Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Not to defend BORIS but they were meeting to review the tiers yesterday, to review secondary school opening and now to review the Oxford vaccine. There is plenty going on before they can announce everything.

The 50k number is massive but takes into account slow data over Xmas. The key issues are the number hospitalised which is out of control. I can't see beyond another complete lockdown but I know people, including those in power, are desperate to avoid that.

Edited by tiger_rick

2 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Sounds like a full lockdown is on the cards now that Johnson is doing the briefing. 

Well it is Wednesday, it’s usually PMQs so it’s the only full day he works. I’m going for a 7 on the Alas Count. 

• Paid Members

If they announce another lockdown I may have to go back on furlough, and they'll really be stuck at work as there'll be nobody to lead any shifts. 

• Awards Moderator

Hmm. Is it cynical to think that’s not going to do much? I can very much imagine the majority of office staff at my work, for example, will ignore that and keep going in, having meetings in person and so on. With it comes the unspoken attitude that you’re in the wrong for not doing that. They treated November’s like nothing was different and I can only assume this one will be the same.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Having been in tier 4 for a bit now, its definitely not the same as the March/April lockdown. Without sounding like a nosey prick, there's a tram-stop outside our flat and there's way more people on trams than there were back then. I imagine because there's not nearly the same amount of people on furlough? I don't know the figures, but if you don't pay people to stay at home they probably won't.