Petty Annoyances

Was thinking of this the other day and discussion in the random thoughts thread reminded me of a few. What are those occurrences in wrestling that annoy you more than they should or that really probably shouldn't annoy you at all.

It was changing of gear in the random thoughts thread that got me thinking of examples such as - Kurt Angle switching to wearing almost all black singlets. Just never sat right with me. The Rock used to wear those backless boots with his calf exposed. Those were his thing. Then one week he's suddenly got normal full boots on and i was bloody fuming, i tell you. Steve Austin went through a phase of having his knee braces fancy colours. What was that about!? Similarly, Randy Orton decided to stop wearing wrist tape for a bit and he looked naked, proper got on my wick. When two guys regularly wear different colours, but manage to wear the same colours when wrestling each other. Boils my piss!

People like Big Show or Undertaker winning or even challenging for the Intercontinental title. No.

I have a completely irrational dislike for those that have a physique best described as 'lanky streak of piss' in general. That very much bleeds over into wrestling as just think they seem so utterly unimposing. Skinny, lanky bastards in wrestling - Grinds my fucking gears!

So c'mon, what are just some really menial, petty, pointless things in wrestling that shouldn't bother you, yet irk you something chronic.

• Paid Members

When the Big Show was using that knockout punch as a finisher. Even while suspending my disbelief, I couldn't quite fathom why he didn't just do that as soon as the bell rang and win instantly. It's different from other finishers in that you can just do a punch straight away and yet he never did. Annoyed the fuck out of me. 

3 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Wrestled Goldust at that show the lights went out without his assistance. Was that for the IC title? It was just before Goldy lost the belt to Ahmed.

Quick Google check says this is right so fair enough, pretty sure I was still watching at the time so were they actually in a program? Or was it just to put a match on the PPV? 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

More ring gear related from me but Big Show and Cody Rhodes not wearing knee pads always made me wince, especially knowing the issues guys can have with knees.

This is a big one for me. My knees are absolutely fucked, one more than the other, and I wince every time I see people wrestle without pads. Always makes them look weirdly naked too.

I hate just about every Vince McMahon verbal tic and WWE-ism, from local medical facility to "joining me now, my guest at this time", but the one that probably irrationally gets me more than any other is Michael Cole describing someone as, "a former World champion in his own right". Oh, so he's not just a former World Champion by association then, is he? Completely fucking redundant. 

I also hate WWE-isms being used in any other kind of wrestling. I knew people who would refer to women's wrestling in any other company as "the Divas match". Indie promotions referring to their wrestlers as "superstars" as if it's interchangeable with the word "wrestler". WOS doing "don't try this at home videos" where they called themselves "sports entertainment". WWE made all of this up, you don't have to say it too.

• Paid Members

It's been covered here many times but "surprise" run ins where the music hits and they come out in their ring gear just kills me.

If you're not on the card or scheduled to be "in the arena" in your capacity as a wrestler and you're just there to f*ck your current foe up then make it believable by being in civvies. I get the music hitting might be to signal the fans but if that's the case the guy in the ring should scarper. No good can come of hanging around.

12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This is a big one for me. My knees are absolutely fucked, one more than the other, and I wince every time I see people wrestle without pads. Always makes them look weirdly naked too.

This was a massive missed opportunity when Cody was doing his Undashing gimmick, which was otherwise excellent, with its storyline motivation and other gimmicks like paperbagging his opponents after beating them. They really should have used his bare-kneed knee drop as a gimmick, using bone on bone to disfigure his opponent the way he was. They could have even played up how Cody was so unhinged, he was destroying his own knees to do so, because he was so consumed by how grotesque he thought he was.