Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

I know he's a polarising figure, but seeing Tony Blair talk this morning just made me pang for grown up politicians who know what they're doing. If Johnson had any sense he would put together a taskforce made up of people like Blair to put together a plan for vaccine rollout by next week.

I'm still seeing people say 'BORIS IS DOING HIS BEST! LEAVE HIM ALONE ITS HARD' And you know what, he probably is doing his best. That's the point. He's utterly unfit for this position and he's presiding over the most inept Cabinet I can remember as everyone with any talent fucked off as soon as he rolled into Number 10.

Hope everyone is OK anyway. Keep reading books, watching stuff and listening to music when you can to get your mind working. Hopefully with the vaccines we have better days ahead

5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

like Blair to put together a plan for vaccine rollout by next week

Just tell Blair the virus is running rampant in Iraq, he'd be dropping the vaccine by the bomb load.

In more relevant news, this is just unbelievable. Homeless people being the absolute bottom priority again. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Vamp said:

So after CILIP advised that libraries should close for safety, we're having a meeting to discuss how we're going to keep them open safely. 

Going to be a quick meeting. "We can't." 

I feel like I know way too much about library policy wrt to covid thanks to your updates.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I know he's a polarising figure, but seeing Tony Blair talk this morning just made me pang for grown up politicians who know what they're doing.

Can't say I'm a fan of people trying to discredit every single thing he says just because of Iraq.

On Brexit and now this he's been one of the most consistently sensible speakers in the whole debate. Was never a particular fan of his, but yeah. 

We're living in particularly weird times where even George W Bush is considered an elder statesman and towering figure of politics compared to the current White House shitshow.

22 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Can't say I'm a fan of people trying to discredit every single thing he says just because of Iraq.

On Brexit and now this he's been one of the most consistently sensible speakers in the whole debate. Was never a particular fan of his, but yeah. 

We're living in particularly weird times where even George W Bush is considered an elder statesman and towering figure of politics compared to the current White House shitshow.

Probably for another thread, but you can recognise them for being good/competent at certain things, whilst still finding them reprehensible. 

Blair is an incredibly smart man and a fantastic orator, the latter a very good reason why so many people bought into him.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Probably for another thread, but you can recognise them for being good/competent at certain things, whilst still finding them reprehensible. 

Yeah I wasn't trying to defend him or anything. I have my own opinion on him which I wont get into now as its not the place, but it was more that someone with that level of clear thinking and intelligence is missing at the top of British politics at the moment.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

In more relevant news, this is just unbelievable. Homeless people being the absolute bottom priority again. 

I'm sure it's just the foreign homeless. As a lot of people voted for Brexit so we can spend money looking after our homeless veterans, obviously.

26 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm sure it's just the foreign homeless. As a lot of people voted for Brexit so we can spend money looking after our homeless veterans, obviously.

Its time that the homeless in this country were classified, and stay there, as part of the extremely vulnerable category, along with those at the top of the priority list.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be sleeping rough in this situation. It breaks my heart every day.

Its also mad given the number of empty Hotels that sit empty (hell so many other venues are empty at the moment)

We also have Nightingale hospitals that are just sat there not being used which can be being used to help.

Homelessness shouldn't be happening in the UK anyway in this day and age. Pisses me off no end.

Latest numbers:

New Cases - 62,322 (highest since mass testing began)

Deaths - 1,034 (highest single day deaths since April)

Reading that Twitter thread that @Onyx2 posted, it would’ve been unpopular no doubt about it, I’m sure the word “dictatorship” would’ve been thrown around quite liberally, but if it meant we got this Aussie numbers, I’m all for it. Look at those Death numbers, a little under 60 back in early September is as high as it went.

The Government and their handling of this, and the continuing shitshow , cannot be seen as anything other than a catastrophic failure. 
And they’ll probably still vote for them come election time.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On a positive note about the homeless during these times - a local four star, 70-room hotel by me took in 17 homeless people during the first lockdown back when the government were footing the bill. But when that ended, the owner continued to let them stay, out of his own pocket. He even continued to let them stay when they reopened to the public as well as giving two of the guys jobs in the kitchen after finding out one had been a chef for a while 20 years ago. Most of them left after the first lockdown ended as they had found alternative accommodation, but they still have nine people living there.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Its also mad given the number of empty Hotels that sit empty (hell so many other venues are empty at the moment)

We also have Nightingale hospitals that are just sat there not being used which can be being used to help.

Homelessness shouldn't be happening in the UK anyway in this day and age. Pisses me off no end.

It is shite that people are either on the streets or have no home to call their own. Alas just throwing people in hotels, hostels or whatever else doesnt solve the ' homelessness problem' nor does it make things ' go away'. People on the streets by and large have multiple complex needs, and in some cases will utterly reject 'homes' because they are away from their friends or lives and the rest have no idea how to live in a home, due to budgetary or mental health or a myriad of other factors including stuff like being taught to budget, claim benefits or even pay bills and do shopping. That's before getting to the dealing with anything else such as substance misuse l, Shelter and a few others have had this right by providing flats with a complex care centre on site and not requiring all kinds of conditions and curfews etc, but they are few and far between.

Doing a Homelessness Count more than one fucking day a year would also be amazing as we;d get to know how severe the problem was rather than trying to fight things after the event with no bastard resources. 

Helping in your own are can be as simple as knowing when SWEP protocols have been activated (Severe Weather) and knowing where people can go, can they take their animals with them if they have them, what's curfew etc. then pass that on if you see it when out, ditto with any food kitchens and so on, can be a massive help to newly homeless or even those who didnt know. 

Everyone IN hasnt been extended during this lockdown and those who are not street homeless now can find themselves fucked very quickly.

Some services will give free top up mobiles which can be a massive help ditto banks like HSBC who can do accounts for homeless with bugger all proof of ID,