The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

If the above is the type of content shown on Elevation as opposed to Dynamite, I may need to start giving that show a watch. That interview with The Acclaimed was a brilliant sit down and makes you warm to them more and want them to succeed. 

41 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Sonny is camp and flamboyant and over-the-top, and I think it's fantastic that he's allowed to be himself in wrestling, and that it's presented as a babyface role rather than a heel one, and as part of a tag team where Sonny's sexuality and character don't even come into it - it's actually one of the rarest things across all media to see genuine friendship, with no underlying issues, between straight and gay men represented.

This is a great point and one I wish AEW would make more of. Apart from the two skits they showed of the two hanging out on a night out (culminating in a fight in a petrol station and the awesome right hook-cock punch combo), I don't recall seeing them up to anything. Showing that a redneck caricature of a Real Man can still be friends with and fight alongside a Flaming Moltress should be a great hook, but after the initial teaming up, they seem to have had more filler singles matches than gimmick-cementing tags.

37 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

This is a great point and one I wish AEW would make more of. Apart from the two skits they showed of the two hanging out on a night out (culminating in a fight in a petrol station and the awesome right hook-cock punch combo), I don't recall seeing them up to anything. Showing that a redneck caricature of a Real Man can still be friends with and fight alongside a Flaming Moltress should be a great hook, but after the initial teaming up, they seem to have had more filler singles matches than gimmick-cementing tags.

I think that would depend on how they approach it. 
Sonny’s (nor anybody else’s) sexuality shouldn’t matter, but you only have to look at the backlash that something like The Last of Us: Part 2 got for perceived “forced gender politics”. Hell, look at some of the comments when Nyla Rose won the women’s title. Granted, those kind of comments are likely in the minority, but they can also help form the narrative to the wider audience.

AEW saying “these two are so different but they’re still friends, isn’t that great!” unfortunately runs the risk of drawing similar ire

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Sonny is neither gay nor a man, they are gender fluid and pan. Although they do go by pretty much every pronoun IIRC, so JR was technically right when he kept saying "she".

It's a fascinating case where it's impossible to tell whether JR was being surprisingly progressive or a weird old man. 

I don't think Sonny has explicitly said that he's pan (although it seems a pretty safe guess). He has said that he prefers not to use they/their, for future reference - prefers people to use he/his or she/her based on how they perceive him.

I kind of like that AEW hasn't made a big deal about gender/sexuality. Most viewers don't know Nyla is trans, although it's not hidden either. If I'd like to see them play up the redneck/queen thing, it's partly that it's a really fun idea that could be explored well. That said, it could be difficult in wrestling, as it's only really a thing for skits, not storylines. The car park skit was really fun, though, and I'd love to see more of that.

• Paid Members

That video package for Shida/Conti is really good. Is Dave Zahadi at AEW? 

Did I just invent a name or misspell it? I know who I'm thinking of. 

Dave Sahadi. Works for Impact, but maybe he's passed through the forbidden door while this is all taking place. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

To be honest it usually annoys me to high heaven when that section of AEW's fanbase seemingly wants to see every wrestler under the sun sign for the company. 

But fuck me, will someone please save Daniel Bryan? I know basically nothing about the modern WWE product, but I know that Daniel Bryan is one of the most passionate guys the business has seen over the past decade. So to hear that their much publicised and ongoing bullshit seems to have resulted in him losing his love for the business to that degree suggests he desperately needs a change and a fulfilling final run before he finally hangs up those boots.

He screams AEW for me.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/daniel-bryan-felt-odd-detachment-wrestlemania-37-thinks-it-might-be-sign-walk-away

Edited by garynysmon

6 hours ago, garynysmon said:

To be honest it usually annoys me to high heaven when that section of AEW's fanbase seemingly wants to see every wrestler under the sun sign for the company. 

But fuck me, will someone please save Daniel Bryan? I know basically nothing about the modern WWE product, but I know that Daniel Bryan is one of the most passionate guys the business has seen over the past decade. So to hear that their much publicised and ongoing bullshit seems to have resulted in him losing his love for the business to that degree suggests he desperately needs a change and a fulfilling final run before he finally hangs up those boots.

He screams AEW for me.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/daniel-bryan-felt-odd-detachment-wrestlemania-37-thinks-it-might-be-sign-walk-away

I know there's plenty to criticise about WWE, but what in that article says the way he's feeling is anything to do with 'much publicised and ongoing bullshit'? Or are we just making big assumptions because WWE are shit and evil?

• Paid Members

I get the impression that Daniel Bryan I wanting to spend more time at home with his family, seeing as Brie has recently given birth to their second child and he's been getting involved in more of the producer side of things. I think at present, he's one of the people who can't really stake a claim for being mis-used, he's just been shoehorned into the main event of Wrestlemania for seemingly no reason other than Edge looks a little old. 

The guys been working a flat out style for decades, he's probably knackered and ready to step back a little.

Also, hes a smart guy and with his contract coming up and a family at home, putting out interviews like this one, with only boost the offer WWE makes him to stick around. Personally, I can't see him leaving WWE any time soon.

Edited by Nick James

If he really wanted out I could see him going, doing all of the events on his bucket list (hair vs hair in mexico, Okada etc etc) and eventually coming back to WWE as a producer at a later date. I know Vince can sometimes be petty but I can't see him falling out with lovable Daniel Bryan, whose given so much for that company.

• Paid Members

If Bryan didn't care about wrestling Roman and Edge in the main event of Wrestlemania I doubt wrestling Scorpio Sky at Dailys Place excites him too much.

Ok show this week. The matches were all enjoyable, particularly Christian/Hobbs and Allin/Jungle Boy which were both excellent. But I think most the angles/promo stuff was pretty bad. Jericho in particular was terrible. The Pinnacle/Inner Circle feud feels more like Jericho and pals vs MJF and pals. Where did The Elite vanish? I'm very excited to see Miro turn up to get Kip Sabian next week. Also I'm desperate for QT Marshall to fuck off.

The next PPV isn't too far away. At this point I don't think I can predict what the card will be and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

• Paid Members

Moxley and Kingston are a great double act, just hilarious but menacing all the same. Moxley throwing the pipe at the window and Eddie getting pissed because he was still stood there made me chuckle. 

The Good Brothers are dragging those segments down. They didn't do anything particularly annoying this week, but its gotten to a point that their presence is annoying me now. 

Trent is brilliant, really like him and always thought he could be a lot better than he has been dealt. 

Not sure if its just something i haven't picked up on before, but the insider references seemed to be rife on this show, from JR saying the ring post 'no sold' the chop to MJF calling himself a mark and the word 'Promo' seemingly being used at every turn. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If Bryan didn't care about wrestling Roman and Edge in the main event of Wrestlemania I doubt wrestling Scorpio Sky at Dailys Place excites him too much.

It really depends what he wants out of wrestling. He's a guy who has seemed perfectly happy working with wrestlers like Drew Gulak, where basically he's just allowed to go out and wrestle, which is the side of things he seems to like, rather than being all that fussed about whether he's main eventing or not. To a lot of wrestlers, the draw of AEW isn't whether they get booked stronger or even get paid better, but whether they're given the creative freedom both in and out of the ring that WWE denies them, and the appeal of being able to work without a producer booking your match, a team of writers writing your promos, and generally everything being micro-managed to within an inch of its life.

I'm not expecting Daniel Bryan to show up in AEW or anywhere else; this isn't the first time he's talked openly about wanting to work elsewhere, or being burned out on WWE, after all - although this is arguably the first time while there's been a major promotion capable of paying him well enough and consistently to support his family. I can definitely see the appeal of only working one night a week with AEW over working the WWE schedule and all the pressures involved in that, and I can see the appeal for a Daniel Bryan of an entire company full of people he's either never wrestled against or hasn't worked against in ten years, and which will allow him to indulge his ambitions elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Ok show this week. The matches were all enjoyable, particularly Christian/Hobbs and Allin/Jungle Boy which were both excellent. But I think most the angles/promo stuff was pretty bad. Jericho in particular was terrible. The Pinnacle/Inner Circle feud feels more like Jericho and pals vs MJF and pals. Where did The Elite vanish? I'm very excited to see Miro turn up to get Kip Sabian next week. Also I'm desperate for QT Marshall to fuck off.

Babyface Jericho is almost certainly going to be the shits if he leans into his sense of humour. The early days of his podcast were impossible to tolerate thanks to "jokes" on the level of "My Jerkoff Friend" and whatever the fuck that song was.  

I hated this show. For me, it summed up how ridiculous AEW is right now. Every match or segment featured a faction or someone who is in a faction outside of the Women's Title bout and Miro's promo. Enough, already. Stop trying to cram everyone on to every card and either cut the dead weight, or loan some of your wrestlers out to the NWA and/or Impact to allow them to develop. 

I can accept QT Marshall - barely - as Ogogo's coach, but when you have so much talent on your roster, why is he getting the push that he's getting? Is there anyone out there outside of AEW who thinks this is a better use of TV time than the Penta/Cody feud they originally hinted at?

Pac, Fenix, The Dark Order, The Acclaimed, Nyla Rose, Paul Wight, Leyla Hirsch, Riho, SCU and Serena Deeb are among the talent who do not have direct feuds right now (you could add Jungle Boy to that list, even though he had a match this week) - they have all of these people waiting for something to do, while QT fucking Marshall is about to wrestle one of AEW's biggest name wrestlers? It's mind-blowing.