Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Despite saying taking the knee was an "empty gesture". Shill.

This tickled me. I like the idea of him forgetting to take a watch or phone out with him and not knowing how long a minute is and having to stay there for ages to SALUTE BRAVE TOM.

Doesn't care what anyone thinks, yet is posting about it on twitter anyway

Edited by TomJones233

I realise it maybe isn’t your typical job but is there any other job that’s seems to define a life than being in the armed forces? I was a fork lift driver for twice as long as Tom Moore was in the army but I’m not Kounterbalance Keith. I guess it’s more aimed at those gammons who bang on about being ex army but were in the army for the minimum time and have been a security guard for 20 years. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I realise it maybe isn’t your typical job but is there any other job that’s seems to define a life than being in the armed forces? I was a fork lift driver for twice as long as Tom Moore was in the army but I’m not Kounterbalance Keith. I guess it’s more aimed at those gammons who bang on about being ex army but were in the army for the minimum time and have been a security guard for 20 years. 

It's not that surprising is it? I think we're probably the last generation who grew up knowing people who lived through one or two World Wars. Military service is beyond heroic to those people and is ingrained in society. I'm not certain but I think as that becomes ancient history, as living veterans cease to exist and as real experience of combat becomes Iraq and Afghanistan, maybe Bosnia and Northern Ireland, then it won't be quite so vaunted. Serving in Iraq sounded like hell on Earth but was never quite so real back here as the thought of Germans dropping bombs on our houses.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not that surprising is it? I think we're probably the last generation who grew up knowing people who lived through one or two World Wars. Military service is beyond heroic to those people and is ingrained in society.

There was definitely way more of a swing towards that attitude after 911. Less so over here, but certainly in the US, where all that "thank you for your service!" bowing and scraping wasn't a thing until then, and soldiers had been viewed in more of a lunkheaded "here's what you sign up to when you drop out of school" way. I'm struggling to remember how it was in Britain pre-Sept 11th, but I'm sure the army obsessed people were more of a jokey archetype, like Gareth in The Office always going on about the TAs. It wasn't until the Wootton Bassett lot started getting in the news showing maximum respect to the Brave Coffins coming back from Afghanistan that Poppymania began, and you became a traitor to your country if you didn't consider the armed forces walking Gods keeping us smelly, cowardly civilians safe from foreigns.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Never understood why there's such a forced insistance on thanking those who choose to join the army.

The sacrifices volunteers or conscripted people made in WW1 and WW2 compared to people choosing to join the army as a career are just worlds apart to me.

By absolutely no means am I saying this is the case for all people in the army but there were 3 people in my year at school who joined the army. All 3 of them would have struggled to spell it and openly bragged they had joined solely to shoot at people they used racial slurs to describe.

• Paid Members

The most I've ever seen people walk out of a gig was when I saw Jeremy Hardy and he said that the army was a job you chose to go into like any other, and that, "I joined the army but didn't expect to be sent to war!" is a nonsensical comment when you've signed up for one of the only jobs that carries the likelihood. Fully half of the audience harrumphed and walked out.

My father served in The Falklands. All he ever talked about was how shit scared he was. He's dead now sadly, my grandfather served in WW2 and urged my mum and uncle not to serve. The people who go on and on and on about serving usually are the ones who did the bare minimum and never actually saw conflict. Because if they did, They wouildn't think it was as wonderful.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Help For Heroes was established in 2007 which sort of feels like when this military worship began. Had a huge boost from Murdoch press, shockingly.

A bit earlier than that I think. I'm thinking that the 50th anniversary of the end of WW2 was the starting point then through to Saving Private Ryan and then Band Of Brothers really fired up the military worship. So mid 90s early 2000s.

Those guys in Band Of Brothers were really there. You only need to look at Dick Winters service record to see that. 

1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'm struggling to remember how it was in Britain pre-Sept 11th, but I'm sure the army obsessed people were more of a jokey archetype, like Gareth in The Office always going on about the TAs.

Yep. As I recall, Soldier Soldier was where things started to turn as suddenly squaddies were these lovable family men and not violent pissed up thugs. Of course, those who venerate Our Boys and liked it when you could tell jokes without caring who got offended would be snowflake central if this sketch which Arthur Matthews wrote all on his own aired today. 

• Paid Members

There is a pavlovian thing with military service and it can provide a sense of identity for some which can he problematic. For some they enter young and it becomes the thing that defines them and their self identity and worth the the world around them. Then when they leave they risk loosing that identity because they aren't living in that world anymore and can't or won't accept they are actually a normal person doing a normal job. 

Hence they cling to it, and you get some people today in there late 20s to early 40s who won't have a word said against it and cling to it because that job and that collective is still them and not the people who replaced them as it is to everyone else. 

Edited by Tommy!