Petty Annoyances

• Paid Members

The two who I got irrationally annoyed at being made to wear their merch were Shinsuke Nakamura and Bray Wyatt. Nakamura's appeal was, in part, about him having a fairly unique aesthetic, in terms of how he dressed, his ring gear, and how he carried himself. The moment you just throw a generic WWE Shop™ T-shirt on him, that's out the window.

Bray even moreso - and this is really soon after he debuted, so he still felt special and had something of an aura about him. Then he shows up in a T-shirt you can buy at the merch table - was he down at the compound getting Erick Rowan to log on to WWE.com and order him one?

• Paid Members

Going back to the original post, with notes about outfits - when Shawn Michaels came back, why did he drop the awesome hand-wrap gloves he wore in 1997, in favour of stupid plain boring born-again-Christian white wrist tape? Look at those bad boys.

C-MBzp6XgAA-z1R.jpg

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

Going back to the original post, with notes about outfits - when Shawn Michaels came back, why did he drop the awesome hand-wrap gloves he wore in 1997, in favour of stupid plain boring born-again-Christian white wrist tape? Look at those bad boys.

No idea but I think he had all new gear for the most part with a few instances in 2003-2004 of using old tights and by 2005 he was wearing the baggy pants. Could it be he wanted to distance himself from that time in his life or perhaps i'm just looking into it too much.

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

It's the opposite of a petty annoyance, but I love it when the fists are taped up on the punching hand. One of those subtle visual cues, and plays into what someone said earlier about outift changes reflecting character changes or angles. I think Cody's the only one I've seen with this of late.

6 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

It's the opposite of a petty annoyance, but I love it when the fists are taped up on the punching hand. One of those subtle visual cues, and plays into what someone said earlier about outift changes reflecting character changes or angles. I think Cody's the only one I've seen with this of late.

A similar sort of thing!

What about the love of "Street Fight Clothes" like in the old NWA "War Games"? Jeans, bandannas, cowboy boots, taped up hands etc. etc. ❤️ 

When wrestlers in a singles match apply an abdominal stretch and use the ring rope for supposed added leverage, it's like the laws of physics don't exist. The spot, when done correctly, involves using a tag team partner (or manager/valet, but there's not many of them about these days) pulling on the wrestler in the ring which would apply added leverage. Pulling on the rope (or if you're Christopher Daniels, simply resting your hand on the top rope and making no discernible effort to apply any supposed leverage) on your own does nothing, as Newton's Third Law of Motion has stated for centuries. They do it best in joshi matches in Japan where you can get a human chain through the crowd adding leverage, I couldn't find any youtube examples quickly though.

That squeaky voice over guy they've been using almost exclusively since Freddie Blassie stopped doing PPV intros. They'll get celebrities and the odd bit of variance for WrestleMania packages every now and then, but he's been all over the product for about twenty years and I'm not sure anyone knows who he is. 

This is the guy. He's irksome and he won't seem to go away. There's something so modern WWE about him. I just associate him with desperately trying to convince us of how cool stuff like Bragging Rights and Night of Champions is, over the top of some awful rawk track. 

Maybe nasally would be a better word, but I don't think that's a deep voice at all. He sounds like he isn't in possession of a nose! 

On the subject of intros they all come off the same now esp the B PPVs. This year's WM one wasn't bad until they just added the usual stuff midway through. I liked the WM13 intro, so good and highlighted individual matches and Summerslam 1998s brilliant Highway to Hell themed intro was ace. 

• Paid Members

Kane needing to wear a wig if he wants to put his mask on and Undertaker not being allowed to don the hat and coat if his hair isn't long made my blood boil. They're just behind all fooballers deciding to start snapping their hands like Ali G when they get fouled as the pettiest thing I'd be willing to throw hands over. Just... why?

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

At least his first Law said irish whips are ok though, eh?

No, it's the Second Law of Motion which is to do with force and acceleration. Some people do actually perform an Irish whip that looks vaguely plausible, unlike the majority who send people flying across the ring with a tiny application of force. But since everyone agrees the overwhelming majority of Irish whips look completely stupid, I chose not to bother shooting fish in a barrel.