Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

silver lining is that for the first time something is actually happening that will get us out of this misery eventually.

Assuming they don't cock that up as well, or that the virus doesn't mutate again (you know, that thing that viruses are kind of famous for doing yet somehow nobody thought of that happening)

It's not the despair, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand

• Paid Members

Looks like I'll be getting the mandatory shielding letter again. Honestly not worried about myself though, it's the effect things will have on my kids that are tearing me up. My eldest, 17, has been looking for an electrical or plumbing apprenticeship but nobody is setting on(understandably), and this news will make it even harder. Then there is his health. When he left school last year he was way overweight, topping out at 18 stone at one point. Once the gyms opened again, he got into the weights and deadlifting and has dropped to 13 stone quickly and feels great. Now the gyms will be shut again, I'm afraid he will ballon again.

The youngest can still attend school, so should be ok. But it's her social skills I'm worried about. Rather than being around kids all her own age, she will be with a smattering of different years put together. It's a million times better than nothing though, so i suppose I should be thankful.

Just have to hope this is the shock that gets everyone "towing the line" now, and we might have some normality by the summer...

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, courageous said:

Assuming they don't cock that up as well, or that the virus doesn't mutate again (you know, that thing that viruses are kind of famous for doing yet somehow nobody thought of that happening)

It's not the despair, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand

Well I'm not quite ready to top myself just yet so I'm going to hold on to the realistic hope that the vaccines will help.

32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Well I'm not quite ready to top myself just yet so I'm going to hold on to the realistic hope that the vaccines will help.

As we all should. Hope is what keeps us going. And as full of shit as Boris is, he's right to at least try and give some hope to the nation. Granted he's not someone any one will actually believe but I do think we need something positive to hold onto.

So we (Primark staff) got confirmation of our store closing just after 9PM via text and email, my friends had just finished their shift (I had left at 6.30), despite officially closing tonight, everyone has to go in tomorrow to work till 4PM to get the store 'closed', in other words getting quarantined stock back out and put out fresh deliveries so the store looks fresh and restocked for when we re-open in 6-7 weeks time. No word yet on how the furlough will be structured, if indeed we will be, the first lockdown we were on 80% and we got the 80 plus the top up for full pay with the November one

• Paid Members

That's furlough again. I've been setting my furlough status on the work Slack as plays on the titles of Die Hard movies, last time around was "Furlough 2: Fur Lougher". Obviously I'm now on "Furlough With A Vengeance" . I daresay if I go by American titles "Live Free or Furlough" might be seen as a bit too political, so I may have to go with "Furlough 4.0", but we'll see if it comes to that with the vaccine. 

• Paid Members

Indeed.

By the looks of it I'll be starting this teaching role from home, though I'm absolutely still trying to check if my start date remains the same now. It feels very weird living alone in a new town with nobody in the house, Football Manager may have to take my day to day life up.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Indeed.

By the looks of it I'll be starting this teaching role from home, though I'm absolutely still trying to check if my start date remains the same now. It feels very weird living alone in a new town with nobody in the house, Football Manager may have to take my day to day life up.

I took the FM plunge yesterday as I got my first laptop in 10 years the other day. I'd forgotten how quickly 6 hours can pass! 

We were meant to be working from home until the Summer anyway, the government department I work for came out within 6 weeks of the first lockdown and said that and it bloody looks likely. Very strange to think about how much things have changed in a relatively short period of time. It's particularly weird when hiring new staff and you don't really get to "know" them. 

Anyway, I'm going to try and revive Sheffield Wednesday later today. No idea why.