Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is just more Tory bullshit isn’t it. They can blame people for not sticking to rules that aren’t clearly defined. I mean what is local? (No league of gentlemen pics please). How can that be enforceable? It means something different to everyone because it’s not defined in distance. 

To be clear, because you appear to have misunderstood, I was talking of the law on driving to and from an mot test center. I assume if I booked an mot in a center in Cornwall and took my Sorn car off down there for a test they would make my life difficult regardless of if it's technically legal or not (and I would assume some covenant to account for such a thing if you look into the meat and potatoes of it to make it not legal) , so I wouldn't advise it. 

Edit: the caveat seems to be you can't stop anywhere there or back, so I could legally drive it as far away as half a tank of petrol will get me to a pre booked MOT, then drive straight back again. 

However despite the letter of the law I wouldn't trust the police to not make life difficult if they wanted to, even if I haven't done anything wrong. 

Edited by Tommy!

Just now, Tommy! said:

To be clear, because you appear to have misunderstood

No I understood, I just quoted those words to highlight how shit the rule is regarding “Stay Local”. My point wasn’t exclusive to car garages. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No I understood, I just quoted those words to highlight how shit the rule is regarding “Stay Local”. My point wasn’t exclusive to car garages. 

I see, mine wasn't in anyway related to or referencing any covid related rules you see, despite the thread. 

For record can you edit that post to make it look less like your implying I'm a Conservative by any chance? I've got some morals. 

From the Guardian today:

Dramatic language could be used in hard-hitting new anti-coronavirus adverts, warning that going for a coffee could kill. A national campaign is to be unveiled within days as the UK government eyes tougher restrictions amid a surge in infections.

One of the slogans being considered is “Don’t let a coffee cost a life”, it is believed. Another message in the campaign is “Covid takes the train too”.

The move is aimed at presenting a stark message to the public to try to ensure compliance with tough lockdown measures as the UK battles more highly transmissible variants of the virus.

I'm sure that'll be a big comfort to people working in coffee shops who are still going to work because the government hasn't told them to close. 

• Paid Members

Just bring back the old public information films to scare the shit out of everyone properly. Covid can have the same level of fear for this generation as i have for stagnant water/ open water/ flying kites next to power lines in no time.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Just bring back the old public information films to scare the shit out of everyone properly. Covid can have the same level of fear for this generation as i have for stagnant water/ open water/ flying kites next to power lines in no time.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Those AIDS ads were so damaging. They set a stigma that still exists today. I bet Priti Patel loves them. 

Oh man, I'm not sure I agree with that at all - I honestly think they saved lives, and too a far more grown-up approach to sex and contraception. Plenty of places refused to engage properly with AIDS and condom use, and saw it as a 'gay disease'. By treating it as something that could affect everyone, and encouraging safe sex generally, I think it was a rare thing to congratulate the government at the time about.

I totally get that it's aged, and I also get that AIDS/HIV is far from the life-sentence it was and that a stigma still exists around it. But look at what AIDS did to parts of Africa, where you had Catholic charities campaigning against condom use. For the time, it was hugely important. Ideally, what we need now is more public information showing us how people live with AIDS.

(Edit: If I'm missing context from the time, definitely interested in hearing - I've rarely heard anything other than praise about these campaigns, so I'd be genuinely interested if there are aspects to it I didn't know about)

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Those AIDS ads were so damaging. They set a stigma that still exists today. I bet Priti Patel loves them. 

Aye, I'd agree with that. This one (below) was aired frequently in Ireland when I was a nipper, and it - and me ma - terrified me to the point where I was afraid to touch those bar handle things on the seat in front of me on a bus in case I caught it. I was genuinely petrified of that illness, because...Ireland.
There was literally no education over here about it. It was genuinely borderline "Church says you'll get it if you rob a biscuit!".
I also had a secret fear of Brennans Bread because there was a song - and I'll never forget it - in the schoolyard that went "Don't buy Brennans Bread. You might get AIDS instead."
I've no idea where, why or how that even came to be, but it did, and it did a right number on me.

Then, an episode of 21 Jump Street genuinely made it better in my head when Johnny Depp hugged somebody with AIDS as a show of defiance. Never saw the episode since, but it stuck with me.

28 minutes ago, Chris B said:

dit: If I'm missing context from the time, definitely interested in hearing - I've rarely heard anything other than praise about these campaigns, so I'd be genuinely interested if there are aspects to it I didn't know about)

I’m coming from my time working for a HIV charity. All I heard from older service users was how it increased being isolated and feared, and lead to increased physical attacks. It also lead to heterosexual men with HIV being beaten up because they must have really been gay. 

They lead to ostracising people with HIV and charities regarding funding because it was seen as a dirty seedy disease that affected deviants. These ads reinforced that narrative. It lead to increased fear and didn’t do much for awareness. At least that’s my experience but I accept others have different ones. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
Record shops are not that bad.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m coming from my time working for a HIV charity. All I heard from older service users was how it increased being isolated and feared, and lead to increased physical attacks. It also lead to heterosexual men with HIV being beaten up because they must have really been gay. 

They lead to ostracising people with HMV and charities regarding funding because it was seen as a dirty seedy disease that affected deviants. These ads reinforced that narrative. It lead to increased fear and didn’t do much for awareness. At least that’s my experience but I accept others have different ones. 

I haven't heard much of that, and it's sad to read. I honestly thought that the ads had helped removed some of the homophobic stigma at the time, but that definitely gives context to it. Also, in hindsight, I was thinking of the larger campaign and the ads involving women working in the condom factory, so was thinking of the campaign as a whole. Thanks for the context, that's really useful to know..

I remember being in a history of medicine lesson and some prat in the class telling his friend that "gay people created AIDS" and realising that he was a lad that wasn't worth punching in the face in case you caught the viral stupidity he'd obviously picked up.