Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It was more a comment on how we’ve gone round the horn and are seemingly right back where we started (even worse most would say) with seemingly no route out of it

Understood. Think most of Europe seems to be in the same boat, certainly the major countries.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Walking has been allowed since lockdown one.

Not sure about the funeral mate, best wait and see and try not to worry. 

Funerals have been allowed throughout, it's the number of people attending that has changed. In April at my Dad's we were allowed 9 people. In July for my Uncles it was 20.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, quote the raven said:

My sons SEN school is open but then they have to be open the same as they where in last lockdown. 

Same situation here, as you know. My daughter has a place open to her, which I will accept. During the last lockdown she was one of only about ten students in her whole school (normally houses between 50 to 60) and it was a skeleton staff so she was much safer there than badgering me to go on the tram to the Trafford Centre every day. She'd be heartbroken if I didn't send her in knowing she would get the whole sensory hall to herself again as well.

7 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i know, im just a worrier as its one of few things i do, that i enjoy, that keeps me on the straight and narrow. I know the last one in march i felt as though the entire world was watching me, but again, hopefully all will be ok 

i am feeling better at the moment, and probably the best i have for a fairly long time, so i am hoping to continue it and not go backwards 

Yeah I know what you mean. You’re catastrophising. You’re thinking of the worst case scenario and it gets locked in and you can’t shift it! It’s a right bastard!

• Paid Members

I absolutely understand the concerns of people in the teaching profession re the level of risk they are being exposed to and I sympathise entirely

But having seen first hand what 14 weeks out of school did to my 4 and 5 year olds at the time during the last and first 'proper' lockdown - during which we, their parents, took every step possible to minimise their risk only to eventually concede and return them to school and childcare placements when it became clear that the toll it was taking on their mental health was every bit as significant as the physical risks we'd been trying to protect them from - if there is any safe way for them to be at school, then I would champion that cause to the hilt.

They didn't suddenly turn in to dinner mashers, or start defecating on the rug, but their mood became very erratic, they were highly sensitive and unpredictable, leading to lots of outburst and conflict which their daily 30 minute walk around the block failed to alleviate.  As parents, trying to juggle home working with home learning, they inevitably suffered from a lack of one to one time, and increased screen use either to give us some respite, or to carry out otherwise paper based or physical assignments from home.

The less they had to do, or perceived they could do, the less they wanted to, to the point where my son, who's a bit of a hair twiddler when he's tired/bored, gave himself a fucking bald patch such was the amount of time he spent lethargically sprawled out on the sofa sans motivation.

I'm not at all comfortable with this new narrative that we need schools to be providing 'childcare' - the nature of what we expect of our child's school provision hasn't changed one bit - but neither has our dependence on children attending so that we can work to earn and provide a home, heat, food and clothing - we simply cannot do the latter, without the former which is why any sort of lockdown, other than the 'whole world on pause' type, freezing bills, rent, mortgages (which should then rightly be extended to business owners), will continue to expose people to risk for absolutely fuck all long term gain.

As it stands, at 4:30 today, my wife (who works in a school office) has just been informed that her school will only be opening to key worker children this week - imagine how many families/parents are expecting to return to work tomorrow and will now need to make alternative arrangements, meanwhile our childrens school is ploughing ahead and re-opening tomorrow, but has written to us just now to hedge its bets ahead of the PM's announcement this evening, all because the poor sods haven't got a fucking clue, nor mandate, to take any concrete action.

Whichever way you slice it, there is a group of people who will have to suffer as a result of this incompetence and i'm not suggesting for a second that Teachers should in any way, suck it up - but I think there is an argument to be made that they provide a service every bit as important as our healthcare professionals, that similarly, cannot just be turned off or comprimised - still, it's all absolute fucking madness when you consider the bat farmers of Wuhan are up and about living life to the fullest eh?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Same situation here, as you know. My daughter has a place open to her, which I will accept. During the last lockdown she was one of only about ten students in her whole school (normally houses between 50 to 60) and it was a skeleton staff so she was much safer there than badgering me to go on the tram to the Trafford Centre every day. She'd be heartbroken if I didn't send her in knowing she would get the whole sensory hall to herself again as well.

The school have messaged a while back due to staff having to stay home with their own kids they will be doing split days. Think the confusion of him not knowing if hes in or not will be a step to far 

1 minute ago, John Matrix said:

They didn't suddenly turn in to dinner mashers

Apologies for trivialising your post, but I can’t think of anything else but in Regals book when some wrestlers ended up in a gay bar and he exclaimed “They’re all bloody dinner mashers!”

1 minute ago, John Matrix said:

if there is any safe way for them to be at school, then I would champion that cause to the hilt.

That's the point though isn't it? It's not safe at all, for them or the teachers.

No one wants to be keeping their children out of school if it's safe to do so.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, quote the raven said:

The school have messaged a while back due to staff having to stay home with their own kids they will be doing split days. Think the confusion of him not knowing if hes in or not will be a step to far 

Yeah, they shouldn't be doing that. For any kid, not knowing whether they're in or not can be disruptive and upsetting but for kids like ours putting in place a concrete plan and timetable is utterly essential. We were told clearly before Christmas they were reopening on January 11th and I don't expect that to change.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Whichever way you slice it, there is a group of people who will have to suffer as a result of this incompetence and i'm not suggesting for a second that Teachers should in any way, suck it up - but I think there is an argument to be made that they provide a service every bit as important as our healthcare professionals, that similarly, cannot just be turned off or comprimised - still, it's all absolute fucking madness when you consider the bat farmers of Wuhan are up and about living life to the fullest eh?

While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, the point here about healthcare services can't be compromised - they shouldn't be, but they are. Massively. Royal London Hospital emailed their staff to say "We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the fact we are now in disaster medicine mode. We are no longer providing high standard critical care, because we cannot."

Part of the reason I think schools should be closed is to make sure they can continue to do this service well in the long-run.

• Paid Members
Just now, SuperBacon said:

That's the point though isn't it? It's not safe at all, for them or the teachers.

No one wants to be keeping their children out of school if it's safe to do so.

But it should be if people stuck to the fucking rules!

Or in the highly unlikely scenario that twats continually fail to do so, enforce them properly.  I'm telling you now, if I have to let Bill Gates slip a microchip up my japs-eye, while a sniper sit atop of next doors roof ready to pick me off if I so much as take the bins out, then i'd fucking trump for that option right now.  Anyone who isn't prepared to trade in their civil liberties for a couple of weeks in exchange for a return to business as usual needs a fucking good hiding, but for as long as it's all if buts and maybe's it's a moot point.

I genuinely believe, and I always welcome evidence to the contrary, that id we'd have gone HARD, early, this'd be ancient history by now - instead we had three months of 'please don't' during which time, funnily enough, the shit ran rife because it turns out people don't tend to follow unenforceable guidance.  

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Apologies for trivialising your post, but I can’t think of anything else but in Regals book when some wrestlers ended up in a gay bar and he exclaimed “They’re all bloody dinner mashers!”

In an unusually heavyweight and somewhat off-brand post, I figured i'd try and lighten the mood somewhat.

Agree about the enforcement of the guidance, but the problem is the rules were so flaky in the first place that the majority of people didn't actually break them (people on beaches in summer/people going to London to go shopping etc. there were no rules being broken). However, it's the people who get the blame - not the rubbish guidance which is wrong 

2 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

Agree about the enforcement of the guidance, but the problem is the rules were so flaky in the first place that the majority of people didn't actually break them (people on beaches in summer/people going to London to go shopping etc. there were no rules being broken). However, it's the people who get the blame - not the rubbish guidance which is wrong 

With respect, this sums up the whole shitshow. You don’t enforce guidance, you enforce rules. Guidance can’t be broken and that’s Johnson’s get out clause. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, the point here about healthcare services can't be compromised - they shouldn't be, but they are. Massively. Royal London Hospital emailed their staff to say "We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the fact we are now in disaster medicine mode. We are no longer providing high standard critical care, because we cannot."

Part of the reason I think schools should be closed is to make sure they can continue to do this service well in the long-run.

As always mate, a very good point well made - I guess what I meant was, and you're right, healthcare services are being compromised, but correct me if i'm wrong, thats as a result of becoming overwhelmed and ill resourced, the effects of underfunding and poor planning, not because people are insisting that, or that medical staff are choosing to stay at home for their own safety (whilst i'm sure there are some, i'm not aware of this happening en-masse?) 

Which was kind of my point -  yes, children's education will be disrupted and compromised in similar ways because of lack of access to their regular teacher, classroom bubbles, and a million other more pertinent factors, but in an ideal world, i'd still want them getting that level of day to day education, versus being stuck at home with me and thrust in front of their tablet for seven hours a day so I can get my boss that report she's asked for written.

As per my previous post, this all of course hinges on people following the fucking rules.  That keeps EVERYONE safe, not just teachers.