Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

I guess we wait and see what's announced at 8pm. It'll be interesting to see whether they're still advising shielding, or they go the whole. Got and say vulnerable people have to shield. My work will be fucked if I have to shield now. Then again I guess that won't be my problem though. 

• Paid Members

1 minute ago, garynysmon said:

Madness to leave it this late

My sister has 7 children and with the exception of the oldest and the youngest the other 5  are all in some level of education across different primary schools, secondary schools and college. 

Trying to keep track of whose where when with everything dripping out and all the speculation must be a nightmare. And she can't confirm hours she can work, her job won't stop as it's in key retail, if she needs to stay off if the younger ones aren't in and the older ones are. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

A&E staff (should!) have proper PPE.  Teachers in the main haven't been supplied any PPE.  You can't put stitches in on a Zoom call.  You can teach phonics on a Zoom call.  There's also not the same assumed risk with being a teacher as there is working in somewhere that could become a major incident centre at any time.

I agree with most of what you're saying by this right here is key - distance learning is not effective for a lot of young kids.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Some people need to go to the supermarket that amount of times a week, maybe more.

I know that you have a valid need and I've talked before about the amount of busybody behaviour this pandemic has inspired but there are undoubtedly people who go to the supermarket more often than they really need to.

I get the frustration @kieranjennings but at best you can either have very simple rules that are easy enough for everyone to follow but are very one size fits all and counter intuitive in cases and inspire people to break them, or you have comprehensive and detailed rules that people find confusing and don't listen to. 

Unfortunately as it stands we have neither.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

12 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

My sister has 7 children and with the exception of the oldest and the youngest the other 5  are all in some level of education across different primary schools, secondary schools and college. 

Trying to keep track of whose where when with everything dripping out and all the speculation must be a nightmare. And she can't confirm hours she can work, her job won't stop as it's in key retail, if she needs to stay off if the younger ones aren't in and the older ones are. 

In a similar situation as my ex and I both work in retail. Luckily for me, I work nights meaning that when the girls are off from school, they can be here.

It's not ideal as I should be sleeping after work, and they're not getting as much one to one as they should, but then what about any of this is ideal? Luckily, the business has been quite understanding with both of us, and I'd say the majority of staff during this past year.

• Paid Members

I’d love to see my daughters Year R class do a phonics lesson over Zoom. We had a ten minute evening Zoom call with the teacher a few months ago about helping reading. For five of those minutes my daughter got under the table, slowly rose up in front of us from the bottom of the screen pretending to wear binoculars, slowly look around and then descend down out of view again. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I’d love to see my daughters Year R class do a phonics lesson over Zoom. We had a ten minute evening Zoom call with the teacher a few months ago about helping reading. For five of those minutes my daughter got under the table, slowly rose up in front of us from the bottom of the screen pretending to wear binoculars, slowly look around and then descend down out of view again. 

She's already got better material than Lee Hurst.

• Paid Members

Just got off a zoom meeting with my 7 year olds headteacher. He's told us she can still go to school even if they have to shut like last time. Massive weight of my shoulders as the March one really messed her up. She's going through early puberty and had to stop her hormone blockers for a huge chunk of the first lockdown, so was emotional as it was, but not having the routine of school has left a lasting impression on her mental health, and I've got a feeling she will be feeling it for years. At least now we don't have to worry about the same thing happening... 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

A&E staff (should!) have proper PPE.  Teachers in the main haven't been supplied any PPE.  You can't put stitches in on a Zoom call.  You can teach phonics on a Zoom call.  There's also not the same assumed risk with being a teacher as there is working in somewhere that could become a major incident centre at any time.

The challenge of zoom learning bit has already been addressed far better than I could, and whilst I can’t dispute anything you’ve said, does issuing schools with PPE not seem like the simplest and most common sense fix that government could surely make happen overnight - assuming they wanted to - you could probably have dealt with that by spending what they did subsidising cod and chips at Whetherspoons during the first 24 hours of their ingenius dine out scheme.

• Paid Members

Unless I'm misunderstood, the "guidance not law" issue just got reversed and from Wednesday these are rules enforced by law. Still an incredibly frustrating lockdown, but if it's law it should be better followed at least and the dickheads down the street won't be having any karaoke nights any time soon.

@Ralphy Re: Funerals

[quote]Weddings and civil ceremonies can still take place, but only in “exceptional circumstances” and only six people will be allowed to attend. Funerals can still have a maximum of 30 guests, but wakes and other ceremonial events will be restricted to six people.[/quote]

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-lockdown-rules-january-2021-b1782192.html