Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Did he state which year he meant by Easter?

He was quite clear that he meant this Easter, in 4 months time.  Personally, I'm feeling increasingly like 2021 will just be a repeat of 2020.

13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m convinced that Leicester City winning the Premiership sent the world into some kind of parallel dimension. Everything went to shit after that

Surely that was already part of the parallel dimension. I mean, it was Leicester fucking City!

• Paid Members

There’s no way things are going to be back to “normal” by Easter. The UK has something like 65 million residents, and there’s no way each and every one is going to have had their two jabs by April. Even if they had, COVID isn’t going to disappear because people have had a couple of jabs. 

7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

There’s no way things are going to be back to “normal” by Easter. The UK has something like 65 million residents, and there’s no way each and every one is going to have had their two jabs by April. Even if they had, COVID isn’t going to disappear because people have had a couple of jabs. 

It’s not about making it disappear, it’s about making those who are vulnerable to it no longer being vulnerable to it. It isn’t fatal or damaging to the overwhelming population so they won’t need a vaccine. If by chance in the future  they are one of the tiny amount who get seriously ill, there’ll be a vaccine they can have. 

But then we still don’t have anything in place at airports and the tories will fuck it up. The issue isn’t the quantity of vaccines available, it’s the materials needed to administer them, such as vials. On the subject of vials, I think it was the landlord of Hancock’s local WhatsApp’d him asking for a contract and got a multi million pound one to supply the vials. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Well no but no one's expecting that. But if they can vaccinate the vast majority of people who are likely to end up in hospital by then and are confident that the NHS can handle the remaining number of people estimated to end up in hospital then it'll be considered a massive success and things will probably and rightly open back up pretty sharpish. 

Stopping the deaths would obviously be a wonderful achievement but that still leaves the impact of long Covid. We still don't really have any accurate numbers about how many people have it, how its impacting their lives, what percentage of people have it aren't in the "clinically vulnerable category" etc.

Plus Hancock has said that the vaccine might need to be administered every six months. Its one thing to believe that this country can get its act together once and vaccine millions of people and quite another to assume that we can keep it up, or that the government won't get bored and pull funding for it. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Stopping the deaths would obviously be a wonderful achievement but that still leaves the impact of long Covid. We still don't really have any accurate numbers about how many people have it, how its impacting their lives, what percentage of people have it aren't in the "clinically vulnerable category" etc.

Plus Hancock has said that the vaccine might need to be administered every six months. Its one thing to believe that this country can get its act together once and vaccine millions of people and quite another to assume that we can keep it up, or that the government won't get bored and pull funding for it. 

Not sure what your point is here. 

COVID isn't going anywhere anytime soon. However the priority is to vaccinate as many people as needed to get to a point where the NHS can cope long term with it. Once they get to that point they can comfortably drop restrictions so that a) the entire economy doesn't collapse and b) everyone doesn't lose their fucking minds from not being able to do anything, go anywhere or see anyone. This is the priority. Long COVID and everything else is completely secondary as it should be. As for whether vaccines need be re-administered or whatever there is no data around any of this either good or bad because both the diseases and the vaccines are new so no one knows how it'll go or can predict it. 

15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Wait, did I miss the news about how we are now able to predict who it's going to suffer serious illness from covid?

Pretty much. Essentially anyone without underlying conditions. The virus will pass through them without harm but, as I say, if they do get seriously ill, there will be a vaccine waiting for them. It’s why the have different levels of priority for who gets the vaccine first. Young healthy people are not on the priority list. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Pretty much. Essentially anyone without underlying conditions. The virus will pass through them without harm but, as I say, if they do get seriously ill, there will be a vaccine waiting for them. It’s why the have different levels of priority for who gets the vaccine first. Young healthy people are not on the priority list. 

I don’t think the vaccine cures you if you’re seriously ill

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t think the vaccine cures you if you’re seriously ill

It’ll be administered won’t it? And NHS resources won’t be as stretched as they are now because there will be a drop in cases requiring hospitalisation so survival chances are greatly improved. 

Of course, this is theoretical and it’s the tories running the show, so it can still be fucked up massively.