The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

On this morning's Observer Radio Meltzer was far more critical of AEW than usual, specifically noting that they shoot too many angles with little to no follow up.

Coincidentally, after shooting an angle that went nowhere last year, Mike Tyson is now booked for this week's show.

Big Dave says jump and Tony Khan asks how high.

• Paid Members

He's definitely right. What I can gather from various Tony Khan interviews is that he equates long term booking with good booking. Like if a feud lasts six months he thinks that's a sign of good booking. Which isn't necessarily wrong but sometimes it's a better idea to take the best parts of those six months and condense it down to 3 months of great shit. Imagine how much better the Team Taz vs Sting feud would have been if it was 50% shorter! And I think his long term booking style can often lead to things getting dropped, forgotten or going nowhere. 

As for Mike Tyson, I reckon they should have him and Paul Wight mix it up.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

He's definitely right. What I can gather from various Tony Khan interviews is that he equates long term booking with good booking. Like if a feud lasts six months he thinks that's a sign of good booking. Which isn't necessarily wrong but sometimes it's a better idea to take the best parts of those six months and condense it down to 3 months of great shit. Imagine how much better the Team Taz vs Sting feud would have been if it was 50% shorter! And I think his long term booking style can often lead to things getting dropped, forgotten or going nowhere. 

I imagine his storyboard for the Taz and Sting stuff had a decent beginning and end and then he just filled the middle bits with "Sting comes out. Tony Schiavone gets excited" and just kept moving it week on week.

• Paid Members

Almost definitely. And the thing is that AEW are really good at blowing off feuds too, so they get a great response at the end, everyone forgets how dragged out it was to get to the end and Tony pats himself on the back about what a great story he booked when he could have done it weeks earlier.

• Paid Members

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1229752-tony-khan-on-mike-tyson-shaq-aew

I may not always agree with what Khan does and sometimes his pandering is a little too much, but there is no denying that he's just a well off wrestling fan having the time of his life. 

I can imagine him being like a giddy child with Mike Tyson, texting him all the time with Mike one word answering and him telling his mates 'im good friends with Mike Tyson!'. 

I genuinely my hope it all works out for him, because he seems like a really nice guy. 

• Paid Members

Double post..apologies.

What the hell was the Sammy Guevara thing about with the cue cards? It didn't help that the crowd couldn't see what was going on till half way through so it played out to crickets. Not sure whether it was my feed, but it wasn't a great look that you had Jericho telling the crowd they were in a commercial break and he will give them a cue to chant 'Inner Circle' when the cameras are back on them.

Sting needs to go away for a while now and Jake needs to just be taken off TV, he serves no purpose other than stumbling over his words and saying shite joke to make himself laugh.

Edited by Nick James

11 minutes ago, Nick James said:

What the hell was the Sammy Guevara thing about with the cue cards?

I think they thought they were doing picture in picture. I doubt Jericho would have asked the crowd if they could see the cards or asked them to cheer after the break if he thought they were on camera.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, cobra_gordo said:

I think they thought they were doing picture in picture. I doubt Jericho would have asked the crowd if they could see the cards or asked them to cheer after the break if he thought they were on camera.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. Good use of the picture in picture if it worked and it may have just been my stream.

• Paid Members

On paper the card looked stacked but the show was constantly dragged down by poor in-ring and backstage segments. Some real pacing issues, especially compared to last week's nearly perfect show.

I bet The Young Bucks and Kenny think they've told some really deep amazing story but you could call this heel turn weeks ago and it made Jon Moxley look like an absolute moron. Even though it was obviously coming, they still managed to drag it out so long and The Bucks' acting is so bad that the entire thing fell flat as a fart. Really weak ending to a bang average show. Should have had The Bucks bit early with Mox chasing them out the building, and had the Inner Circle/Tyson stuff last.

Edited by FelatioLips

8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I bet The Young Bucks and Kenny think they've told some really deep amazing story but you could call this heel turn weeks ago and it made Jon Moxley look like an absolute moron. Even though it was obviously coming, they still managed to drag it out so long and The Bucks' acting is so bad that the entire thing fell flat as a fart. Really weak ending to a bang average show. Should have had The Bucks bit early with Mox chasing them out the building, and had the Inner Circle/Tyson stuff last.

Completely agree. It could and should have been done earlier and it would've been far better. As said earlier in the topic, lengthy feuds/storylines don't always equal quality ones and I think the guys just need to learn that dragging things out unnecessarily is just as bad as pulling the trigger too early and not having patience. There's a happy middle ground there somewhere and it's just about finding that sweet spot.

This weeks show was like Nick Comoroto’s paint throw. Could have been great, just missed the mark.

In a show of booking decisions that weren’t quite right, putting Max Caster in a position where he has to lose clean even with help is just daft. He should be protected at all costs. He’s the most exciting character in wrestling at the minute - the arena crackles with excitement when he talks, he’s sat astride current affairs and popular culture in a way no other wrestler is currently.

Also, never say he’s 31 again. You don’t need to age him.

• Paid Members

"I am not sure if that was a tear running down Nick's face" No Excalibur, it was most definitely spray tan, Good, not great show.

I liked the opener, Jerricho's promo was going brilliantly until he said Wardlow had a 13 cent body and million dollar brain. The Godzilla v Kong match was real patchy. Some blatant botches at times which was a real shame as it felt like it could have been much better.

Tay and Bunny were fine. Hope Tay gets a title shot soon. Main event was as to be expected really. Good use of Tyson as well. But it just didn't flow as well as other weeks. Still the best weekly wrestling show though. 

@Nick JamesSammy used to do the Cue Cards for picture in picture ad breaks and it seemed to be pretty popular, but they havent done it in ages. When they did it, they wouldn't have the ring mic'ed up so yeah, that was a technical snafoo last night. God bless Fite.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch