Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’ll be administered won’t it? And NHS resources won’t be as stretched as they are now because there will be a drop in cases requiring hospitalisation so survival chances are greatly improved. 

Of course, this is theoretical and it’s the tories running the show, so it can still be fucked up massively. 

No, my point/understanding is the vaccine gives you 90% immunity, stopping you getting sick. Doesn’t stop you being able to catch it. So if you’re sick, it’s too late. 

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

No, my point/understanding is the vaccine gives you 90% immunity, stopping you getting sick. Doesn’t stop you being able to catch it. So if you’re sick, it’s too late. 

It isn’t too late. Most people who go into hospital come out of hospital. And with resources available then recovery is greatly increased. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Pretty much. Essentially anyone without underlying conditions. The virus will pass through them without harm but, as I say, if they do get seriously ill, there will be a vaccine waiting for them. It’s why the have different levels of priority for who gets the vaccine first. Young healthy people are not on the priority list. 

No, I get the reason for the priority ordering. Those are the people that are most at risk of getting seriously ill, and / or less likely to be able to receive and withstand the kind of treatment that would be administered to a young healthy person.

But once we're through those top priority groups, we haven't identified what other factors cause some people to get seriously ill whilst others are seemingly completely asymptomatic even amongst the 'low risk' group.

But a vaccine needs to be administered to someone before they actually get the virus, so if we can't identify who those people are that require it more urgently at the lower priority levels then your statement that 'a vaccine will be waiting for them' doesn't make any sense at all. Treatment will be waiting for those people, and yes resources will be less stressed so they will get the best treatment possible, better than they'd get now and in the right conditions to put the medics at lower risk also. But a vaccine is going to do fuck all for them at that point if they're already ill.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It isn’t too late. Most people who go into hospital come out of hospital. And with resources available then recovery is greatly increased. 

“Most” and “greatly increased” that’s ok then. As long as we’re not taking too many risks. What of category 6 people, those with underlying conditions that won’t be vaccinated by Easter. Are we talking a chance with them too? What of people who don’t know they have an underlying condition?

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your posts but surely we’re at a point of knowing this isn’t something to take chances with? Most of the population need this vaccination regardless.

The being back to normal by Easter line is a lie.  They might be better in that more have had the vaccination, and that should reduce some deaths, but for most of us it won’t make much difference. I can’t see that it will help the economy much either. I see why the priority list is as it is course but those getting it earlier are often not the people who can contribute too much to the economy.  I’m resigned to late summer personally, maybe later with that “restrictions in winter” comments the other day. Telling. 

1 minute ago, choccygirl said:

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your posts but surely we’re at a point of knowing this isn’t something to take chances with? Most of the population need this vaccination regardless.

I think you have but that’s probably because I wasn’t clear. I’m not saying it’s ok that only some people are dying. I’m saying that once the vaccines have been rolled out, chances of survival for those unfortunate to suffer life threatening consequences will be increased because the hospitals won’t be full of people with Covid. Resources will be on hand in a way they currently aren’t. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Reckon it’s on the way for myself !!

The Mrs was at her sisters for Christmas who has since tested positive .

Both me and my wife have had banging headaches for the past two days .

Anything I can do to minimise it’s impact apart from self isolating .

Maybe take some Vitamin D? 

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

What's open? As far as I can see in London only supermarkets, food shops and chemists are open.

Mobile repair shops are open, but still able to sell stuff. Click and collect in shops. The Range, B&M, home bargains are all still open.