Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

It's the same Oop North. This isn't a lockdown. Apart from the local boozer and the Turkish Barbers, almost everything is open.

My mum works in a school, and attendance has fallen by about a quarter this past week. Must be an awful lot of key workers round our way.

It is a bit odd that the government opted to call this a "lockdown " probably pissing off a lot of their anti lockdown supporters, when it isn't really a lockdown. 

To be honest I think they just didn't know what number came after 4.

• Paid Members

Just found out 12yo is back at school from Monday which she's thrilled about and, more importantly, so am I because she's getting on my tits talking over The Vietnam War documentary.

In all seriousness though, her school have been brilliant during previous lockdowns and have gone out of their way to communicate all developments and protocols, plus they'll be testing her every week. Which I'm sure she will be delighted with and there are going to be several members of staff without fingers by the time the Covid hell is all over with.

But yeah, this is hardly like a lockdown. There are tons of people outside the local cafes waiting for takeaways, and the roads seem just as busy. Too many loopholes and at this point everyone just looks as though they're dragging themselves towards the safe haven of the vaccine and trying to live as normally as they're allowed to.

• Paid Members

I’ve been back at work since Monday the 4th as if nothing’s happening. At a car manufacturing place with about 150-200 or so other people. ‘Essential’ work indeed. Seems to be business as usual for most places here in Birmingham. Luckily my wife’s been able to work from home but I’m bricking it now that I’m going to come into contact with the virus at work and bring it home, because I can only stay so safe at work. Most people are being sensible but you’ll still get divs getting too close or walking around with masks under their nose or chin. I had to tell 3 different people this week to keep their distance because they insisted on practically standing on top of me while talking to me. Seems the company’s attitude is ‘well we’re all wearing masks and using hand sanitizer. Crack on’. They’ve already basically shot down any talk of furlough this time.

No doubt when the number of cases don’t go down (and probably increase) by the end of this current ‘lockdown’, they’ll blame the public for not following the rules. But when most of the country is still going to work because their employer has been given the green light to stay open, you go in or lose your job.

I am worried about this more than at any point previously now though. Not that it wasn’t always serious but I’m getting paranoid that I’m going to catch it and pass it on to my wife and kids. I haven’t seen my parents, brother, sisters, nephews and nieces in months other than FaceTime and my wife has been great and keeping herself and the kids as safe as possible. But it kind of feels like it’s defeating the purpose of doing all that when I’m in a factory 8 hours a day coming into contact with god knows what just for the sake of making cars that’ll probably just sit on the forecourt for the next 6 months-a year anyway. I’ve been coming home, jumping straight in the shower and keeping my work stuff clean and away from everything just in case. But it’s at the point where I’m second guessing giving my wife a kiss incase I’ve got the virus and give it to her. My daughter will come and give me a hug and I’ll be thinking ‘should I?’ I know it sounds fucking stupid but I don’t know who I’m working next to at work day to day or where they’ve been etc and it would kill me if I made them sick. 

Sorry for banging on just losing my marbles a bit here. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Yesterday, easyJet cancelled some flights I had to Portugal booked for May, so I’d be keen to know what they know for them to cancel flights so far in advance. Clearly things aren’t going to be “normal” come Spring.

They don't know anything. Nobody does because all of this is unprecedented and unpredictable. And no one thinks things are going to normal in Spring, only that things will be different than they are now.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

They don't know anything. Nobody does because all of this is unprecedented and unpredictable. And no one thinks things are going to normal in Spring, only that things will be different than they are now.

They most know something to prefer straight up cancelling flights four months in advance rather than holding onto my money.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

They most know something to prefer straight up cancelling flights four months in advance rather than holding onto my money.

Why must they? What could they possibly know? The government don't even know what Spring will be like so I don't see how EasyJet would. Flights are getting cancelled all over the place. 

• Paid Members

If anything I take it as 'companies who have money invested in the future are analysing available data and taking the actions that they believe will mitigate damage to their bottom line', but you seem to be phrasing it in a way that suggests easyjet have important information that we're not being told?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CoreyVandal said:

If anything I take it as 'companies who have money invested in the future are analysing available data and taking the actions that they believe will mitigate damage to their bottom line', but you seem to be phrasing it in a way that suggests easyjet have important information that we're not being told?

I’m just confused why a company in an industry notorious for finding any reason possible to not give refunds, has proactively cancelled and refunded flights so far in advance.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m just confused why a company in an industry notorious for finding any reason possible to not give refunds, has proactively cancelled and refunded flights so far in advance.

There's any number of reasons why a flight is cancelled. Most likely that because of COVID barely anyone has bought a ticket and the company think that keeping the flight is not going to be profitable. Not because the government are passing EasyJet secret info.