Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Shops were due to reopen here tomorrow, and it was announced this afternoon that they won't any more because of a cluster of cases discovered in the supply chain - they've stopped short of naming the company, but they've said that it's a freight company that they've discover wasn't following guidance, not using PPE, not social distancing in the workplace, and still working while symptomatic. The former I can understand - not justify, but understand - as getting complacent when you're still being expected to work as normal, but working while showing symptoms is horrible. I'm sure there's going to be questions asked about whether it was employees acting inappropriately or under pressure from management, but there's a major scandal brewing there.

It's hard to blame the individuals if it's the employer refusing to provide them with PPE, and the workers being in the position of having to work without it or not get paid because they're in a job that isn't covered by furlough payments etc.

It sucks for businesses - there were shops prepping to open up for tomorrow, some of them stocking up on perishable goods that they now won't be able to sell, with no indication as to whether or not they'll get additional support for the now extra time they'll be expected to close. As a result, it means every other scheduled next phase of reopening has been put back by at least a week as well. It all shows how, especially in small communities, it really only takes one or two clusters to completely fuck it for everyone.

The same day that all of this came out, the local paper ran a story interviewing a gym owner talking about how he thinks gyms should be allowed to open, which is just a recurring bit of nonsense.

It led to a bunch of people sharing the same bullshit meme I've seen plenty of times before - a photo of a busy supermarket, saying "oh, so our kids aren't allowed to play football, we're not allowed to go to the gym, we're not allowed to meet with our families" and whatever else but "this is fine". Because apparently they haven't figured out that if we were allowed to play football and go to the gym, we wouldn't weirdly stop going to the supermarket as well.

Edited by BomberPat

39 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I used Karen inappropriately. Anyway it's just my opinion and I think I've definitely been scarred by social media and the abuse our services get.

Fair enough on that. Services do get abused but the police deserve it. Fuck them. You don’t hear people saying fuck the fire service or fuck the ambulances and there is a reason for that. 

@BomberPatYou’re right about the blame game. Loads of prosecutions and fines for individuals not complying with guidelines but have any businesses been prosecuted and fined for not being compliant? For a lot of people it’s the choice between going to work and risking it, or not eating or paying rent. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The same day that all of this came out, the local paper ran a story interviewing a gym owner talking about how he thinks gyms should be allowed to open, which is just a recurring bit of nonsense.

It led to a bunch of people sharing the same bullshit meme I've seen plenty of times before - a photo of a busy supermarket, saying "oh, so our kids aren't allowed to play football, we're not allowed to go to the gym, we're not allowed to meet with our families" and whatever else but "this is fine". Because apparently they haven't figured out that if we were allowed to play football and go to the gym, we wouldn't weirdly stop going to the supermarket as well.

While its human nature to look after your own interests, this sort of exceptionalism has annoyed me a lot over the past few months.

It doesn't help that pretty much every news bulletin for the best part of a year has lazily featured the owner of one business or another trying to argue that their particular industry should be exempt and allowed to re-open at the expense of everything else.

Has to be all or nothing, but it really took the piss when I saw the owner of a kid's indoor ball pool/play area, of all things, trying to argue the toss a few months ago. Barring a packed night club I can't think of anything less safe.

I'll freely admit to being continually fuming when people openly take the mickey at supermarkets. Christmas was particularly bad and I lost count of how many sets of two parents and a herd of kids were walking around packed shops like it was a family day out, just adding to the problem.

I've said it before, but before their forced closure in early December I felt ten times safer in my local pub on a Friday night, which was strict with social distancing.

The problem you have with supermarkets is while you can't really close them, it shouldn't mean carte blanche to treat them in a way you would have pre-March 2020. The First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, always says in the daily briefings that it shouldn't be a case of finding loopholes for "what can I do?", rather "what should I do?" About sums it up for me.

Edited by garynysmon

Schools reopening (for all) March 8th? Hmmm, I'll believe it when I see it.

I must say though, that I don't know about anyone else (suspect it is the same) but my kids have absolutely had enough of this.

First lockdown they got through it as I suspect they (and me I suppose) saw it as a bit of a novelty, and the weather helped as we could go out for a few hours in the day, but now nearly a whole year out of school, with a few months in between, they are definitely reaching the end of their tether. 11yo especially, and we're getting a bit worried about her mood and how she is, so hopefully schools can safely open soon. 

7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

We "hope" that'll happen.  I "hope" to get wanked off by c1995 vintage Cindy Crawford on Valentine's Day.  I'd say both are equally as likely at this point.

I hope to go a day without being asked how to add fractions or why we need to know what an auxiliary verb is, so schools opening safely can't come soon enough.

• Awards Moderator
51 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Fronted adverbials and all that shit always saddens me. 

Home schooling has hopefully highlighted to many how fucking inane most of the syllabus is. All Michael Gove's legacy of 1950s classroom tribute act. I hope people start to ask questions as to why technical grammar nomenclature or dividing fractions is taught to 10 year olds.

I've had to have the dreaded Covid test this morning. Woke up coughing and shoulder blades felt burning. Overall I don't feel mega awful but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've had the standard bout of sniffles over the last 12 months and been happy to soldier on but just feel odd today. I don't know if I have a lack of taste but my throat feels like its coated in film if that makes any sense. Is this a thing?

The worst part is feeling guilty about work as I am classed as a key worker and don't like taking time off. I feel terrible letting the side down but my manager was reassuring earlier. The only solace I can take at the moment is the naps and catching up on chores and TV I've been able to do so far. Well hoping for a negative result!!