Petty Annoyances

Commentators using the term "kicked out" or a similar variant when a wrestler doesn't actually kick out, but simply raises a shoulder off the canvas. Also relating to pinfalls...when wrestlers limply raise one of their opponent's legs when attempting a pinfall, it's like they don't have a clue what they are attempting to do.

I could spend all day on Nigel McGuinness, but when he calls a cravat a three-quarter nelson it really irritates me. You only have to look at a half nelson and at a full nelson and it's not difficult to see that a three-quarter nelson has to involve hooking one of the arms which doesn't happen in a cravat.

I don't mind the kick out thing. It is a kick out even if they don't "kick" out. What else would they say? "shoulder up" sounds a little long winded. 

I hate the WWE Universe and other stupid WWE-isms. Medical facility is another. ERGH. Its a fuckin hospital. They are fans and wrestlers who have matches and feuds over titles and belts. For god sake. If Vince hates "wrestling" so much he should get out of it. 

• Paid Members

You may already know this, but they apparently use "medical facility" rather than specifying "hospital" in an attempt to prevent nutcases showing up at the nearest hospital to the arena to try to meet whoever has been taken there.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Statto said:

You may already know this, but they apparently use "medical facility" rather than specifying "hospital" in an attempt to prevent nutcases showing up at the nearest hospital to the arena to try to meet whoever has been taken there.

Yup but it annoyed me as a lad because then you knew it was a work (isn't everything!?) and then be waiting for the inevitable run in later on from the person taken to said medical facility.

I'd be raging at the use of the term and then raging if aforementioned run in never happened. Wrestling fans eh? Can't please them!  😂

One I just thought of is when wrestlers buy front row tickets for a show they might be banned from (storylines obviously). Usually always ringside on the day of the show.

I know its all part of the show, just unrealistic unless they've gone onto stub hub and paid a small fortune. 

2 minutes ago, SiWri said:

I get pettily annoyed when referees don't look at the shoulders when counting a pinfall. Earl Hebner was particularly annoying for that. 

Except when he'd count for the first two, then stab his fingers under their shoulder to 'make sure'.

• Paid Members

I used to hate the way, when doing a two count, he would sort of collapse dramatically before the 3. He did it more and more as he went on. Always got on my tits.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Briefcase said:

One I just thought of is when wrestlers buy front row tickets for a show they might be banned from (storylines obviously). Usually always ringside on the day of the show.

I know its all part of the show, just unrealistic unless they've gone onto stub hub and paid a small fortune. 

Who wouldn't swap their ringside ticket with Goldberg for a few quid and a picture? That Brock Lesnar guy would fellate him too.

When a guy takes a pin fall without any struggling to kick out, as if out of it, then springs up like nothing happened.watching TLC ‘11 and Big Show has just taken a DDT onto chairs from Menry....2 mins later Daniel Bryan comes in, covers Show who is not moving an inch, and on the 3 he immediately springs  up to his knees And stares at D-Bry whilst holding his hand. Not once looking groggy from the chair-assisted DDT. A little bit of selling doesn’t hurt. 

Edited by NorthSeaTiger

• Paid Members

Ooh, that reminds me...

Pin "break-ups" during tag/multi person matches where the interloper lightly taps the pinner on the back whilst leaping over the pile and the ref just stops counting despite the fact the pinnee is still fully covered and has their shoulders down.

This is 90% of pin break-ups these days.

• Paid Members

Jim Ross. I thought it was only in later years he was honking on the mic but I have randomly watched Shamrock vs Taker from Survivor Series 1998 and JR had this to say:

"Those kicks to the hamstrings...the hamstrings are the quadriceps which is the biggest muscle in the body." 

Followed by:

"Here comes Bradshaw with a ball bat."

Rotten commentary.

5 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Earl Hebner was pretty terrible. I didn’t realise at the time but watch it back and he’s distractingly rubbish a lot of the time.

This. He was always the big ref for big matches, but watching his stuff nowadays, his little things were garbage. The sloooow cadence of the count when a match was finishing, which was utterly different to the rest of the match, his “ sliding “ his counting hand into the shoulder of the offensive wrestler when registering a 2-count, his constant getting in their faces. I think it was BomberPat that said that a great referee blends in and is unnoticeable until needed. Nick Patrick was other one, he lay on his side and rolled onto his back on a 2 which was always a giveaway. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't mind the kick out thing. It is a kick out even if they don't "kick" out. What else would they say? "shoulder up" sounds a little long winded. 

He / she / they got the shoulder up, unless pronouns are banned. I used to hear that a lot, especially with those who always clearly did little more than roll a shoulder up.