Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Not to move on so swiftly from the homeless but this lockdown, like all the others won't work if restaurants and fast food shops can stay open to offer take away. Stay at home unless you want a sausage roll and then you can line up with countless others and spread the virus. It doesn't really need to be said again but this government are fucking shit. 

7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I feel like I know way too much about library policy wrt to covid thanks to your updates.

Sorry, I've been using this place to vent to stop me cracking up if I'm honest. As "white noise" as I've probably been it did help me calm down from a panic attack and stop trying to break my knuckles on the wall. Sorry if I've tried anyone's patience.

Thankfully (I'm actually being half sincere here), my boss actually defended recent decisions by openly lying about government policy. 

So its pretty clear its over. I've failed to protect my staff as I'd hoped. And I need to resign myself to the fact that there's no point worrying about it anymore and move on. Maybe moan about Jack Evans for a while.

7 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

For an educational show, that really scared the shit out of me at points.

Its really weird. I think its partly the cheapness of the dragon costume that makes it so scary. 

15 hours ago, patiirc said:

It is shite that people are either on the streets or have no home to call their own. Alas just throwing people in hotels, hostels or whatever else doesnt solve the ' homelessness problem' nor does it make things ' go away'

Sorry, I might have not been clear. I don't believe that for the long term as you are bang on correct with all your comments and ideas, I just meant in the specific case of now.

24 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Just been talking to a friend in South Australia, to date they have had 582 cases and 4 deaths. They locked down properly, closed borders and took it seriously. What a shit show this country is. 

I think it was yesterday we had more deaths that day than Australia have had since the beginning of the pandemic. 

23 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Just been talking to a friend in South Australia, to date they have had 582 cases and 4 deaths. They locked down properly, closed borders and took it seriously. What a shit show this country is. 

Yep. One of my friends who’s Australian said that the quarantine laws are really strict there. If you’re caught breaking the two week quarantine after arriving in the country at an airport, it’s a 16,000 dollar fine. They were doing that from around March. They’ve not messed about.

I have ex work colleagues who now live in New Zealand. Everything is normal there. Everywhere is open, no social distancing and it’s business as usual.

2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't get it, what's wrong with that; why's it a bad thing?

I think it's amazing we have such amazing public services. I was trying to get over the state that we've let ourselves get in.

It's really powerful how people can pull together and the amazing people volunteering to deliver these vaccines.

• Moderators

Israel treated it like a military operation to rollout the vaccine and used that scissoring infrastructure and process and have been mostly praised for its effectiveness (apart from the whole leaving Palestinians out thing).

It's not like the vaccine was available any sooner. Regardless of how poorly controlling the spread has been managed, administering the vaccine couldn't have started any earlier.

I've been watching the news on the BBC for the last hour. There was a medical professor on from Oxford University talking about the vaccine and he was incredibly confident to the point of scoffing at the presenter that things would be pretty much back to 'normal' by Easter. Does anyone actually think that might happen?  I really can't see it happening and I'm shocked at how confident he was.