Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Definitely the same for me. I know holidays and things to do aren't important in the grand scheme of thing, but we'd saved for ages to go to Disney World with the kids in December for Christmas and it was really upsetting to not be able to go. I think mostly because they're at the age where they would've loved it, and I just hope it'll be the same excitement once we actually get to go there.

But even if it wasn't Disney World, I'd take anything right now. We usually go to Fuerteventura as a family in February and it's so weird to think we went there last year just before everything went to shit. Obviously not happening this year. It was always nice to just get a bit of sun away from the doom and gloom of Winter.

We even do stuff like Haven and Butlins etc, so it's not like we're overly fussy with holiday destinations. It's just nice to have that break from work and we just don't really have anything to look forward to at the moment.

Even something stupid like my birthday in a few weeks. I don't think I've ever cared less.

• Paid Members
On 1/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, John Matrix said:

I absolutely understand the concerns of people in the teaching profession re the level of risk they are being exposed to and I sympathise entirely

But having seen first hand what 14 weeks out of school did to my 4 and 5 year olds at the time during the last and first 'proper' lockdown - during which we, their parents, took every step possible to minimise their risk only to eventually concede and return them to school and childcare placements when it became clear that the toll it was taking on their mental health was every bit as significant as the physical risks we'd been trying to protect them from - if there is any safe way for them to be at school, then I would champion that cause to the hilt.

They didn't suddenly turn in to dinner mashers, or start defecating on the rug, but their mood became very erratic, they were highly sensitive and unpredictable, leading to lots of outburst and conflict which their daily 30 minute walk around the block failed to alleviate.  As parents, trying to juggle home working with home learning, they inevitably suffered from a lack of one to one time, and increased screen use either to give us some respite, or to carry out otherwise paper based or physical assignments from home.

The less they had to do, or perceived they could do, the less they wanted to, to the point where my son, who's a bit of a hair twiddler when he's tired/bored, gave himself a fucking bald patch such was the amount of time he spent lethargically sprawled out on the sofa sans motivation.

I'm not at all comfortable with this new narrative that we need schools to be providing 'childcare' - the nature of what we expect of our child's school provision hasn't changed one bit - but neither has our dependence on children attending so that we can work to earn and provide a home, heat, food and clothing - we simply cannot do the latter, without the former which is why any sort of lockdown, other than the 'whole world on pause' type, freezing bills, rent, mortgages (which should then rightly be extended to business owners), will continue to expose people to risk for absolutely fuck all long term gain.

As it stands, at 4:30 today, my wife (who works in a school office) has just been informed that her school will only be opening to key worker children this week - imagine how many families/parents are expecting to return to work tomorrow and will now need to make alternative arrangements, meanwhile our childrens school is ploughing ahead and re-opening tomorrow, but has written to us just now to hedge its bets ahead of the PM's announcement this evening, all because the poor sods haven't got a fucking clue, nor mandate, to take any concrete action.

Whichever way you slice it, there is a group of people who will have to suffer as a result of this incompetence and i'm not suggesting for a second that Teachers should in any way, suck it up - but I think there is an argument to be made that they provide a service every bit as important as our healthcare professionals, that similarly, cannot just be turned off or comprimised - still, it's all absolute fucking madness when you consider the bat farmers of Wuhan are up and about living life to the fullest eh?

So this ended up being a pretty fucking moot point as we’re now all self isolating after my youngest’s bubble at nursery has had a positive test.  My lad is showing no symptoms, yet, but likelihood is they wouldn’t surface for another few days yet, which is why my piss is well and truly boiling the more I’ve looked into the rules today, which suggest the lack of symptoms is leverage enough for my wife and elder two to return to work and school tomorrow.

Absolute fucking codswallop!  If we know one of us, and by extension, any of us, have been exposed then it’s lock the fucking door time, which is what we’ll do so some poor fucker else isn’t struck down during the latent phase.

Send positive vibes folks - the kids’ll be alright but I’m struggling as it at the minute and I fear I’ll be searching for the nearest multi-storey by the end of this!  I shouldn’t trivialise, but it’s all I’ve got at the mo!

• Paid Members

A rep from either Birmingham Council or Midlands health has been on the news a few times recently saying big businesses should test staff if they are working on site. I don't suppose anyone has a name or link to an article do they? 

I can't find anything useful on Google. 

• Paid Members

I know "you're allowed to X, but not Y" is a pretty tired complaint at this point, but after spending all of Christmas and New Year stuck inside self-isolating, and not being allowed to have any kind of indoor gatherings with people outside of my household, and having resigned myself to the fact that I won't see most of the people I know here again before I move in a month's time, I've got a viewing at my flat tomorrow.

So I can't invite a friend over, or meet them for a coffee, or see any of my family, but allowing a complete stranger into my home is perfectly fine.

I'm struggling to find an answer to this question, so someone might be able to help me with it. 

We've been taking our cars to be serviced and mot'd at the same garage for years. They're trustworthy and very well priced. The garage is 30 odd miles away though, and I don't know if it's OK to still travel there.

There's no justifiable reason why I can't take it somewhere local, other than it's my preference that I take it there. 

Is it allowed does anyone know, or should I not risk it? 

39 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Is it allowed does anyone know, or should I not risk it? 

As long as you're not stopping off at every shop inbetween yours and there I don't see the issue. Personally I'd risk it.

Edited by The Maestro
Send whilst driving to test my eyesight

• Paid Members

I've took to again doing like online zoom quizzes while in the house as I've been in a sense home alone for months now as I usually keep myself to myself when at either parents too.

Had two wins and a third this week by myself and won ÂŁ120 from it. It's nice to just have some regular zoom faces I chat too, get mocked about for liking wrestling and talk random nonsense too. Its like being in the pub with my mates.

22 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I've took to again doing like online zoom quizzes while in the house as I've been in a sense home alone for months now as I usually keep myself to myself when at either parents too.

Had two wins and a third this week by myself and won ÂŁ120 from it. It's nice to just have some regular zoom faces I chat too, get mocked about for liking wrestling and talk random nonsense too. Its like being in the pub with my mates.

Yeah that’s all well and good but did you win the Mulvey Quiz five or six times?