The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not to get bogged down in ratings talk, but do they still report the quarter hour figures? I only ask because I’m intrigued how many stuck around for a main event where the tallest man in the ring was Bryce Remsburg. Don’t get me wrong, the match was fine and I know John Silver is a favourite on here, but I just can’t imagine people waiting all night to watch that match

Alright there Vinny Mac? I don’t give a shit if a wrestler is 5ft or 7ft if they can work. Which both can, is that really a turn off for people in this day and age?

Enjoyed the show. No dud matches, hopefully next week is the end of the QT  thing and we can all move on. Also looking forward to the Arcade match next week. Would love to see a rematch of Silver and Allin down the road. Thought it was good until the injury. Also echo the love for The Pinnacle’s tron. Was a nice Evolution x 80’s Horsemen style mash up.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not to get bogged down in ratings talk, but do they still report the quarter hour figures? I only ask because I’m intrigued how many stuck around for a main event where the tallest man in the ring was Bryce Remsburg. Don’t get me wrong, the match was fine and I know John Silver is a favourite on here, but I just can’t imagine people waiting all night to watch that match

I think the real question is around Darby Allin, rather than height. Darby has been a guy who has been in the mix with main eventers as the lower-level talent. Putting him in with someone lower in the card (if not in our hearts), is a definite ask. It looks like they're trying to test Allin's popularity, and see if he's there or if he needs more.

I'd be interested if 'the main event' is still the thing it has been on TV. Dynamite tends to front-load the show, and it may be that the opener and second-hour opener are higher value slots these days. If so, that's pretty useful - you still get decent ratings by putting your bigger talent in the highest spots, and you build up the perceived value with other talent in the 'main event' slot.

I barely notice Darby's size anymore. He's pretty safely the best wrestler in the company for me actually. Him and Serena Deeb. I'm a sucker for mat work and it stands out in AEW. His unique, crazy offence, selling and bumps are incredible too. When he came in he looked like another garbage wrestler, doing silly stunts and weak brawling. But he's something completely different and his own little thing.

Darby usually does decent in the quarters from what I remember. I liked that they've given him a couple of main events as a vote of confidence. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Alright there Vinny Mac? I don’t give a shit if a wrestler is 5ft or 7ft if they can work. Which both can, is that really a turn off for people in this day and age?

Hey man, if you liked it that’s great, and as I said I thought the match itself was fine.

However, I think it’s probably a safe assumption to say that wrestling - be it WWE, AEW, ROH or whoever, still comes with certain perceptions, one of those being that the referee shouldn’t be the biggest man on screen. 

What I’d like to know is whether they lost viewers, or whether or not they’ve maintained the 700Kish number that they get more often than not. They’ve had Darby Allin in that spot on the show before, defending against Brian Cage, but David vs Goliath tends to draw, whereas I imagine David vs David doesn’t 

• Paid Members

I'm with @WyattSheepMaskon this one. I really enjoy Darby and Johnny Hungee but on paper that match isn't a main event yet. At the very least not with the build it had.

I know it's still recent, and I can't begin to imagine how bad it must be for everyone involved, but the Brodie Lee tributes and everything is starting to get a bit like a parody now. It seems the shows are littered with people doing his powerbomb, pointing to the sky, commentary mentioning him. It's all over both versions of Dark too. I'm just worried at some point it will hit that point of no return where it becomes tacky.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Hopefully the Rhodes To The Top thing doesn't have angles running through it, and we don't get "this week on Rhodes to the top" segments on Dynamite. Although there were some fun videos uploaded by Brandi to social media/YouTube after she left WWE, but while Cody was still there. They were a bit weird in that they never showed his face (usually either in the style of Wilson from Home Improvement where he was partially hidden away, but sometimes just straight up picellating it) because he was Stardust at the time. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

However, I think it’s probably a safe assumption to say that wrestling - be it WWE, AEW, ROH or whoever, still comes with certain perceptions, one of those being that the referee shouldn’t be the biggest man on screen. 

I would imagine that the vast majority of people don't notice it. If they do, that's the most damning indictment of the match's suitability to main event in the first place - as Tommy Young used to say, if you're worried that the crowd are watching the referee rather than you, that says more about your work than it does about the ref. 

I agree that it's more a test of Darby Allin as the "star" half of a match, rather than the up-and-comer, but I very much doubt the wrestlers' respective heights would have come into most people's minds, aside from the most jaded of wrestling old-timers. The idea that people are sitting through close to two hours of wrestling, then turning off at the main event because John Silver is a few inches shorter than their Platonic ideal of a wrestler, just doesn't add up.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What I’d like to know is whether they lost viewers, or whether or not they’ve maintained the 700Kish number that they get more often than not. They’ve had Darby Allin in that spot on the show before, defending against Brian Cage, but David vs Goliath tends to draw, whereas I imagine David vs David doesn’t

It's a match between two compelling characters - plus you had the emotional hook of Silver potentially bringing the title back to the Dark Order. Personally I think that's more than enough, and in terms of main event suitability - they've had The Natural Nightmares vs. Butcher and Blade in that slot before so the bar is pretty low (appropriately/helpfully enough, given the subject of discussion here) 

Although I don't think height matters - it doesn't really translate to television - an argument could be made about the benefits of being eye-catching. Darby with his face paint and Silver, the bearded tank that his is, certainly are head-turners. Then you have Darby's enigmatic personality, and Silver's wild, over-the-top personality - it's a fun combination. 

• Paid Members

This graphic is so great. I’m praying they somehow overdeliver similar to the Parking Lot Brawl.

510F8EE0-A2DE-4396-B8E5-063125C172EB.thumb.jpeg.d4094eb8392243bc17e6e08b73919a5d.jpeg

But yeah, I love Cassidy’s new entrance music. What a mad thing AEW is, watching a Wrestling Observer geek with an unlimited budget do whatever he wants.

I honestly can't remember but can The Bunny/Allie wrestle? I'm glad to see her finally being utilized either way, it's been a rocky road with her being pinballed over the place and paired with fucking QT at one point.

Speaking of, I actually don't mind him as the little pissy heel.. it's just not something I want to see on the main show especially if it's dragging Cody even further down this shitty void he's found himself in over the past months.

Tay's grown so much since her start in the company, she seems so much more confident in the ring but is there going to be a problem when she has to talk more?

I loved the main event, it could never come close to last weeks but they put in a hell of an effort and there's some serious chemisty between the two little lads. Silver looked like a fucking beast out there and both are almost unparalled with their intensity, give me a big PPV match between them at some point, please.