Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

You know a situation is fucked when the unions have gone further than saying "actually, we don't think this is a good idea."

I'm fucked off with it all now. Half the country (I'm being generous) never gave a fuck about the mental health crisis before. It never gave a fuck about unemployment before. It never gave a fuck about the gap between rich and poor before. None of these sulking fuckers complained when the mainstream media covered health scares (water gives you cancer) before. 

And yet when it's all over nothing will change. We'll talk about clapping for the NHS and not about undermining them. We'll talk about unity when the country was as divided as its ever been. 

And sooner or later Alexander Johnson will walk away and have a dandy old time. He won't think about the countless deaths he's responsible for. And neither will the rest of the country. 

This country fucked it. And it'll fuck the next pandemic even worse. 

Edited by Vamp

• Paid Members

I'm back in the office tomorrow (I'm unable to work from home). Pretty depressed about it. Previously going in I felt like as long as I played it as safe as possible I probably could avoid catching it, with the way things are progressing now I really feel it's a matter of "when" not "if".

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm back in the office tomorrow (I'm unable to work from home). Pretty depressed about it. Previously going in I felt like as long as I played it as safe as possible I probably could avoid catching it, with the way things are progressing now I really feel it's a matter of "when" not "if".

Hope it’s okay for you. I think I’ll get away with mostly working from home but unless work treat this more seriously than they did November’s, I may have to go in on Thursday. Doesn’t help that they’ve jacked the train prices right up without warning.

• Paid Members

My office itself is well kitted and prepared for things (plastic shielding, shift patterns, masks on when not at desks, no in person meetings, hand sanitizer provided) but getting the train from and through some of the busiest parts of South London is really what's worrying me.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

But we’re an island in the middle of the sea. We have natural defences built in. All we had to do was hunker down, close the borders (because we didn’t need to leave the EU to be able to do that), and wait it out. Did we? No. In and out of different “restrictions” that have proved inefficient, people flying in and out, the government constantly going against scientists’ advice and it’s predictably now out of control. 

The other thing is that we had the benefit of time. We were able to see the virus spread in China, Italy and Spain and what actions did and didn't work in those countries. Yet we just chucked that away by repeatedly refusing to take any decisive action until it was far too late to make a difference.

The most frustrating thing for me is that the Tories have continually tried to fight the virus the same way that they'd fight a general election, with lies and spin and a general focus on what "sounds good". As if the virus gives a shit that we fudged some figures to meet our "100k tests a day" target for example. They are doing it now with the vaccines too, by the looks of things.

I genuinely don't know if it's because they've got no respect for us, or because they simply don't how to do anything else. Maybe both.

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

While a lot of the public are stupid and would ignore the rules no matter what, it doesn't change the fact that even if you know going to your place of work will increase risk, if your work says go in because the government kept them open then you go in or you're sacked, unfortunately. It was a lose-lose situation for a lot of people.

This is very true. I've benefited from Furlough (sort of, I'm still down about half my pay from last year) and I'm really grateful for it. It's incredibly flawed though, and so many people have fallen through the very very large cracks in it. How are people supposed to justify staying at home if they are getting no support at all from the Government?

I know self-employed people who've had to close their businesses but don't qualify for anything from the Government. I'm not defending anybody who breaks the rules and stays open - especially the idiots who quote the Magna Carta - but it's hard to totally criticise them when they've got no other source of income.

A temporary Universal Basic Income would've solved a LOT of problems.

And yet my union (NASUWT) are saying the exact opposite and that their members should attend school where instructed to as we are otherwise liable to legal action for breach of contract. My wife is in zero rush to get her Covid test result as she is an EYFS teacher with zero social distancing or PPE available. 

If Starmer has called for a national lockdown similar to that in March, Johnson will say something tomorrow about how it absolutely can not happen. Then he'll have a genius idea on Wednesday morning an announce a national lockdown.

• Paid Members

The NEU is always the more militant of the two unions, but when you've also got the Headteachers associations threatening legal action, the NEU seem to be being sensible...

My school (secondary) took the decision yesterday morning that only Senior Leadership are in today for the children who are attending for whatever reason, whilst the rest of us are going to do virtual learning - we're then going to be on a rota from tomorrow. 

No idea what that means for next week, but I have to say that taking things a day at a time really does not work well in a school environment. 

• Paid Members

My sons SEN school is open but then they have to be open the same as they where in last lockdown. 

I doubt the wife will be able to work for at least a month so I don’t see any point in sending him. 

Im waiting on some facts about a outbreak at work before contacting my union to see what the deal is 

5 hours ago, Ralphy said:

This was posted on twitter yesterday, sums it up how i feel about this. 

That's nonsense though isn't it. My kids are primary age and missed so much from the March lockdown (both educational and social development). Their schooling is vitally important ad can't be replicated via online learning at that age. It's not about just looking for childcare 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

That's nonsense though isn't it. My kids are primary age and missed so much from the March lockdown (both educational and social development). Their schooling is vitally important ad can't be replicated via online learning at that age. It's not about just looking for childcare 

Any lost learning can be caught up with, though. The school system in the UK needs a change anyway. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Any lost learning can be caught up with, though. The school system in the UK needs a change anyway. 

The school system needing a change doesn't really have anything to do with this though, does it?

And I do think you're hugely underselling the impact on their development of kids having to stay at home, particularly as long as parents still have to work.

I don't disagree that it is probably not the government's primary concern but that doesn't mean it's entirely an invalid point.

Edited by Chest Rockwell