Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

16 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Mrs Jazzy has been called and asked to go for her first vaccine this week, which means they're starting on the clinically extremely vulnerable round our way. My surname is close to the  end of the alphabet while hers is quite early, so I'd imagine I might have a week or two to wait before my turn. Still, shouldn't be too long. 

So neither of you are actually Mr and/or Mrs Jazzy? Kayfabe shattered.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So neither of you are actually Mr and/or Mrs Jazzy? Kayfabe shattered.

Sorry to disappoint you. Although if I was really kayfabing it we'd both be going in when they reached the "G" part of the list, so it's an even bigger swerve, bro. 

• Paid Members

Favourite story of the whole thing so far, from the Metro:

Guests at a house party that was shut down by police have claimed they were ‘unaware of the global pandemic’ because they ‘never watch the news’.

Amid a crackdown on people breaking lockdown rules, officers were sent to a house in Basingstoke, Hampshire, over the weekend after several neighbours reported there was a party going on.

When challenged over why they were breaking lockdown rules, the occupants responded that they were unaware of the restrictions.

A Hampshire Police tweet said: ‘Officers attended address in Basingstoke following several reports of a party at an address, and breaching lockdown guidelines.

‘The occupants were spoken to and claimed to be unaware of the global pandemic, as they never watch the news! #ThereAreNoWords #PoliceControlRoom’

Edit: quote fail

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I know they’re talking shit but I live near Basingstoke and can confirm that’s a pretty standard level of intelligence for the town. I work with someone who lives there, and she had to go home early from work one day because she accidentally drank fairy liquid (something that doesn’t even sound possible to me, so quite impressive really) 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Yep, that was representative of the stuff I was unfortunate to read last night. The video I mentioned in my previous post was all about life being full of risk and how we all need to take the risk rather than endlessly following the rules. Again, totally missing the point that if that’s what you decide you’re going to do, it’s often at the expense of the majority of other people who don’t want to, or (in many cases) cannot take the risk.

One of my exes has gone completely off the deep end with this stuff - she has some mental health issues that have meant that she has been largely out of work for years, so is prone to going down internet rabbit holes and being a bit out of touch with reality, but this and the US election has really pushed her into alt-right conspiracy territory. 

She posted something the other day joking about how we should "ban stairs and cars, because she might leave her house and get hurt by one of them - but at least we know stairs and cars are real". 

I don't have the patience to actually argue with this stuff any more - anyone still not treating Covid seriously at this point is beyond help - but I really wanted to say that, yes, you might injured by a car, but that's why we have speed limits, seatbelts, airbags, pedestrian crossings, driving licenses, and this whole set of rules that you abide by to try and mitigate that. You know, kind of like how the risk of Covid can be mitigated by social distancing, wearing masks, and so on. 

Though more than that, I wanted to point out that if she were hit by a car and ended up in hospital, her presence there wouldn't increase the likelihood of everyone else in the hospital being hit by a car. 

• Paid Members

Two reports in local news groups on Facebook this past weekend. One was a car being pulled over doing 90 on the M62 which contained 3 people from 3 different households going to Leeds for a takeaway, and a similar one involving people getting stopped driving from Preston to Bolton for a takeaway. 

The comments sections were full of "they were going to get food, so it's essential travel". 

Contrarian wanker Laurence Fox has declared that he has anxiety and bought a mask exemption lanyard from amazon, and I can't decide whether I'm angrier at him for his cuntishness, or the people on Amazon making money exploiting these kinds of morons. I guess they deserve each other. 

There is, or at least was, an actual NHS exemption card on the NHS's website that you could either print or keep saved on your phone if you had a legitimate reason to not wear a mask, and I know there are genuine reasons to not be able to wear one, but dickheads claiming a medical excuse when they're just a dickhead who doesn't want to wear a mask are just going to make things worse for people who actually can't wear a mask. And the lanyard thing also potentially goes some way to undermining the sunflower lanyard scheme for people with unseen disabilities who may need extra support in the shops. Mrs Jazzy has one. I contemplated grabbing one for when I invariably have a panic attack at Tesco, but I know if somebody came and tried to help me while it was happening it'd make things worse, so I just plod on. Fortunately we do most of the shopping at Asda. 

1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

Seems the Govt/tabloid strategy of getting the public to blame each other is working a treat.

'It's everyone else's fault & absolutely not me'

To be honest a lot of those YouGov polls on this are very ONE OR THE OTHER questions. For instance, I utterly loathe the governments handling of this while also seeing there's a bunch of dickheads who refuse to wear masks or social distance in the shops near me. Its probably easier for people to get angry about them than a Government in many ways as you're seeing it close up.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Though more than that, I wanted to point out that if she were hit by a car and ended up in hospital, her presence there wouldn't increase the likelihood of everyone else in the hospital being hit by a car. 

Everyone else might get Covid at the parties they'll have to celebrate her being run over though.

• Paid Members
On 1/18/2021 at 12:45 PM, BomberPat said:

it's just if Easyjet decide it's not worth their while as there's not enough people flying.

Guess what?

Yeah, Easyjet just cancelled my flight, and aren't flying to Jersey until March. I've managed to get booked onto a BA flight to Heathrow the same day, will have to do some juggling of the schedule to leave three hours earlier than planned, and to get picked up at Heathrow at lunch time rather than Gatwick in the evening, and just have to hope this one goes ahead as if it doesn't I'm pretty much out of options.

On the plus side, I'm getting a refund from Easyjet and paid for the BA flight with a voucher, so it's not actually cost me anything.

• Paid Members

I've got mine at 11 on Saturday morning. I'm going to accompany Mrs Jazzy to hers tomorrow (another swerve @SuperBacon, we're not even married!) and see whether they can squeeze me in a touch early, but Saturday is fine.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Favourite story of the whole thing so far, from the Metro:

Guests at a house party that was shut down by police have claimed they were ‘unaware of the global pandemic’ because they ‘never watch the news’.

Amid a crackdown on people breaking lockdown rules, officers were sent to a house in Basingstoke, Hampshire, over the weekend after several neighbours reported there was a party going on.

When challenged over why they were breaking lockdown rules, the occupants responded that they were unaware of the restrictions.

• Paid Members

My son went back to school on Tuesday, having had to isolate for ten days after a member of staff tested positive. 

Just received a message from school saying that someone else has tested positive so he's to isolate for another ten days.

Looks like I'll be self-medicating with Jaffa Cakes for the near future.