The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

This is a show that on paper probably looked good but everything felt off all night except Britt Bakers promo. Everything else was bang average or rubbish. Matt Jackson's fake tan was an abomination. 

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

This is a show that on paper probably looked good but everything felt off all night except Britt Bakers promo. Everything else was bang average or rubbish. Matt Jackson's fake tan was an abomination. 

I totally agree. I can't even put my finger on specifically why certain elements of the show didn't work, they just didn't. There was a sense of incoherency about everything. Even The Inner Circle promo felt a little off - Jericho's juvenile jokes (eg. "my jerkoff friend"), how long it was, some of the fumbles...it didn't quite work. The QT Marshall video was fine, but I still object massively to his push. No matter what he does here, if he's being pushed as an in ring performer, what's next for him after this is all said and done? QT Marshall vs. Darby? QT vs. Page? QT vs. Moxley? QT vs. Jericho? 

It's certainly appropriate that he's associated with the word "nightmare", because whatever the opposite of a dream match is, it's any of these combinations. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

In a show of booking decisions that weren’t quite right, putting Max Caster in a position where he has to lose clean even with help is just daft. He should be protected at all costs. He’s the most exciting character in wrestling at the minute - the arena crackles with excitement when he talks, he’s sat astride current affairs and popular culture in a way no other wrestler is currently.

Can't tell if this is serious or not? He's Honky Tonk Man 2021 at best. His hat/mat/cat rhymes are so bad.

Anthony Ogogo was the highlight of the show for me, very promising promo. Isn't his eyesight knackered though? Is he going to Stan Hansen it and just leather people? 

22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Can't tell if this is serious or not? He's Honky Tonk Man 2021 at best. His hat/mat/cat rhymes are so bad.

I'm with @d-d-d-dAz on this one, to a degree at least. I'm not sure whether or not I see Max Caster as a top singles star going forward, but I certainly view The Acclaimed as a potential main event tag team. They're brilliant. 

24 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Anthony Ogogo was the highlight of the show for me, very promising promo.

Totally with you on this, Ogogo was brilliant. I'm looking forward to finding out what he's like in ring. 

40 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Anthony Ogogo was the highlight of the show for me, very promising promo. Isn't his eyesight knackered though? Is he going to Stan Hansen it and just leather people? 

100% serious.

His raps are electric. They reference things that actual people care about and talk about on a daily basis. He seems rooted in the real world. In an era where wrestling has never felt more distant, more other-worldly, where’s its either completely targeted at a niche sub-section of internet weirdos or it’s a trippy love letter to a 75 year old mad bastard from Connecticut, it is utterly thrilling to hear someone interact with actual popular culture.

Biden falling down the stairs? Lil Nas X releasing satanist trainers? This is shit that’s actually happening and going viral. If wrestling is ever going to be relevant again it’s going to be through people who actually engage with the real world and get real people.

I’m not saying he’s going to be a world champion necessarily, but he doesn’t need to be in that position to lose (even with help) on TV. The Acclaimed are a potentially fantastic act, with him as the lead (either singles or tag).

Whether the rapping is good or not is irrelevant, they actually have something normal people might latch on to.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm with @d-d-d-dAz on this one, to a degree at least. I'm not sure whether or not I see Max Caster as a top singles star going forward, but I certainly view The Acclaimed as a potential main event tag team. They're brilliant. 

Totally with you on this, Ogogo was brilliant. I'm looking forward to finding out what he's like in ring. 

I think the opposite. I feel Anthony Bowens adds nothing to the team. Extremely generic.

• Paid Members

Dont want to go all "it's 1984!!!!" on anyone, but why are they having a Blood and Guts/War Games blowoff, when the babyfaces got their revenge last week? Like proper left the heels laying, in hospital, blood pissing from their heads and the leader embarrassed with his head down the bog. When the babyfaces are having a War Games end boss type match after the babyfaces put a bigger beat down on the heels already, it seems a bit pointless, no?

Just now, AshC said:

I'm out.

I don’t know what that means?

That trainer story was a big deal last week and people were talking about it. I don’t know who Lil Nas X is particularly, but he released a satanist pair of Nike’s, lots of celebrities threatened to boycott Nike and Nike had to clarify they weren’t involved and sued the production house that made them. It was a huge, huge story.

Us not caring or knowing about it is irrelevant too, by virtue of being on this website we can probably be safely categorised as part of the sub-section of internet weirdos I mentioned earlier.

Max Caster’s act talks about stuff that people who don’t debate wrestling shows online, debate online about.

I don’t watch AEW every week (mainly just the PPVs and some of the special Dynamite episodes), but Caster is an absolute standout every time I do catch it. He just gets the perfect mix of humour, edginess and topicality in his intros. 

4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That trainer story was a big deal last week and people were talking about it. I don’t know who Lil Nas X is particularly, but he released a satanist pair of Nike’s, lots of celebrities threatened to boycott Nike and Nike had to clarify they weren’t involved and sued the production house that made them. It was a huge, huge story.

Us not caring or knowing about it is irrelevant too, by virtue of being on this website we can probably be safely categorised as part of the sub-section of internet weirdos I mentioned earlier.

Max Caster’s act talks about stuff that people who don’t debate wrestling shows online, debate online about.

Sure and I completely understand your point. But 90% of pop culture today remains dire. And that's not even me being old and weird, haha!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, AshC said:

Sure and I completely understand your point. But 90% of pop culture today remains dire. And that's not even me being old and weird, haha!

That's exactly you being old. It's the same way when I put on The Chronic my dad asked what was this shit I was listening to. It aint for us.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm glad you're enthused by it, because it's nice to hear someone excited about wrestling, but to me it's just a badly delivered checklist of stuff that's happened. Didn't play into anything in the match or a story, it's corny as fuck. I am aware of those things, I understood the references (fellow kids), I didn't think they were any good. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That's exactly you being old. It's the same way when I put on The Chronic my dad asked what was this shit I was listening to. It aint for us.

It's at least one stage of rap before The Chronic. 

The Acclaimed give off New Age Outlaws vibes and I mean that really positively. They will not be the best team, but the charisma is off the charts. I don't mind Bowens not bringing much as Caster isn't much stuff in the ring much either, but it really clicks. Caster is funny as fuck. It's something in the delivery, cocky taunts said like a sarcastic prick, coming from a pussy heel. Good act, they'll add something else soon that really helps them but I don't know what it is yet. Keep them away from the bigger stables too.

It was a weird show wasn't it. I liked everything but pretty much just that. 

*The Jurassic Express/Bear Country match was brilliant for how close it nearly fell off the rails. Kept expecting someone to accidentally kill Jungle Boy or themselves on some of those spots.

*The QT stuff is fine, Player/Manager is a good fit for him. Like a prick high school coach.

*They're throwing that Hangman on top of the rankings line around a lot, so something is a foot there.

*Best Friends/Death Triangle getting started after a year delay, I'll have that thanks.

*ARE THE YOUNG BUCKS HEELS NOW???? Even doing that I'd probably question it. I love AEW and they're long drawn out stuff tbh, but the Bucks are massively incapable of it. I can watch they're matches till sundown but what are they. I sometimes think the Bucks are like that Mitchell and Webb Nazi sketch. If they've turned heel, thank christ. They'll be good at that. Nick Jackson always reminds me of Bill Hicks 'card trick to a dog' line and Matt Jackson with his hilarious 'I'm upset look at my heavy breathing' acting is REALLY cack. Mainly because he seems to try and he's better being this natural rather arrogant shit.

Before the pandemic there was a brilliant brawl where Hangman came in to save the day and then went up to Matt Jackson and just flipped him the bird and fucked off out the ring. It was really satisfying, so the Bucks as actual heels, not doing some weird cold war spy turn to lull in Kenny, then I'm on board.

Edited by Chili