The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have no issue with this and I tell you why. Are we going to watch it? Probably not. But it’s great cross promotion for AEW and it will get people who don’t watch to see the product in a reality TV setting and maybe bring a different audience to the product. 

Is that actually true though? Is there evidence of Total Divas, Total Bellas or Miz and Mrs causing any noticeable increase in related demographics for WWE from a ratings point of view? 

You can watch The Voice without having any desire to buy music by the winner (like most viewers of that show do) or RuPaul's Drag Race without any desire to watch a drag show. Dynamite is unlikely to add anything to the viewing experience of a Rhodes to the Top viewer. 

Plus, they'll have enough on their viewing schedules when Rhodes to the Top: Dark and Rhodes to the Top: Dark Elevation launch.  

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Is that actually true though? Is there evidence of Total Divas, Total Bellas or Miz and Mrs causing any noticeable increase in related demographics for WWE from a ratings point of view? 

You can watch The Voice without having any desire to buy music by the winner (like most viewers of that show do) or RuPaul's Drag Race without any desire to watch a drag show. Dynamite is unlikely to add anything to the viewing experience of a Rhodes to the Top viewer. 

Plus, they'll have enough on their viewing schedules when Rhodes to the Top: Dark and Rhodes to the Top: Dark Elevation launch.  

I know Total Bellas/Divas is on over here and there's a couple of people I know that have told me they enjoy watching it but think WWE is shite.

47 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have no issue with this and I tell you why. Are we going to watch it? Probably not. But it’s great cross promotion for AEW and it will get people who don’t watch to see the product in a reality TV setting and maybe bring a different audience to the product. 

Sure we're not going to watch it but it'll 100% bleed over into Dynamite.

It'll obviously have it's own audience and it's good for them to diversify but fuck me it looks terrible for my tastes.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

That trailer looked... okay? I'm not into reality shows, but it looks no more offensive than the Miz or Bella stuff. As long as it's not over the show any more than those are on WWE, I find some of the responses weird. It makes perfect sense for AEW to do something like this with TNT, and I can't see many others on the roster it could work with. The only couple it could have worked better with would have been Moxley and Renee, but she's not under contract.

Would Mox be up for something like that? I know it's not 100% real reality but he seems like someone who'd hate the idea of having his home life filmed, I've seen him do little bits on YouTube with Renee and he looks way out of his comfort zone.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Would Mox be up for something like that? I know it's not 100% real reality but he seems like someone who'd hate the idea of having his home life filmed, I've seen him do little bits on YouTube with Renee and he looks way out of his comfort zone.

Yeah, to be fair, I really can't imagine him doing it. But generally, if TNT and AEW want to do this, who else is even in the running?

• Paid Members

Mox and Renee appeared on Total Divas for a bit, didn’t they? There couldn’t be two couples on such opposite ends of the spectrum though. I cannot stand Cody and Brandi but I’d watch the shit out of a reality show with Moxley and Renee. They’re a super likeable couple. Listening to them bounce off each other on her podcast is great. Plus, she’s so good at getting Mox to lower his guard that you end up with absolute gold like the story he tells of doing loads of coke before going the library.

21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Sure we're not going to watch it but it'll 100% bleed over into Dynamite.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it. It's a perfectly legitimate thing to do. I'm just not convinced this happens to any significant degree, or if that even matters in the first place. 

50 minutes ago, Chili said:

Why does everyone really dislike Brandi Rhodes seen as the show wasn't worth talking about it seems.

I don't think it's so much that people dislike Brandi, it's more that they dislike the positioning of her. She's regularly given a prominence on the show that isn't to many other female wrestlers, despite not being particularly good in ring. 

Just now, Merzbow said:

Wasn't Renee on Total Divas for a bit? Did Moxley make himself known much on that? 

As far as the show goes, it was enjoyable for the most part, and I really enjoyed the main event. I really wanted Silver to win, even though, deep down, I knew it wouldn't be the right decision. 

The Scorpio Sky promo was really good, and he's very quickly winning me over as a heel. 

Cody justifiably get ragged on a lot, but Christian came across as incredibly insincere during his backstage segment. I think I'd be more on board with Christian if he was a midcard heel, perhaps if he was in the Matt Hardy role, feuding with Darby.

Although the show was fun, if you break down the feuds we appear to be getting, it's a little deflating. You potentially have: Cody/QT Marshall, Darby/Matt Hardy, Omega/Christian, The Bucks/The Good Brothers (or Moxley & Kingston/The Good Brothers) and Sting/Archer. Too many promising fresh faces are being sidelined for much less interesting older alternatives.  

53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

That trailer looked... okay? I'm not into reality shows, but it looks no more offensive than the Miz or Bella stuff. As long as it's not over the show any more than those are on WWE, I find some of the responses weird. It makes perfect sense for AEW to do something like this with TNT, and I can't see many others on the roster it could work with. The only couple it could have worked better with would have been Moxley and Renee, but she's not under contract.

If it’s a TNT thing she wouldn’t need to be under contract, would she?

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

If it’s a TNT thing she wouldn’t need to be under contract, would she?

Which means they can't really pressure or easily encourage her to do it, is what I mean. Or feature her really on AEW in the past. There's less for AEW to gain from the crossover. And it becomes more of a TNT thing than a TNT/AEW thing.

Because we're (mostly) wrestling fans, we tend to see that as the only thing. But WWE is as much, if not more, a B2B organisation than a B2C one. AEW needs to have some of that going for them as well, and being able to effectively generate other content for TNT is going to be huge for them. The Go Big Show looks like it's been a success for AEW (I have no idea whether it is for TNT). In that position, Cody and Brandi have to position themselves as 'stars', because their audience is TNT execs. Sure, it may be falling into their worst tendencies as well, but I don't think it's simple as 'they think they're awesome'.

Thought it was a fun show that flowed nice. 

John Silver suffered a shoulder injury unfortunately. Thought he did a great job regardless. Hope he recovers soon, would love to see him and Darby go at it some more. The opener was cracking too. I love Don Callis on commentary, does a great job of selling what a shit Omega is.

FTR cutting the ring in half and beating the piss out of a babyface never gets old.

45 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

flating. You potentially have: Cody/QT Marshall, Darby/Matt Hardy, Omega/Christian, The Bucks/The Good Brothers (or Moxley & Kingston/The Good Brothers) and Sting/Archer. Too many promising fresh faces are being sidelined for much less interesting older alternatives.  

That makes for some bleak reading when you see it written down. I completely agree. I think they're a hair away from having a really hot, fresh and exciting show but they need to allocate time better. QT Marshall, Best Friends, Hardy, and now Christian etc . . take up spots and all too regularly suck the energy out of the show.

So QT Marshall’s wife was just fine with him having a fling with The Bunny a few months ago?

I wish JR would make his mind up about who he thinks the worlds best tag team is. He said it about FTR during their match, yet says the exact same thing any time The Bucks or The Lucha Bros come out

”Out.Work.Everyone.” - has there ever been a catchphrase that’s three separate sentences before

“This is not New Japan, this is not 6 years ago, this is not about selling some tacky T-shirt’s” - Eddie Kingston gets to say what everyone else wants to. Who still a gives fuck about any iteration of Bullet Club

I was hopeful for Miro when he came in last year. Was never given anything worthwhile after Cena feud in 2015, and I was hoping that coming into AEW would give him a chance to begin again,  but now I don’t think I could care any less about him if I tried.

Not to get bogged down in ratings talk, but do they still report the quarter hour figures? I only ask because I’m intrigued how many stuck around for a main event where the tallest man in the ring was Bryce Remsburg. Don’t get me wrong, the match was fine and I know John Silver is a favourite on here, but I just can’t imagine people waiting all night to watch that match

Edited by WyattSheepMask