The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

All good points. But my problems were: Cody's arm was already injured going into the match, and Penta's promos were focussed one how he was going to destroy it, but beyond selling more pain, the finish was Cody and friends staring at Penta as he skulked off. Smiling or not, it still sets up that the issue isn't over, and if Cody's arm isn't broken, it instantly makes Penta's key threat weaker. Sure, have the Nightmare Family run Penta off, but then immediately call for medical personnel to strap Cody up, while he cried about how his arm's gone, Penta did it, etc. And in front of the live crowd and TV audience - not backstage or in a VT that you're only posting on your IG or Youtube, where only your confirmed fans will see it.

It hasn't been set up as a MDK move in AEW. I get that AEW is doing the 'all continuities matter' thing, but he's used that move before in AEW and it hasn't put anyone out. And he didn't skulk off - he swanned around ringside, posed with a hat, then stared down the entire group, including the next guy to come along. He came across as annoyed that he'd lost and dangerous enough for 4/5 people to be nervous about taking him on. 

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that Christian has been able to come in and muck about as some sort of cosplay Benoit.

Christian would have been fucking tremendous pissing about with the Dark Order.

He’s got comedy down, and he’s got years of being a goth character to play off. 

Bloodbaths but -1 forgets the blood? Bloodbaths but it’s confetti instead? They enter the arena up through a ring of fire but Johnny Hungi comes out the normal way because he’s scared of fire?

It could have been great.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Christian will be a heel before long. It's his calling, the whiney little shit is something he's been great at any age. 

Dull, should've could've? babyface hard worker Christian does nothing really in 2021 for me, and I really like him. 

• Paid Members

I don't get why they'd need to write Cody out for his paternity leave after all the hoopla they made regarding Brandi being pregnant. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Perry said:

I don't watch AEW but it seems like they're stockpiling the ex WWE talent. They're probably a couple of signings away from bringing Hogan in

Cody Rhodes(who sort of doesn't count as he's a founder member, it's his promotion, really)

Brandi Rhodes

Chris Jericho

Shawn Spears

Christian

Big Show (on commentary only thus far)

Dustin Rhodes

Billy Gunn

FTR

Jack Swagger

Jon Moxley

Matt Hardy

Miro

PAC

Matt Sydal

Taz (manager only)

Serena Deeb

Ethan Page

JR

Tully Blanchard

Arn Anderson

Jake Roberts

Sting

Out of a roster of 100, roughly twenty people, a few of whom barely count as being WWE talent, some of whom are barely ever on screen, and some of whom aren't even wrestling, isn't really stockpiling.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Cody Rhodes(who sort of doesn't count as he's a founder member, it's his promotion, really)

Chris Jericho

Shawn Spears

Christian

Big Show (on commentary only thus far)

Dustin Rhodes

Billy Gunn

FTR

Jack Swagger

Jon Moxley

Matt Hardy

Miro

PAC

Out of a roster of 100, roughly twenty people, a few of whom barely count as being WWE talent, some of whom are barely ever on screen, and some of whom aren't even wrestling, isn't really stockpiling.

Even then you're being incredibly generous. Some of those have been in WWE, but I would never class as WWE guys. Some aren't even in-ring talent and have no plans to be. Some weren't even active wrestlers or on-screen talent.
I've edited the list to who I would consider "WWE guys" that are in-ring and even some of those are a push, because when were they last even in WWE? The likes of Jack Swagger and Billy Gunn haven't been active there for years, and Christian had a RR appearance in like 7 years or something. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but only PAC and Moxley were active roster wrestlers when they left for AEW weren't they?
 Plus WWE has been the only major promotion since 2001 so it's hard not to be a WWE guy because other than Impact and ROH, your only other option was a move to Japan.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Plus WWE has been the only major promotion since 2001 so it's hard not to be a WWE guy because other than Impact and ROH, your only other option was a move to Japan.

And they have been stockpiling talent for years; it's barely possible to have had a career of any note in the US, be over 30 and not be a "WWE guy" at this point.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

And they have been stockpiling talent for years; it's barely possible to have had a career of any note in the US, be over 30 and not be a "WWE guy" at this point.

Fair point. Just seems like new companies still rely on WWE faces to get them talked about.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Was Ethan Page in WWE?!

Sorry, got him confused with EC3. Scratch him.

42 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Even then you're being incredibly generous. Some of those have been in WWE, but I would never class as WWE guys. Some aren't even in-ring talent and have no plans to be. Some weren't even active wrestlers or on-screen talent.
I've edited the list to who I would consider "WWE guys" that are in-ring and even some of those are a push, because when were they last even in WWE? The likes of Jack Swagger and Billy Gunn haven't been active there for years, and Christian had a RR appearance in like 7 years or something. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but only PAC and Moxley were active roster wrestlers when they left for AEW weren't they?

That's exactly it. You have to be really accommodating to consider Perry's point valid, and, as you say, it's difficult to be a mainstream name wrestler and not have been in WWE in some form or another.

I still can't get over how bad that Cody/Penta match was. That Canadian Destroyer spot, no-sold as a transition into the 'Cody Cutter', Penta kicking out of a bunch of rushed finishers, snapping Cody's arm, then losing to a roll up. Fucking hell. Cody always had his quirks and did random shit that didn't quite fit but now he's gone off at the deep end. It's like he's trying to ape John Cena during his PWG phase but completely failing to grasp his psychology and use of big spots. This guy was the best babyface on the planet a year ago. Now he feels so grabby and disingenuous. I'm getting closer and closer to slotting him into the Seth/Charlotte/Shane auto fast-forward part of my brain.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Rosa vs Britt was really special and will be talked about for years to come. Between the big violent spots it was a proper scrap. Especially loved the blood soaked Britt, blindly and desperately kicking out at thin air as Rosa prowled.

Some of the most memorable facials and reaction shots in a match I can remember.

Ewu0yN4W8AEa732?format=jpg&name=large 

Awesome.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash