Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

My son went back to school on Tuesday, having had to isolate for ten days after a member of staff tested positive.Ā 

Just received a message from school saying that someone else has tested positive so he's to isolate for another ten days.

Looks like I'll be self-medicating with Jaffa Cakes for the near future.

And this is exactly why I cannot understand the logic of schools being re-opened. Happened twice to my son pre christmas as well.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And this is exactly why I cannot understand the logic of schools being re-opened. Happened twice to my son pre christmas as well.

People are still setting their houses on fire, so I still have to work, and old people keep pressing their panic alarms, so my missus still has to work.

• Paid Members

Got mum down for her vaccine today.

Ā 

Sadly my bro in laws mum didnā€™t make it. She caught covid in hospital after a fall. She was 74 but tripped and fell hospital kept her in a few nights.

They tested her and she had no symptoms so went home. 7 days still no symptoms then her breathing started to fail. Covid pneumonia diagnosed,Ā 4 days later she passed away.Ā 
Ā 

Fuck this virusĀ 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Just had my vaccine. I'm waiting to get sent home now in the little waiting area. Mrs Jazzy had hers on Wednesday and has been feeling pretty fluey since, possibly because she's got a pretty compromised immune system after having had pretty nasty cancer a few years back. She spent most of the last two days in bed, sleeping most of Thursday, and surfacing only for dinner and an episode of Elementary last night before heading back.Ā 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I've posted in here a couple of times about the local COVID conspiracyĀ gang of idiots in my town. Well last week one of them contracted COVID and died the next day.

The Guardian wrote a piece about him and how COVID conspiracies are causing majorĀ risk to peoples lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/23/gary-matthews-duped-by-lying-anti-vaxxers-his-death-is-at-their-door

(The Charlie Parker they talk about in the article is the unicycling leader that I've spoken about previously)

46 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I've posted in here a couple of times about the local COVID conspiracyĀ gang of idiots in my town. Well last week one of them contracted COVID and died the next day.

The Guardian wrote a piece about him and how COVID conspiracies are causing majorĀ risk to peoples lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/23/gary-matthews-duped-by-lying-anti-vaxxers-his-death-is-at-their-door

(The Charlie Parker they talk about in the article is the unicycling leader that I've spoken about previously)

The guy who died used to work in my office (before my time), people who worked with him said he was always a bit odd & didnā€™t like engaging with anyone

• Paid Members
On 1/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

People are still setting their houses on fire, so I still have to work, and old people keep pressing their panic alarms, so my missus still has to work.

My son is disabled, so he has to go to school. Youā€™ve misunderstood my comment. Of course key workers and vulnerable children should be at school. Iā€™m talking about full school re-openings which they may push for as early as February half term. They shouldnā€™t have gone back in September.

• Paid Members

Guernsey called an emergency press conference and went into full lockdown on Saturday.

They've been absolutely worlds apart from Jersey, let alone the rest of the UK - they closed their borders almost immediately, slowly reopened to allow for essential travel, and haveĀ veryĀ strict self-isolation requirements for inbound travel and for anyone testing positive. They have an actually functioning track & trace system, to the point of literally sending people round to your house to check that you're there, andĀ bigĀ fines for anyone breaching quarantine.

And until now, it had all worked. They got down to zero cases, and any cases that wereĀ identified were all from inbound travel and not spreading in the community. It's been surreal seeing photos from my friends there all hanging out in the pub on Christmas Eve with no social distancing, and seeing Facebook accounts I follow there hyping gigs and events. It's all seemed basically normal.

They went back into full lockdown with a few hours' notice because they discoveredĀ fourĀ cases. But those four weren't traceable to travel, and they're now up to 30+ cases identified after less than two days, which means it's spreading in the community, and they're reasonably sure they have one of the new variants on the island.

On one hand, it's scary that somewhere that had managed itĀ soĀ well still ends up being susceptible to this new variation. On the other, seeing all the coverage of their new lockdown, there's no complaints, and people are just following the rules immediately, because they've seen it work once before and trust in their government that it will work again. Imagine that!Ā 

• Paid Members

In contrast to the above, I'm finding the reports of Johnson making noises about relaxing lockdown in early February axiety-provoking. Especially when Hancock has gone out and said it's likely to be considerably extended.

I still find the last lockdown ridiculous - by the time we came out of lockdown, we were at the numbers we went in at. Which I don't get at all. How can the same numbers on one day be 'oh shit, lock everything down' and a bit later be 'it's grand lads, let's get out for pints!'?

At this point, I haven't seen my family in-person (they live in Ireland) since Christmas 2019. I'm not expecting to until Summer at the earliest - I live in London, and it's really difficult to justify going from a massively busy city to rural Ireland, especially with grandparents still alive and in their 80s, until it's definitely safe. I'm in favour of getting this done as quickly as possible, but we seem to keep going in favour of pretending it's done.

6 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Where have you heard this? Not that I doubt it just haven't seen anything myself.Ā 

Thereā€™s was an article in The Guardian doing the rounds yesterday -Ā https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/johnson-looking-at-potential-of-relaxing-some-covid-lockdown-measures-next-month

It was more of a ā€œweā€™ll review thingsā€ in mid-February, rather than setting a date for any sort of easing.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Where have you heard this? Not that I doubt it just haven't seen anything myself.Ā 

It was covered quite a lot yesterday. Since then, there's been talk that it was misinterpreted, and Johnson was speaking unclearly - that they would look at the info by mid-February about relaxing measures. Hopefully, that's actually the case, since it seemed like woeful inconsistency.Ā 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/25/boris-johnsons-lockdown-slip-up-contradicts-the-official-line