The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Presumably this week's episode was taped as it felt a lot slicker than last week's. 

The way JR just said "Dynamite Kid" when Excalibur asked him who Pac reminded him of was filled with contempt. I'd love if they got Tenay in instead. He's so underrated. 

That spot with the wheelbarrow stuff into the blue thunder bomb was impressive. I wonder whether it'll be Mask Vs Hair on PPV with the Lucha Brothers Vs the Bucks. 

Babyface Inner Circle is good. 

I hope Red Velvet tidied up after herself if she's come straight outta my mama's kitchen. Jade Cargill is in ridiculous shape, and carries herself like a million dollars. There are some great people on that roster who can take her to another level, but imagine if Mickie James winds up there as well. That'd be quite the learning tree to find herself under. Nothing but upside as others have said. 

QT Marshall's little stable is called The Factory? How generic and phoned in is that? 

Miro's video was great. Its a matter of time before he's meeting Darby for the TNT title. 

Dax Harwood reminds me so much of Arn Anderson. That match with Jericho was a good one. Tyson got Wheeler good with that punch. 

Gallows & Anderson dicking around during Callis & Omega's promo was distracting and annoying. I guess that's what they're there to do though. 

Kris Statlander fits with the Best Friends. I like her new look as well. 

Christian Cage & Ricky Starks could be a good match. I'm sure him and Hobbs will be a decent match as well, what with Cage being the workhorse he claims to be. 

I wonder whether Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky will be the team to beat and retire Daniels and Kazarian.

Darby Allin is a real star. I winder whether he'll end up havung a match with Sting at some point for some kind of "pass the torch" moment. He's definitely got a bright future. 

This week's show flew by. It felt like it was only just getting started when it was main event time. 

Outside of the Moxley/Kingston feud last year as well as when Omega when the AEW Championship in December - the TNT Championship easily feels like the more focused upon,  interesting and just all round more entertaining title scene. 

Cody’s work with the Cena style open challenges. Brodie Lee ultimately giving us what many will consider the biggest night of his career with the title win and Darby just being Darby has created this really important title in less than 12 months.

Related to the above, I just wanted to comment on how Darby has really become the key player for AEW and is incredibly more watchable than the whole presentation of Kenny Omega at the moment. I’m an Omega fan but other than when he’s wresting, he’s not doing a lot for me now at all. 

Anyway, you know when all of them WWE mid-carders bang on about how they want the IC title to be that workhorse belt and the belt they knew when they were growing up. The TNT championship has actually become that. This probably isn’t a unique opinion but there we go. 

11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

We've got Darby Allin vs Jungle Boy for the TNT title next week, that should be a banger of a match.

I’m not sure they’ll do it, but I’d be completely OK with Jungle Boy winning the title. These two are the future of AEW, and an upset win from Jungle Boy could set up a career long rivalry that could end up being incredibly exciting, and would almost certainly produce bangers of matches.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Definitely up for that, but I'm so up for Miro destroying Darby for it, I'd be disappointed with anyone else beating him.

30 second demolition. Darby is a big enough star to easily rehabilitate, but that sort of surprise squash could make Miro in AEW (as per, some smart arse will now presumably tell me this is an awful idea without offering a better alternative)

• Paid Members
On 4/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, Supremo said:

That they’d then direct him to repeat a fucking catchphrase every week, a trope straight out of WWE, is crazy. They’ve got a real gem with Tony. As both an announcer and an interviewer he’s got more credibility than pretty much anyone else currently employed in those roles throughout the industry combined. I wish he was my dad. It breaks my heart that they think Michael Cole’s lifeless, forced-at-gunpoint “it’s boss time!” is something to aspire to, rather than avoid at all costs.

Do we know the direction has come from above and wasn't Tony's idea?

13 hours ago, mim731 said:

30 second demolition. Darby is a big enough star to easily rehabilitate, but that sort of surprise squash could make Miro in AEW (as per, some smart arse will now presumably tell me this is an awful idea without offering a better alternative)

It would be almost identical to how Brodie Lee destroyed Cody, which is why I’d be against it. 

I’d favour a one-sided match where Miro carries out sadistic move after sadistic move, getting increasingly violent, with Darby showing crazy resilience and kicking out each time. I’d like to see the referee stop the match, or Tony Khan call it, concerned for Darby’s well-being.

Even after all of this, I’d want a battered and bloodied Darby to walk to the back (barely) anyway, aided by Sting if need be. It would avoid a Cody-like stretcher spot, but also make Darby look unkillable and give Miro a reason to get even more terrifyingly angry than he already is. 

From there you could have Miro plough through his opponents quickly, but emphasise strongly that the one person he couldn’t end was Darby. If handled correctly, you could have both men looking really strong, and really build anticipation for a rematch down the road.

Edited by RedRooster
Fixed a weird autocorrect

A ref or Tony Khan stoppage makes Miro look like a monster and gives Darby something to be pissed off about and an angle for a rematch as he's somebody that never quits. I'd love to see Miro pick him up after the match and fake a show of respect before having him continue to kick the ever living shit out of Darby.

Sting throws in towel for Darby, Miro then faces Sting in something cinematic where darby returns and saves sting. Then darby beats Miro who then moves onto a heavyweight title challenge 

• Paid Members

Sting throws in the towel, Darby goes after Sting for it as he still thought he could win, then sets his sights on Miro.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, mim731 said:

Awful idea. And I'm not offering a better alternative!