Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Its mad to me that people are going into Next stores for click and collect during this lockdown. They fucking deliver! Not sure it should count as essential to save £3.50 (or whatever the price is) delivery charge. 

Its like this country has just said "look, if the people dying can't wait for the vaccine why should we?" 

4 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

They most know something to prefer straight up cancelling flights four months in advance rather than holding onto my money.

They’ve only just received a £1.4bn bailout because they were in financial shit street. Had they not got the bailout then yeah, they’d have kept your money for as long as possible. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

You almost have to go out of your way to not be a keyworker now.  "Stay home"

The company my friend works for have written approval from the government that their staff are key workers. Guess what they do? Store and deliver private wine orders for wealthy owners. 

• Paid Members

It’s a load of shit isn’t it. I noticed during the zoom meetings this week my daughters classroom has been growing and growing. There was a kid there on Friday who’s Dad is a minted accountant working from home and his Mum is on maternity leave. 

Apologies that this is libraries related but there's a wonderful twitter exchange involving the leader of Richmond Council.

They promoted their reserve and collect service on twitter. Someone replied that just because you can invite people to use your service doesn't mean you should. The leader of the council replied "Nobody is being invited, we're just providing it for those who choose to use it." Its just so wonderfully pedantic.

"Just because we're promoting a service doesn't mean we're encouraging people to use it."

Wonder if that works with house parties. "I didn't invite them to my house for a party officer, I just provided them with knowledge that I had a house should they wish to use it." 

• Paid Members

Ralphy, do you have kids? I don't, so that's why I don't tend to get involved in any discussion/debate on closing schools because without first hand experience of it and its effects I know fuck all about it so keep my thoughts to myself.

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

Some i feel are treating it as a way to get rid of the kid for a bit, as free childcare of sort, its not on 

As a parent, I'll give you my honest experience on this:

School/nursery is the absolute last place I want to be sending my kids right now. Thankfully we have a furloughed mother in law (as part of our bubble) who is willing to look after them for a few days a week, and then my wife looks after them on the days she's not working.

Having had to deal with home schooling last time round when we were both working as well - it's a fucking nightmare. Absolutely destroyed us both because teaching is a full time job in itself, and then trying to hold down actual jobs too? I've never felt stress like it and I know my wife suffered so much from the pressure of trying to do her job to a good standard AND home school to a good standard. You don't want to let your work down. You don't want to let your kids down and have them fall behind either. But there's only so many hours in a day.

No one's asked to be in this situation. We're all doing what we can, but we all have breaking points and what we can cope with etc.

Personally the 'you don't give a shit about anyone if you're still sending your kids in' attitude that some people have (and I know you didn't say that) really isn't helpful to those that are struggling. Some people - especially key workers - really do need this kind of support.

We all have our own personal circumstances so (and I hope this comes across as polite and not argumentative) I think it's best that people aren't too judgey of the decisions others are making. It's never quite as clear cut as it looks, and it's far easier to judge when you're not going through it.

• Paid Members

As someone who is currently sending my little boy to nursery, I feel without the option to send him there two days a week, his experience of being at home while we are both working would not be good for him at all.

He would have limited attention, end up in trouble due to being bored and playing up and end up being plonked Infront of the telly most of the day. 

With nursery being open, it allows him breathing space to play, enjoy his day and learn. 

Myself and his mother both work from home, but that doesn't mean that we are 'getting rid of him for a day', also, it's not free childcare when it costs £56 a day. 

Maybe stop generalising situations that can differ from household to household. 

Just now, Nick James said:

With nursery being open, it allows him breathing space to play, enjoy his day and learn. 

Myself and his mother both work from home, but that doesn't mean that we are 'getting rid of him for a day', also, it's not free childcare when it costs £56 a day. 

Maybe stop generalising situations that can differ from household to household. 

Good point I forgot to mention - we're still paying for nursery but not using it. We're lucky to be in a position where we're not having to, but yes certainly not free.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Most of us on here have no first hand wrestling experience and we still comment about that, so whats really much different? 

One is a form of entertainment and the other is a complex issue that differs wildly for each individual person based on their circumstances which you have no knowledge of.