Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Totally - and it's human nature that people saw other people going to the beach or out shopping every 5 mins and then think it's okay to do the same. When actively being given half price dinners as well then more and more went out too in friendship groups.  We have a vaccine now and they just need to get it out as quickly as possible and focus on that but I feel that they will fudge this somehow too leading us into another cycle of nonsense  

9 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

But it should be if people stuck to the fucking rules!

Right, I understand that, and that it is an emotional time, and I'm not accusing you of being all "Send the kids to school", but as it stands it is unsafe for children and teachers at school. That's all I was saying.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

Right, I understand that, and that it is an emotional time, and I'm not accusing you of being all "Send the kids to school", but as it stands it is unsafe for children and teachers at school. That's all I was saying.

It's not safe to make 4 trips a week to the Supermarket, then B&M, then B&Q either but we seem to be okay with allowing that to go on which I find frustrating. Supermarkets were the highest spreaders at one point and yet the distancing, limiting of numbers etc. seems to have gone out of the windows. In some countries you were allowed to go once a week yet here it's in and out when you please. Just all frustrating, especially when I will see the impact directly on my little ones who have missed seeing their grandparents but understand that they have to keep them safe 

5 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

It's not safe to make 4 trips a week to the Supermarket, then B&M, then B&Q either but we seem to be okay with allowing that to go on which I find frustrating. Supermarkets were the highest spreaders at one point and yet the distancing, limiting of numbers etc. seems to have gone out of the windows. In some countries you were allowed to go once a week yet here it's in and out when you please. Just all frustrating, especially when I will see the impact directly on my little ones who have missed seeing their grandparents but understand that they have to keep them safe 

This is a very straw man argument though.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I got about half way through writing a response, but you know what, I think Kieran sums it up quite nicely here..

8 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

It's not safe to make 4 trips a week to the Supermarket.

I totally agree there is risk attached.  As there is for such banal activities such as getting a pint of milk and a loaf or indeed, serving people who have, taking me back to my original point that whilst i'm not for a second suggesting teachers 'suck it up and get on with it', I do think there are some comparisons to be drawn in terms of the way we view our health services, in that no one for a second is suggesting that A & E staff stay at home to keep themselves risk free - I think teaching, and children's education is of somewhere close to equal importance - and yes, I confess that's an incredibly biased view after seeing the impact of our paltry attempts to balance work with home schooling, and the subsequent impact that had on our children's mental health.

Edited by John Matrix

7 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

It's not safe to make 4 trips a week to the Supermarket, then B&M, then B&Q either but we seem to be okay with allowing that to go on which I find frustrating.

Don’t you need a mask to go in those places though? I have no kids but I assume they aren’t worn in schools and people are inside schools a lot longer than a supermarket. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is a very straw man argument though.

No sorry, that's not what straw man means. It's a very relevant and valid point if you're talking about what measures are and aren't necessary and how the rules have been set and enforced in general and agree we have and haven't followed the data in setting rules and guidance. 

But yes, it doesn't change where we are now.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Don’t you need a mask to go in those places though? I have no kids but I assume they aren’t worn in schools and people are inside schools a lot longer than a supermarket. 

You do need a mask, however that seems to give people the sense of some invincibility so they can get as close as they want or get as many people in an area as possible. Secondary school kids have to wear masks but not in lessons

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

As always mate, a very good point well made - I guess what I meant was, and you're right, healthcare services are being compromised, but correct me if i'm wrong, thats as a result of becoming overwhelmed and ill resourced, the effects of underfunding and poor planning, not because people are insisting that, or that medical staff are choosing to stay at home for their own safety (whilst i'm sure there are some, i'm not aware of this happening en-masse?) 

Fair - although I think schools will be in danger of that if they don't shut down. This way, when the lockdown is over, things can hopefully resume some normality.

I'm aware, by the way, that as you're self-employed, you've been double-fucked by this entire situation. I'm honestly not overlooking how hard this is for people, and I wish there were more solutions.

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

No sorry, that's not what straw man means. It's a very relevant and valid point if you're talking about what measures are and aren't necessary and how the rules have been set and enforced in general. But yes, it doesn't change where we are now.

Yes, but saying "Well its ok for people to do this so x shouldn't be done as well"?

I'm not suggesting that any of that is safe. Schools aren't safe, popping to get a coffee isnt essential. Going to B&Q isn't necessary. This country has NEVER had a proper lockdown. That's why we are where we are.

I'm not saying anyones opinion is wrong, I'm just simply stating what I think.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

It's not safe to make 4 trips a week to the Supermarket, then B&M, then B&Q either but we seem to be okay with allowing that to go on which I find frustrating. 

Some people need to go to the supermarket that amount of times a week, maybe more.

22 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

You do need a mask, however that seems to give people the sense of some invincibility so they can get as close as they want or get as many people in an area as possible. Secondary school kids have to wear masks but not in lessons

So there is a big difference between different numbers of people in masks that stop them spreading their germs going to a supermarket for half hour at the most, and a school day.