The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

As much as I hate waking up at 2am with a sinus headache, I can't be mad when it happens on a Wednesday night so I can be up to date with AEW and NXT really quickly.

ESPECIALLY when Dynamite was as fucking awesome as it was this week. Again - when they get it right, damn they get it really right. It's probably why the shit parts every so often hurt that much more. They do set the bar pretty high most of the time.

I see a lot of excitement about Christian after last night. "We told you!" etc etc. I guess my main problem is that I never doubted he could have good/great matches. That was never my main issue really. I need more time to see the AEW Christian character develop and where he fits in before getting overly excited about him, but as a return to the ring and showcase of what he can do.. yeah, you couldn't really ask for more. I just want a bit more going forward other than he's a great worker or whatever. Hopefully they can tap into something with a solid storyline for him.

QT Marshall. Part of me wants to be stubborn and continue my 'he needs to fuck off' attitude I've had since day 1 but that would be unfair on the efforts they put in last night. The stuff with him and the students after the match was by far the most interesting he's been in AEW. I even felt bad for Cody, and I've been critical of his ups and downs in character too. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a convert overnight - BOTH men need some solid follow up work on the angle now, which is probably more likely on QT's side until Cody fucks it up.. but hey it's a good few steps in the right direction for sure.

Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky together is not something I can see myself ever getting excited about.

Words can't do the Inner Circle/Pinnacle segment justice so I'll just say I am fully back on board with the Inner Circle and it's well worth checking out.

Same with Arcade Anarchy actually. I've definitely not been on board with the feud all the way but it brought us to such a fun and entertaining place in the end. I think that's sometimes what AEW needs to work on - they can do some utterly fantastic end matches but along the way the feuds aren't always making me want to actually see whatever's coming in the end. Obviously I still watch it anyway but I'd like the anticipation level ramped up sometimes throughout a feud.

The rest of the show in between was all pretty solid too but definitely some highlights there that are worth going out of your way to see.

• Paid Members

I'd forgotten about Ethan Page! Tough times when you haven't even been in the company a full month and you're already in a we've-got-fuck-all-for-you Tag Team, wrestling on Velocity.

Let's get to the important topic though. Imagine the pop Sue is going to one day get when they're back to full arenas. Fucking hell I can't wait.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

ESPECIALLY when Dynamite was as fucking awesome as it was this week. Again - when they get it right, damn they get it really right. It's probably why the shit parts every so often hurt that much more. They do set the bar pretty high most of the time.

When it comes to matches, I agree with you - but I strongly suspect that they look at the reaction to moments like this and effectively view it as validation for their piss-poor storytelling. The most memorable matches AEW has run this year have come on the back of utterly unmemorable feuds - Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker was tremendous - but I couldn't tell you what happened in their feud, 

Shaq/Cargill vs. Cody/Velvet was also great, but the feud was horrendous, and the same goes for Arcade Anarchy - imagine how fucking satisfying it would feel if these matches were the culmination of compelling storylines. 

From a storyline perspective, the company has really missed the mark in 2021 in my view. Even what has arguably been their best storyline, Jericho/MJF, doesn't feel like it's quite hit the heights that it had the potential to. 

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

QT Marshall. Part of me wants to be stubborn and continue my 'he needs to fuck off' attitude I've had since day 1 but that would be unfair on the efforts they put in last night. The stuff with him and the students after the match was by far the most interesting he's been in AEW. I even felt bad for Cody, and I've been critical of his ups and downs in character too. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a convert overnight - BOTH men need some solid follow up work on the angle now, which is probably more likely on QT's side until Cody fucks it up.. but hey it's a good few steps in the right direction for sure.

I'm still of the view that he needs to fuck off, especially when so many wrestlers with actual upside are sitting on the sidelines. I can't believe they pivoted away from an incredibly intriguing Penta/Cody combo in order to do this. If he wasn't Cody's friend, there's no way someone at this level of bland would be getting TV time. 

I'll give QT this, though. I like him a hell of a lot more than I do Lee Johnson's nickname, "Big Shotty". I know it has some level of meaning to Johnson, but it annoys me to an irrational degree. 

• Paid Members

When your name gets called because your chippy tea is ready 

DF079F8B-A8F9-4E77-8BEB-350C5CC887FC.gif

Great episode. Sue was the comeback in 2021 I didn’t know I needed. Only thing I’m bored of right now is the Bucks. Just pick a side and stick to it. Doesn’t help that I think the Good Brothers are awful though I suppose. 

The Pinnacle/Inner Circle segment was superb though. More please!  

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I really liked the opener and Arcade Anarchy was insanely fun but I really disliked everything between it. The booking has got really muddled and a bit piss poor recently. There's loads of stuff going on but not much of it makes a huge amount of sense. Hopefully they start tightening shit up.

But anyway, the main event was really silly and enjoyable and I love Kris Statlander so I'm glad she's back. Excalibur quoting Garth Marenghi was not something I expected from a wrestling show ever. Miro was absolutely brilliant in the match, the big loveable psychotic meathead.

18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I really liked the opener and Arcade Anarchy was insanely fun but I really disliked everything between it. The booking has got really muddled and a bit piss poor recently. There's loads of stuff going on but not much of it makes a huge amount of sense. Hopefully they start tightening shit up.

But anyway, the main event was really silly and enjoyable and I love Kris Statlander so I'm glad she's back. Excalibur quoting Garth Marenghi was not something I expected from a wrestling show ever. Miro was absolutely brilliant in the match, the big loveable psychotic meathead.

No love for the Inner Circle stuff? I mean I know it was a bit daft but I still thought it was fun.

Told you as shit and bland as QT Marshall, he'd have his 'ahhh lads' moment and that was it. The slow turn, seeing his boys that could be corrupted over the other 'class nerds' who gravitated towards Cody, Dustin etc. Great piledriver I think he'll be fine as player/manager getting more for Nick Comorato, Aaron Solow & Anthony Ogogo. Only complaint you could make is it's QT. But that's just contrarion for the sake of it. 

Pretty brilliant episode of TV that, anything that didn't work was either short or mad enough it worked. Main Event was just an absolute blast from everyone involved. Best Friends as an act I love, all of them are great. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

I'd be happy with seeing Christian just have great little 15 minute 2006 Smackdown house show style matches with everyone on the roster every week. Don't even care if they bother giving him any proper storylines.

• Paid Members

Fair play they’ve added intrigue to QT with his stable, he needs to really lean into the ‘sleazy trainer’ aspect of it though, and basically dress like Roland Alexander.

Enjoyed the Darkplace reference from Excalibur, he needs to work Won Ton into his commentary next.

5 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

Enjoyed the Darkplace reference from Excalibur, he needs to work Won Ton into his commentary next.

Paul Heyman 2020 NEW PNG by AmbriegnsAsylum16 on DeviantArt

"I didn't have time for a shower, I just had to make do with a quick rinse around the key areas"

Edited by Chili

32 minutes ago, Chili said:

Told you as shit and bland as QT Marshall, he'd have his 'ahhh lads' moment and that was it. The slow turn, seeing his boys that could be corrupted over the other 'class nerds' who gravitated towards Cody, Dustin etc. Great piledriver I think he'll be fine as player/manager getting more for Nick Comorato, Aaron Solow & Anthony Ogogo. Only complaint you could make is it's QT. But that's just contrarion for the sake of it. 

I think that's the opposite of contrarian, in no way is criticising QT going against the grain. 

I think it's a perfectly legitimate thing to criticise. You're talking about a wrestler who is so unremarkable that if he was the only person standing in a police line-up, the victim would end up selecting the wall as the culprit instead. 

His prominence would be fine if it was on Dark, or if the roster was depleted, but it isn't. The whole thing reeks of nepotism. The time being invested in this redundant fuck could be spent on the women's division, helping Thunder Rosa and Britt build on their break-out moment a few weeks ago (or what should have been a break-out moment, at least). 

It could be spent building up Penta, with his smarmy translator - he demonstrated an absolute load of charisma in his singles match with Cody. And now it seems he was simply used as a way of giving Cody a win. 

Think about how excited people were about Jungle Boy after his match with FTR? The time could be used to build his momentum. 

Just a few examples from the top of my head, with the women's division being the most pressing matter for me. Imagine, for example, if you took that angle, made a few tweaks and built it around Britt Baker instead, giving her a stable, as she lays the groundwork for a run at Shida? 

I hate the fact they're doing this. 

Edited by RedRooster

I love you views on a lot of the topics in AEW but the QT is proper 'when will they get to the fireworks factory'.

QT turning heel elevates Lee Johnson, Aaron Solow, Nick Comorato, Anthony Ogogo (who they can really do something with given him), it gives Cody lighter work because he has a kid and his shoulder needs a rest. It gives Dustin Rhodes another shot at some good matches given his Dark Order 7 seven side story got shitcanned. Dustin and Nick Comorato smashing into each other should be great. Also Marshall Law is a nifty little name too. If he's player/manager and the other three get the spotlight, I'm cool with that. 

It also finally fucking explains the Nighmare Family (which we were all like 'what are you?') a bit more. Not a trio, stable or gang, it's a training dojo. I really don't think it's nepotism or some form as the angle to me looks like it's going to elevate nearly half a dozen new acts that can go off in various matches. Hating QT isn't contrarian, I think your opinion of him is, but it's a disagreement on a wrestling forum. 

Women's division is grand at the moment for AEW and what they have too. Britt Baker in a gang. Nope, always want her as the solo act with the flunky. I also think the character of Britt Baker is incapable of a stable due to being in the show, a really toxic personality. Love that she's gone, Yeah you won, didn't count though. That'll piss off Thunder Rosa, and good, shes the biz.

Hangman ranked No#1 by the way. That wasn't addressed was it?

Edited by Chili