The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Didn’t Raw go as low as 1.5 million viewers late last year? Suddenly, taking a beating every Wednesday but still making a sizeable dint doesn’t seem like the worst use of NXT after all.

I wonder if Vince is having second thoughts about that Jericho podcast.

Edited by Supremo

They almost doubled their viewers from last week. That’s bananas. If this is the new normal then we’ve got some real competition now. TNT paying 45m for that vs what USA and Fox are paying seems like the deal of the century. Will be very interesting to see what happens when the contracts are up.

And what this looks like from a very basic standpoint is that the vast majority of the AEW audience had no desire to watch NXT but a massive percentage of the NXT audience wanted to watch AEW. Will be interesting to see if they keep watching.

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members

I’m praying that the one lesson they take from this week is that they did one of their biggest numbers ever on a show where they didn’t advertise a Sting interview. So stop doing it every single week!

53 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m praying that the one lesson they take from this week is that they did one of their biggest numbers ever on a show where they didn’t advertise a Sting interview. So stop doing it every single week!

And on that note, ditch Schiavone's "IT'S STIIIIIIING!" call while you're at it, AEW. It was charming at first, but it's become one of the most grating things that they do. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

And on that note, ditch Schiavone's "IT'S STIIIIIIING!" call while you're at it, AEW. It was charming at first, but it's become one of the most grating things that they do. 

It really isn't though, it was apart of his fabric in WCW and they're gonna do it here, because its just a simple reputation, it's a catchphrase and it really isn't that annoying. Sting isn't your time is it? You said you were a newer fan didn't you. If you take 'It's Stinnnng' away from Schiavone you might as well have Alex Marvez and his blank 'bad man being shown evidence blank stare' conduct the interviews. I do get its a personal gripe. But it's literally never going to go because its been their before a fair wedge of us were born. 

Sting being interupted isn't too bad now either, I quite like that it's now almost an inverted trope that actually HAS had a point in the last fortnight. During that Team Taz run I'd have skipped a few more weeks though lads. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

I was shocked to see people complaining about the length of that opener. If I hadn’t read reviews afterwards I wouldn’t have even noticed it went long. The time absolutely flew by! Lessons to be learned for Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly. You can go long if you have a balls-out, action-packed, super wild, fun match. Not so much when you pattern your match after some of the worst HBK vs. Triple H bouts, a super slow, boring drag where you keep...slowly...getting...more...weapons. Fenix is incredible.

I agree with what’s already been said about it being too soon to do Adam Page vs. Kenny Omega. I absolutely cannot blame them for wanting to pull the trigger though. In my head, Dark Order evening the odds against The Elite for Hangman to eventually beat Omega for the belt ends up being a modern day version of Mankind beating The Rock for the title. I’ll lose my mind when it happens.

Loved Ogogo. Great finish. I wonder if they could get Tyson involved somehow? How much would Tyson cost to take a bump and sell the body shot?

Overall another great show. I’m starting to think they should record every show ahead of time. Their pre-recorded shows are always superior, cut super tight and leaving little to no wasted time.

• Paid Members

If they were going to get a rating like that, they couldn't have asked for a much better show to have it happen on. It managed to be both an easy watch and feel big-time. After a little while of Darby Allin not clicking as much as he could do, he looked like a massive star at the end of the show.

The only reason I think Bucks/Death Triangle could have been shorter is that it was an opener, and it was a bit of a marathon of one. But it was really good. I love that the Bucks were wearing their ludicrously expensive trainers to wrestle in - it's a small touch, but truly dickish. Loved the promo with Kenny too. While I agree with most about the Good Brothers, I'm assuming Kenny will be walking around with the Impact title soon, so the visual of that alone should be cool and worth the partnership. At that point, have him swinging around the AAA title as well.  As a group, the Bucks and Omega are really fun.

I'm hoping the lesson isn't 'Tyson drew the rating', which Meltzer seems to think. Sooner he fucks off the better. That said, having him in an angle mid-show made the whole thing feel bigger time than if they'd put it in the main event. I'm assuming he'll be done and gone by the Blood and Guts match. We'll see.

There was something just so much fun about Private Party throwing themselves around to make Sting look good - guys who are around the same age as the Crow gimmick. The stuff with Lance Archer worked too.

I want a Jungle Boy vs Kenny Omega match. I'm not as bothered about Jungle Express vs The Elite, but I'll take it to get a Jungle Boy vs Omega match.

I kind of like that if you give Omega the Impact title to add to their we got all the gold club, that their chickens come home to roost, with the Impact, AAA and AEW Titles.

So Hangman, Mox/Kingston and The Death Triangle all have claims to wanting to fuck them up for various reasons. I'd love one of those angles at some point where they are all out chatting proper shit and just all of their problems turn up at different parts of the arena and fuck them all up a bit. Love those 'townsfolk smash the local arseholes' angle.

• Paid Members

I just wish that Impact had a more compelling champion than Rich Swann for that angle to really work. 

There's a bit of commentary from a WCW Rey Misterio Jr match by Mike Tenay that I really rate, where he says that Misterio is Cruiserweight Champion, but that he's also competing in Mexico and Japan, before rattling off how crazy Rey's schedule had been over the past week. He suggests that, at some point, that schedule will be what leads to him getting defeated as he'll be tired and broken down and someone will take advantage.

That's a great, logical way to protect a babyface in defeat, but I'd never really thought of the applications for a heel champion. I kind of like the idea of Omega finally losing because he's just stretching himself too thin, and ends up pissing off more and more people in the process. It's almost a shame that we're getting Blood & Guts between the Inner Circle and the Pinnacle, because a match like that pitting Omega and friends against everyone they've wronged could be great fun. Imagine if, in the space of a week, Omega had a big fuck-off brawl in Impact, then Blood & Guts the next day on Dynamite, then had a PPV match at the weekend against Hangman Page (or whoever) and part of the story is whether he can possibly keep going at that pace - then he feels even more of a dickhead when he ekes out a win.

I'm hoping we even get Don Callis in a match, either in Impact or AEW, either in the old-fashioned "JJ Dillon in War Games" sense, or a "winner gets five minutes with the manager" stipulation.