Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Ralphy just so you don't feel like everyone is piling on you you really need to understand this. Covid is impacting everyone in different ways, the schooling situation is a nightmare for everyone, teachers and parents alike. Mental health is at an all time high with adults and children, people are stressed and scared.

This thread has allowed people somewhere to voice thoughts and unload some stress, having an opinion is fine but you need to read the mood. You have asked countless times about walking in this thread, its obviously important to you and people get that so you are usually get a helpful response, i am sure there are a few people who have thought 'fucking hell, he is asking about walking again' but they have tended to keep it to themselves.

This forum has shown how supportive it can be and there is a real sense of community in here. I would just advise you to remember how many people reach out to you before making a comment that may add to someone's stress or guilt over decisions they may make to keep everyone in their family safe both mentally and from covid.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

Schools will properly close in 2 weeks when the numbers continue to rise, hopefully there will be a crackdown on non essential business being shut as well. 

Schools never properly closed during the last lockdown - we still have Key Workers' kids going in - there's no way they can be closed if we want the NHS/other essential services to keep running.

I imagine less parents would be sending their secondary-aged kids if the government had actually followed through on their promise to provide them with laptops/better broadband - but instead of doing that they just changed the definition of vulnerable to put those kids in that bracket instead. 

Then when you have big Gav telling people to report their school to OFSTED if they aren't "doing enough" to support the children at home, so why would schools risk that when it's just easier to let the children come into school? 

It's an absolute mess, and they still won't be held accountable despite the fact that this country is getting higher and higher death tolls and none of the media seems to care. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

Most of us on here have no first hand wrestling experience and we still comment about that, so whats really much different? 

I think you have really hit upon something here. We should only post on things we are expert in. You can make 2 threads. 1 about never listening to any advice you are given and a 2nd about wallowing in self-pity instead of making any positive changes in your life.

For someone who is in their mid thirties you still act like an absolute child so why don't you fuck off and grow up. 

For everyone else who thinks I may have been harsh to Ralph, don't worry he never listens to anything that doesn't confirm his own point of view anyway. He will be back to telling all of you parents with kids what you are doing wrong shortly. 

• Paid Members

I know that the current situation is very grim but people I know are starting to get vaccinated and the idea that something good and real is finally happening that is protecting the people I care about is a small but significant bit of relief in this current shitty situation. 

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

I know that the current situation is very grim but people I know are starting to get vaccinated and the idea that something good and real is finally happening that is protecting the people I care about is a small but significant bit of relief in this current shitty situation. 

That's pretty much all I'm holding on to at the moment.

One of my main concerns has always been my mum - she's 70something now (I always forget), and my main concern was that she'd get it and have absolutely no chance. So to know that she'll hopefully be getting something soonish is a very small bit of hope in an otherwise bleak situation.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

My grandma is 90 and has been told she's not priority, my wife's gran has had her second dose cancelled in line with the new approach... 🤷🏽

My 98 year old Grandad had his first dose, he decided to call up the GP to find out what was happening with his second and to what date it had been pushed back to.

His Doc told him they were ignoring Govt guidelines and maintaining the advice given by Pfizer. He's since had his second vaccination.

On the Ralphy and schools being used as babysitting services. It's happening at my kids school, I know of two kids where the dad is a key worker, the mother isn't, so they qualify. They're no longer a couple and live apart and mother doesn't work at all yet the kids are going to school because they can.

My sister is a primary school teacher and reports similar. Many schools an LEAs are actively looking at the criteria set and seeking to stop some children going to school where there are parents at home. The slack nature of this lockdown IS in places being taken advantage of by some.

1 minute ago, Teedy Kay said:

The slack nature of this lockdown IS in places being taken advantage of by some.

And it always will be by someone because that's just what some people are like. If rules are there to be 'interpreted' and not set in concrete, people will find ways around them.

My wife has a few friends who seem to be doing the same thing. I haven't got involved too much but she has been wondering why their kids are going in when they seem to have the means to keep them at home. But as I said before, we don't know what happens behind closed doors and the potential challenges people face. But yes, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if some people were absolutely taking advantage. Not all parents are good parents after all.

• Paid Members

Also worth noting that more people are being told they are key workers than in the first lockdown. So on the outside it may seem that one of the parents shouldn't need to work and common sense may dictate that but they are being told otherwise. 

For example my friend is an electrician and during the first lockdown he stayed at home. He is now being told he is a key worker. I put my hand up to not fully understanding what's different but the key thing is he is being told he has to go to work. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Also worth noting that more people are being told they are key workers than in the first lockdown. So on the outside it may seem that one of the parents shouldn't need to work and common sense may dictate that but they are being told otherwise. 

For example my friend is an electrician and during the first lockdown he stayed at home. He is now being told he is a key worker. I put my hand up to not fully understanding what's different but the key thing is he is being told he has to go to work. 

They're not Key Workers, they're 'critical workers' which is the govts means to keep the country as open as possible even though they have said we're in a lockdown.

I was part of an operation for PPE delivery in Lockdown 1 and the roads were deserted, last week travelling to Notts all week they were rammed. This isn't a lockdown in any way shape or form, neither was the second one.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

They're not Key Workers, they're 'critical workers' which is the govts means to keep the country as open as possible even though they have said we're in a lockdown.

I was part of an operation for PPE delivery in Lockdown 1 and the roads were deserted, last week travelling bro Notts all week they were rammed. This isn't a lockdown in any way shape or form, neither was the second one.

I don't disagree with you and I'm sure they should in theory as employees take that stance. I was more trying to indicate what I see as a change in attitude if employers.

The Facebook algorithm in my online bubble has dozens of acquaintances sharing "stop the lockdown - suicide callouts are up 50%" posts. Last week, it was "stop the lockdown - it defies human social nature." The week before, it was "stop the lockdown - everyone's ignoring it." 

At what point does the government make its play for what it wanted all along? Through incompetence or 'happy accident', it feels like more and more public are calling for herd immunity, because they'll be alright. Lockdown and the government's lacklustre implementation of lockdown are being conflated as one and the same. The government slowly but surely seem to be getting what they want.

I guess there'll be another cash injection at the top, in the form of furlough extensions or business relief, that perfect blend of trickle-down economics, cronyism, and 'let the proles sort themselves out', absolving themselves of blame for not investing those funds in support services that would benefit those on the knife edge. An easing of the tiers, which tax the NHS to official breaking point. Then in 12-18 months, we are back where we were as a society 2 years previously, albeit with those who cried for an end to lockdown now paying monthly for rudimentary private health care, and therefore one less column on the budget for the Treasury to fill.

Edited by CavemanLynn