Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

A bit earlier than that I think. I'm thinking that the 50th anniversary of the end of WW2 was the starting point then through to Saving Private Ryan and then Band Of Brothers really fired up the military worship. So mid 90s early 2000s.

Those guys in Band Of Brothers were really there. You only need to look at Dick Winters service record to see that. 

Let's not forget the mega combo of Soldier Soldier and the singing careers of Robson and Jerome who I think hit number one on the 50th anniversary of VE day with Unchained Melody and White Cliffs of Dover

Out of interest, what were Sir Tom Moore's values? I know he liked walking and wanted the NHS to have more money (both quite amiable) but the Prime Minister had asked the country to show respect for "all that he stood for and believed in." I kinda want a bit more information about what he stood for and believed in before I respect all of it. 

And besides, the thing that we all know he stood for (well, he actually put in the effort and walked for it) was giving the NHS more money during a pandemic. Maybe the Prime Minister might want to look into that instead of clapping someone else for doing his job.

Edited by Vamp

Fucks sake. Imagine the uproar if a centenarian from Sith Ifrika raised loads of dosh for charity and was rewarded with a trip to England for him and his family. 
Stay Home, protect the NHS, unless there is political capital to be had. Fucking ghouls. 

Well I forgot all about the bloody clap tonight (fuck off anyone putting that in out of context) and went out to put a bin bag in the wheelie bin.

As I went to go back in I spotted my over the road neighbour with his dog and presumed he was going for a jaunt, I waved and went to go in only for the bastard street to erupt into applause. Did I fuck hang about though, dinner was on and it was raining. 

• Paid Members

Pure deflection that is a bastardisation of what the guy actually did. He’s a household name because he took it upon himself to raise money for an underfunded health service that was on its knees and being provided with PPE that wouldn’t be fit for a Sandwich Artist©. Admirable, yes, but should have been completely unnecessary. But that’s more or less forgotten now and it’s all about that Bulldog Spirit that he evoked. So, sorry but I’m not going to get onboard and clap with that dithering cunt and pretend that this is all a completely normal state of affairs and is something that should be celebrated.

Same principal applies to the “our boys” and Help for Heroes lot. Why don’t you start asking why the fuck we are sending teenagers to their deaths for the sake of pretence that we’re some moral broker of the world rather than backwards country with a palpable superiority complex that we are. Or maybe stop voting in the party that has overseen homelessness more than double in the last 10 years with up to 20% of those reported to be veterans? Nah, just wear your wristband and stick a poppy on your car, that provides some real solace for the families burying their kids. 

29 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Well I forgot all about the bloody clap tonight (fuck off anyone putting that in out of context) and went out to put a bin bag in the wheelie bin.

As I went to go back in I spotted my over the road neighbour with his dog and presumed he was going for a jaunt, I waved and went to go in only for the bastard street to erupt into applause. Did I fuck hang about though, dinner was on and it was raining. 

Maybe they were happy you we’re fucking off back into your house you Try  Hard.

• Paid Members

Some good news: at the current vaccination rates (and with what appears to be an adequate supply), we should have a first vaccine shot for every UK adult and a second shot for every one in the top priorities (over 70/health or care home worker/clinically vulnerable) by the middle of June.

That won't mean completely pre-COVID normality, but it's probably a reasonable expectation that from the summer we'll have similar restrictions to last August/September with schools, pubs, restaurants and shops all open but with social distancing/masks and something like the "rule of six" on social gatherings. The big difference being that from there it's more likely things get slowly loosened up rather than restricted again.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'm struggling to remember how it was in Britain pre-Sept 11th, but I'm sure the army obsessed people were more of a jokey archetype, like Gareth in The Office always going on about the TAs.

My memories of the army in the mid-late 90s are that unless you were from a military family or were a Gareth, they were pretty much hated. I was working in a nightclub and squaddie night was something we dreaded because it meant a massive increase in fights, and more vicious fights at that. I don't even think it was due to drink, and more just part of their culture that they enjoyed beating people up, because there'd usually at least one incident before 9:30. I saw both men and women take kickings that I'd be amazed if they didn't leave lasting damage, and there was one occasion where I was convinced they'd killed the guy. The only time I've ever seen a man bottle a woman was from a squaddie who didn't want to wait his turn to get served.

The next morning we'd find half the windows in the town center boarded up, and usually some of the takeaways would have been trashed inside as well.

This was shortly before all the Deepcut and hazing stuff got revealed. Considering I'd always been told to join the army, so I could "see the world, learn a trade, and make a man out of me", I'm glad I didn't because skinny, non-aggressive me would have got eaten alive.

• Paid Members

Daily Mail are reporting that Boris Johnson is backing a "national clamour" for a statue of Captain Tom.

You just know they're absolutely chomping at the bit for the opportunity to write the first story about some disrespectful possibly foreign yob pissing against it.