to reading the magazine. I'm always paranoid that my own use of brackets is a bad habit I picked up from that mag as well.

"This post drew five upvotes. The one before it pulled in two. The one before that..." etc

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

“The WWE.” The World Wrestling Entertainment? Makes no sense.

I can understand if it was a hangover from “the WWF” (which makes sense: the World Wrestling Federation). But it’s been nearly 20 years now.

I was the same with WCW. Hated it whenever anyone said "The WCW".

To be fair to WWE though, the companies official name is just "WWE" now(not "World Wrestling Entertainment" shortened to WWE), so "the WWE" does work now...