Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

And on the flip side of this argument, my gf’s a MFL teacher and her arrogant twat of a headteacher wrote to all parents a couple of weeks ago encouraging them to send their kids to school despite Government policy not to do so. The prick said that as HE considers all children vulnerable due the disruption in their education last year that HE thinks they should continue to attend. 

It was leaked to the papers and he made a swift U-turn but is still insisting that all staff attend for the full day, everyday. 
https://www.thestar.co.uk/education/sheffield-school-classing-all-pupils-vulnerable-reopen-announces-it-will-stay-closed-3085608

He also tried to get all staff to delete the track and trace app. Not every parent is a villain and not every teacher is a saint, people gonna people.

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

On the Ralphy and schools being used as babysitting services. It's happening at my kids school, I know of two kids where the dad is a key worker, the mother isn't, so they qualify. They're no longer a couple and live apart and mother doesn't work at all yet the kids are going to school because they can.

My sister is a primary school teacher and reports similar. Many schools an LEAs are actively looking at the criteria set and seeking to stop some children going to school where there are parents at home. The slack nature of this lockdown IS in places being taken advantage of by some.

Sounds a bit Daily Mail/whataboutary.

My daughters friend's laptop has broken. Can’t get it repaired, don’t have the money for a new one. She is joining remote learning via her mums IPhone. But is struggling because it’s not as easy to write and interact as a laptop would be. She doesn’t want to send her to school, but feels that not having the right equipment is hindering the process.

Shes lucky she has an IPhone. Hundreds of thousands of kids don’t have laptops, or mobile devices. Poor / no internet access. Maybe there parents can’t afford food or heating. So sending them to school is more important then keeping them at home. 

is anyone using it as babysitting? Possibly. But it’s a massive generalisation isn’t it, when we know there are real reasons kids need to be at school.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sounds a bit Daily Mail/whataboutary.

Yet it isn't, and discarding a potential problem in such a way isn't going to help solve it.

I know first hand, not from a shit rag paper, that people ARE taking advantage of schooling. It's not fair to the safety of teachers and other students. But then people are taking advantage all over the place as this lockdown is so fucking weak and pathetic.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Yet it isn't, and discarding a potential problem in such a way isn't going to help solve it.

I know first hand, not from a shit rag paper, that people ARE taking advantage of schooling. It's not fair to the safety of teachers and other students. But then people are taking advantage all over the place as this lockdown is so fucking weak and pathetic.

Did you stop at the first sentence? Whether some are or not, not everyone is and you’ve completely ignored WHY some kids will still be sent in even if a or both parents are at home

• Paid Members

@Hannibal Scorch I read on Twitter that there’s initiatives happening to try to help this kind of thing (think it was someone looking for equipment for it). Can’t remember the name but might be worth a search if they need help?

I have friends with kids who have really struggled with balancing home working and teaching. Last lockdown the kids couldn’t go in but this time they can so this lockdown has different guidance, I think. They took the decision this time because they couldn’t face the exhaustion of working part of a day while teaching the kids, teaching full on, then coming back and finishing their work day until 10pm. As someone desperate to get back to normal and suffering with my mental health, I wish they didn’t need to do it because it won’t help the overall picture, but I understand why they do need it. Oh and I’d also like my friend to stay around because that is a genuine concern too.

A massive chunk of this issue is the Government for allowing too much in this lockdown unfortunately. They continue to handle it all terribly and now a good chunk of people are against doing things too and doing what they want. Part of what I hate is how this is showing how selfish people are. 

Anyway, I can’t find a link but I read on Twitter (via the Guardian I believe) that guidance for schools changed on Friday. Kids allowed in was for all key workers but now it’s only those that can’t work from home. Sure there will be more to it, I only read it briefly and dreaded my friend seeing it, but that might cause a change in coming days.

edit - found it Schools Government U-turns on school guidance for children of key workers

Edited by choccygirl
Link added

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Did you stop at the first sentence? Whether some are or not, not everyone is and you’ve completely ignored WHY some kids will still be sent in even if a or both parents are at home

No I haven't. You're just making an assumption that because I have highlighted that some parents are taking advantage, and that my personal experiences so far have highlighted and given evidence they are that I believe ALL kids/parents are.

I don't.

And it was in defence of someone who got set up upon quite nastily for not having a fucking clue, whereas I have somewhat more of a clue and people ARE taking advantage, not all, but some and to quote Ralphy, for the sake of the health of teachers and the students your talking about "it's not on"

• Paid Members

I was doing shopping yesterday and haven't seen the supermarket so busy since before Covid. It was insane how few people seem to be taking this lockdown seriously. It's the ultimate law of diminishing returns every time. Some of it feels to me like some kind of odd "now that 2020 is over we can just start getting back to normal" mentality that some people have had, probably in no small part due to posts on social media about how they can't wait for the year to be over. Either way it's the kind of attitude that's going to go great with the herd immunity/eugenics crowd. In furlough news I'm having a laptop delivered from work tomorrow so I can support admin. It'll be nice to keep my busy during the day, but I don't know whether it'll allow me time for the nice afternoon walk I've been taking. I'll probably take the opportunity to get caught up with some of my Audible backlog. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I was doing shopping yesterday and haven't seen the supermarket so busy since before Covid.

I went to Tesco yesterday and it was just like a regular Saturday. No idea what that traffic light system's about, I assume it only goes red if there's more than five people at each checkout.

The bus and tram were quieter, but I think it's people with cars who have been the biggest problem through these last two lockdowns, as public transport has been mostly quiet (up here) anyway since last March.

To be fair to the government, the more people that die from this failed lockdown the less people they have to vaccinate and the sooner they hit their target. 

I'm not really suggesting that's what they're thinking. They're clearly not capable of thought. 

1 minute ago, Vamp said:

To be fair to the government, the more people that die from this failed lockdown the less people they have to vaccinate and the sooner they hit their target. 

I'm not really suggesting that's what they're thinking. They're clearly not capable of thought. 

And of course, the amount they’re saving from not having to pay pensions. 

• Paid Members

Whilst it may sound trivial compared to relatives dying or people undergoing genuine problems, I must say that its not having anything to look forward to that has affected me the most on a personal level (and in fairness I should probably count myself very lucky in that regard).

The repetiveness of working from home every day has had such an adverse affect on my productivity, I've grown to despise it and crave being in an office with people. Even the weekends feel pretty samey as, really, what can you do? 

Its certainly caused me to become more snappy and generally lethargic, and will freely acknowledge that sadly.

I found this an interesting read nonetheless: 

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/not-having-anything-to-look-forward-to-mental-health-101128733.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACJlalxgLQehMo44Wa8A2TvgZVy3EyVdALYF-C-hQTqlxAU8Eq1SkZI0aC5-g_XslfylnCBOSz-8Qp-fNgKNyc7gAykacJx81pkdRQjLSeckXDlwddsqqCg5x0uglXXuv3AGEDlCMhZAZni9tHfcBhB7VrtfxzbJvxkvu7ym5bzo

Edited by garynysmon