Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Maybe it's just me being my usual daft self, but upon reading these posts I can't t help but feel that covid is spreading and getting even worse. 

Hope everyone who has symptoms tests negative and those who have it and those with friends and family can make a quick recovery 

If schools do close, isn't it a bit short notice for those who need to arrange people to look after kids? 

The numbers are now 50k a day so it’s getting worse. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Not to send the shitters up you as I don’t know if it’s the same test, but the person who we suspect I caught it off did one of those quick tests and it came back as a negative, but then did a proper one and it came back positive as apparently the quick ones aren’t 100% accurate. 

The quick ones (lateral flow test) are really designed for asymptomatic people so they can get on with their work, if anyone has symptoms they need the full test as its way more accurate (LFT under ideal conditions is about 85% accurate, at home it drops to around 50%).

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The quick ones (lateral flow test) are really designed for asymptomatic people so they can get on with their work, if anyone has symptoms they need the full test as its way more accurate (LFT under ideal conditions is about 85% accurate, at home it drops to around 50%).

Yeah, the person in question works in care and to my knowledge has one or two LFT tests and a full test weekly, the LFT came back negative even with symptoms so they assumed they had a cold. By the time it spread to me and their family, the main test came back positive. A bit annoying really as we all went the full year without getting it (other than my wife) and then we see each other for Christmas and it's a disaster as about 4 of us have it now between two households.

• Paid Members

I’m getting fed up now. I just feel the UK must be the laughing stock of the developed world. Some countries are getting back to some form of normality and we’re still in essentially a nationwide lockdown, that isn’t working, and with no end in sight. I’m just absolutely fed up and want to be anywhere but here.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m getting fed up now. I just feel the UK must be the laughing stock of the developed world. Some countries are getting back to some form of normality and we’re still in essentially a nationwide lockdown, that isn’t working, and with no end in sight. I’m just absolutely fed up and want to be anywhere but here.

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. ‘Some’ countries have handled it better from the start. A lot of the East Asian countries are handling things better because they remember things like SARS, they always wear masks. Australia and New Zealand managed things before it got out of hand. 

Europe is absolutely fucked, and Russia, the US, Brazil are all worse than us. Yes our government has absolutely fucked it but I think the lack of understanding of the general public is what makes us a laughing stock. I mean how many people are still going to Dubai in tier 4 lockdowns? Premiership footballers throwing parties. People breaking into a church and hosting a NYE rave. 

• Paid Members

But we’re an island in the middle of the sea. We have natural defences built in. All we had to do was hunker down, close the borders (because we didn’t need to leave the EU to be able to do that), and wait it out. Did we? No. In and out of different “restrictions” that have proved inefficient, people flying in and out, the government constantly going against scientists’ advice and it’s predictably now out of control. 

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Don’t only quote part of the message. I explained my opinion in the next sentences.

No you didn't, you just gave three examples of rules being broken.

Why do you think there is a lack of understanding on the part of the general public?

• Paid Members

While a lot of the public are stupid and would ignore the rules no matter what, it doesn't change the fact that even if you know going to your place of work will increase risk, if your work says go in because the government kept them open then you go in or you're sacked, unfortunately. It was a lose-lose situation for a lot of people.