Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KingofSports said:

How much 'evidence' does it take to decide that wearing masks is (and always was) a good idea. Fucking idiots! This is now a government-lead shit-show.

It’s clear from the updates last week they told us not to bother with masks because there was not enough to go round. Utter bastards

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, KingofSports said:

How much 'evidence' does it take to decide that wearing masks is (and always was) a good idea. Fucking idiots! This is now a government-lead shit-show.

I think somebody should be reaching out to the government to explain this, sure.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s clear from the updates last week they told us not to bother with masks because there was not enough to go round. Utter bastards

To be fair, making sure that people didn't bulk-buy the things like they did with bog roll was probably the aim.

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought I’d try and see how they do the daily press briefing from across the pond. Holy shit did I pick a good night to try. It was fucking incredible! Cartman-esque!

Donald getting rattled yesterday was fascinating viewing- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52274969

His whole “fuck the constitution” schtick will do him well in November

On 4/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, Your Fight Site said:

Here's a furlough related thing - I was furloughed on 80% from last Monday, in my department there are two of us and there wasn't enough work to keep us both on so I'm furloughed and the other guy was still in. my understanding is the minimum term to be furloughed is three weeks. I've just found out the other guy in the department's mum died last night. I haven't had a call from work yet but can they call and ask me to go back in of he takes time off? As I say my understanding is it's three weeks minimum, I may be wrong, but there's also something about volunteering so I'm not sure if I might be asked to volunteer for a few days while staying furloughed on 80% and there be a brown envelope in my drawer at the end of it. I don't know if there's any legal eagles that could offer a take on the situation, I also don't really know if me typing this is doing anything apart from me just thinking out loud. I further don't know why Mr Danger is quoted at the top with no text.

• Paid Members
On 4/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, Egg Shen said:

Been looking around online but cant seem to find an answer to this. How many daily deaths have been happening daily in UK since the death rate of Covid-19 has really risen? I read on average 1,600 people die a day in the UK (pre-virus). During this time are those 1,600 dying as well as the Coronavirus deaths? or is the overall figure still closer to 1600?

Just seen this today. The blue area stretches from the highest to lowest figure for each week of the year recorded since 2010. Red is 2020. 

EVjqvflXkAMtmoE?format=jpg&name=small

It astounds me that even at a time of huge national crisis where the media has the chance to exert itself as a force for good in this country, the same spin and PR bollocks from the usual rags are in fully in force.

It astounded me that the Mail had a pop today, but it shouldn't astound me. It should be the norm

Edited by Factotum

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

It astounds me that even at a time of huge national crisis where the media has the chance to exert itself as a force for good in this country, the same spin and PR bollocks from the usual rags are in fully in force.

It astounded me that the Mail had a pop today, but it shouldn't astound me. It should be the norm

The media, even outlets you'd expect to do better, have done a piss poor job of scrutinizing the government throughout this crisis. They've brushed past situations and decisions that should have been scandals, and they've treated the soaring UK death toll in a very matter-of-fact way, while treating similar situations in Italy and Spain with a tone of shock. 

Channel 4 News, The Guardian, James O'Brien, The Independent and, unexpectedly, Piers Morgan have been pretty good for me. Outside of that, examples of the media holding the government to account are few and far between. It's very disappointing. I thought the BBC, for example, would come into its own throughout this, really showing the public why its news service is important. Sadly, it might actually have done the opposite. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought I’d try and see how they do the daily press briefing from across the pond. Holy shit did I pick a good night to try. It was fucking incredible! Cartman-esque!

Some news channels, including CNN, cut away from the live coverage of the briefing, calling the video propaganda. The guy has serious mental health issues