The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Ogogo makes he in-ring debut tonight, he hasn't had any matches on Dark or anything has he? They must have some confidence in him to put him on the main card right away, but I've also heard that he took to wrestling like a natural almost from the start of training so hoping for a great showing.

It's the same show that put Jade out there, lets QT Marshall wrestle most weeks and had Luther in the main event. It's not that surprising.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's the same show that put Jade out there, lets QT Marshall wrestle most weeks and had Luther in the main event. It's not that surprising.

Apparently he’s a natural but I reckon they’ll do a QT distraction and a swift knockout punch.

• Paid Members
On 4/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, DEF said:

I think the long term booking thing comes down to Covid to a degree. I suspect they often thought they could delay stuff until they could get people in the building but they drastically under estimated how long it might take.

I think its definately why the AEW/Impact stuff is dragging so much.

Kenny Omega appearing on Impact tv, for example, would come across as something so much more unusual and impressive if there were fans in attendance.

As it is, its just a bloke walking out to Kenny Omega’s music in an empty studio.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Are The Young Bucks and Death Triangle still fighting? A 30 minute match to open the show was too long for me, my interest had waned after 15 mins.

Jade Cargill is actually pretty good considering this was her 4th match ever, however for someone with her look, she shouldn't be selling as much as she was for Red Velvet who is half her size. Jade is surely only going to get better. That moonsault looked painful when Red Velvet seemed to hit her face as Jade was rolling away.

I remember watching Ogogo on that rubbish ITV show, Splash years ago and the man looks like he hasnt aged a day. 

Tyson in his pink shorts and white loafers looked brilliant. A fun brawl after the match and Tyson didn't yawn this time from what I could see. 

The Good Brothers are absolute goofs, aren't they? Acting like fannies all the way through that skit, Karl Anderson's 'Best promo in the business' line was cringey as hell and was proven wrong later in the night when Taz got on the mic. This would work much much better without those two and the deal with impact should be quietly ended. 

Am I right in thinking Amber Nova is Chasyn Rance's girlfriend? Statlander is great and is a really good addition to Best Friends. 

Darby Allin is just money. From the music, to the attitude and underdog spirit, he's just brilliant. What a find. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

That was a pretty perfect episode of wrestling. Everything worked. Everything was great. Matt Hardy had probably his best singles match in a decade and Darby Allin is just fantastic. 

After last week's shitty episode I am buzzing after finishing that one.

• Paid Members

I actually loved that Ogogo match, he looked like a killer and a dickhead. Anyone else would have booked a big flashy knock-out punch to the head, but no, just smack him so hard in his guts he can't continue, what a prick move. 

4 hours ago, Nick James said:

Jade Cargill is actually pretty good considering this was her 4th match ever, however for someone with her look, she shouldn't be selling as much as she was for Red Velvet who is half her size. 

I don't think the size difference is that pronounced, and it's not like Red Velvet has been presented as a jobber as of late. I think they handled the match well, and Jade looked impressive once again. I'm really interested in how they handle her. Having her lose any time soon seems like a bad idea, but if they keep having her win, she'll shoot up the rankings and it would look odd for her not to be demanding a title shot. 

And if that champion is Britt Baker, you'd have a heel vs heel match. Although the more I think about it, the more intriguing the idea of Britt vs. Jade seems.

For the time being, perhaps they're better off to transition Jade into a feud with someone who can help her continue to improve, someone like Thunder Rosa or Serena.

4 hours ago, Nick James said:

Statlander is great and is a really good addition to Best Friends

Statlander would be another great opponent for Jade, but I really want them to move away from the "booping" gimmick, and the alien stuff in general, it's really shit and has been poorly established. I don't really understand why she "boops" people in the first place. Is it a taunt? Is it supposed to be an alien way of communicating? What the fuck is it??

AEW has done a good job at establishing the Women's division, to the point I'm more interested in that at the moment than I am most of the men's feuds - I'm going to put it out there - I think they should main event the next PPV with Shida vs. Baker. Britt is the hottest character in the company right now, and if she's going to win the title, going out on top in the main event would help lift her star power even further. Plus I've no doubt that Shida and Britt could have a very strong match. 

It all depends on who Kenny faces, I suppose. They're clearly putting the wheels in motion for Page/Omega, but given the pace at which AEW works, it's far from a given that Omega/Page will happen at the next PPV. 

One final thing - that Miro promo was brilliant. Telling Kip that he "just wanted to talk" was fantastically menacing, I absolutely loved it. The way Miro has turned it around really merits a mention, he now feels incredibly sinister and dangerous. He's definitely in the position to cast off the shadow of the Rusev character and become a main event player for AEW. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I'm almost certain it's going to be Miro who finally dethrones Allin for the TNT title. You need to kill Darby to take that belt from him and who feels more dangerous than Miro? Miro will fucking murder him.

Page vs Omega with no proper crowds makes me sad. Also feels too soon for Omega to drop the belt. The next PPV is less than 2 months away. And it doesn't feel like Mox and Kingston are done with The Elite yet. Throw in teased feuds with Christian and Lance Archer I think there's plenty of good stuff to go with before Hangmans big win in front of a roaring crowd.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don't think the size difference is that pronounced, and it's not like Red Velvet has been presented as a jobber as of late. I think they handled the match well, and Jade looked impressive once again. I'm really interested in how they handle her. Having her lose any time soon seems like a bad idea, but if they keep having her win, she'll shoot up the rankings and it would look odd for her not to be demanding a title shot. 

And if that champion is Britt Baker, you'd have a heel vs heel match. Although the more I think about it, the more intriguing the idea of Britt vs. Jade seems.

For the time being, perhaps they're better off to transition Jade into a feud with someone who can help her continue to improve, someone like Thunder Rosa or Serena.

Don't get me wrong, i really like Red Velvet, she's a really good plucky babyface and is quite good in the ring, Jade has so much upside its scary. I think putting her against Serena Deeb is a tremendous shout in getting Jade some ring experience while going against a babyface who wont necessarily lose too much by losing to Jade (NWA Title would be an issue). 

Britt taking the title from Jade wouldn't be terrible as people do want to like Britt, and i think she could tow that line of going against a heel as a pseudo babyface while remaining heel. Id happily take Jade squashing Shida to run an AEW Champ vs NWA Champ feud. 

14 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Britt taking the title from Jade wouldn't be terrible as people do want to like Britt, and i think she could tow that line of going against a heel as a pseudo babyface while remaining heel. Id happily take Jade squashing Shida to run an AEW Champ vs NWA Champ feud. 

Jade's undefeated run is going to have to end at some point, so the best way to do it might be to have her get really cocky, and end up being bested by Britt. Or perhaps a long term feud with someone might be the answer; something to distract her for a bit. 

I would love to see AEW do something a little different and present Britt Baker as the top title holder for a while rather than Kenny; and have her main event back-to-back PPVs. I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect either. The match where Britt wins the belt is main event worthy, and if they were to pivot to a Thunder Rosa rematch after that, I'd argue that this is one of the most exciting matches the company can offer right now.

18 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Good Brothers are total dead weight now. 

"Dangly" 

Fuck off. 

Agreed. They completely ruined that segment.