Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

57 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Trump also had an attack of the numbers yesterday claiming they’ve done “one million eight hundred and seventy thousand million tests”, or 1,870,000,000. But if you take Priti Patel’s 300,34,974,000 tests, then that leaves Scott Steiner with a 1,570,966,0260,000% chance of winning.

You see the numbers don’t lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice

Wonderful. FYI, I've nicked this and put it on Twitter. Sorry. 

@Hannibal Scorch I'm sorry to hear that.

7 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I thought the BBC, for example, would come into its own throughout this, really showing the public why its news service is important. Sadly, it might actually have done the opposite. 

First of all, under certain circumstances (like now) the BBC has certain public service obligations to transmit information from the government of the day; that can sit a little awkwardly next to its journalistic efforts.

Secondly, its news service is important because they fact check a great deal more than most other news organisations.  Once something is covered by the Beeb, you can be pretty confident it's not complete rubbish.  That's worth something especially in these times.

It's fine for journalists with no moral integrity like Piers Morgan to rail against whatever they feel like, and occasionally they will end up accidentally doing good journalism but the BBC is a different beast.

Currently, the BBC is being threatened with the end of its existence by a Tory party who feel it's too anti-government.  They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Paid Members

Thanks everybody for your kind words. Yeah it’s weird. I feel weird. I talked to my brother and one of my mates who has a similar relationship with their parents as well. I likened it to a bit like when I heard Boris Johnson was taken to ICU. I don’t like the guy, but wouldn’t wish that illness on anyone. Though I obviously like my Dad more then Johnson because he’s not a Tory.

I’ve told my brother to pass on my wishes if he can, obviously once he gets to ICU there is no contact. It’s such a weird position to be in because I’m hoping he pulls through, but he’s a type 2 diabetic and doesn’t look after himself as much as he should at the best of times. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Sorry to hear that Nick. Can't imagine that it's easy for you to go through regardless of your relationship with him. 

I mean we don’t know it’s Covid-19 but they suspect it enough to test and he’s the first person I actually know to possibly have it seriously enough to get hospitalised. I’ll keep you updated. I didn’t want to mention anything on social media because I don’t know who my mum has told but I know this place is full of goods eggs. Thanks all. 

• Paid Members

Shit Scorch that's real crap even if you're not close. Hope there's good news asap.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

First of all, under certain circumstances (like now) the BBC has certain public service obligations to transmit information from the government of the day; that can sit a little awkwardly next to its journalistic efforts.

Secondly, its news service is important because they fact check a great deal more than most other news organisations.  Once something is covered by the Beeb, you can be pretty confident it's not complete rubbish.  That's worth something especially in these times.

It's fine for journalists with no moral integrity like Piers Morgan to rail against whatever they feel like, and occasionally they will end up accidentally doing good journalism but the BBC is a different beast.

Currently, the BBC is being threatened with the end of its existence by a Tory party who feel it's too anti-government.  They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The public service obligations don’t prevent their journalists from scrutinising the information they’ve been given, and unfortunately I don’t think they’ve done a great job of that during this crisis.

I don’t subscribe to BBC bias, I don’t think their journalists are anything other than top notch and I do think BBC News, on the whole, is excellent.

I obviously don’t expect their reporters to go full Piers Morgan, of course not. But I do think they’re frequently failing to ask important questions of the government right now and I generally think their coverage of COVID-19 should be far better given the vast resources at their disposal. 

Ultimately I think the BBC has struggled to adapt to an era where politicians resort to brazen lies more frequently than they ever have. I accept the difficulty that must pose given their balance guidelines, but I think it frequently results in situations where unintentional legitimacy is given to people who are being wilfully deceptive.

Edited by RedRooster