The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Yeah I recorded it too and watched it this morning. 

Eddie Kingston is great. I love everything about him. 

Cody is still the absolute pits. The first half of his match was strange as it seemed like he was annoyed with Penta and kept no selling a lot of his stuff. I have a feeling they didn’t see eye to eye. I can’t wait until he goes on paternity. 

I think they’ve had Tony try to interview Sting every week since his debut, haven’t they?

I was expecting to hate the main event but loved it. You could see Britt was panicking a bit after she bladed as she obviously went a bit deeper than she meant to, but once she realised she was fine and wasn’t going to bleed to death, the adrenaline hit and she was on fire!

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

It's always been there on catch up following the Friday night showing.

I can only assume it wasn't shown last night as usual.

It was on the ITV Hub for me at 10am this morning. There have been times in the past where it’s been on there for others but not me ... but it is definitely there now, because that’s how I saw the show. Hope it appears for you soon 😊

Amazing effort by both women in the main event. All three, actually. So impressive, and felt like a fight. The best women’s match AEW have done by some distance, and better than most of their other hardcore style matches too. My wife had never seen a thumbtack spot before and found it disgusting and ridiculous at the same time.  

Was it just the colour levels on my laptop or had The Butcher caught some of the Florida sun? He looked really red!

Penta was fun this week. I liked his attitude and I liked the hats.

It speaks to what a terrible nerd I am that when Kingston was quoting (I think) Tupac with his line about “cowards die a thousand times before their deaths” I was thinking, “well actually, I think you’ll find that was Shakespeare, Hotspur said that in Henry IV Part 1...”

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Was it just the colour levels on my laptop or had The Butcher caught some of the Florida sun? He looked really red!

I noticed that too. Also Luke Gallows arms looked like they'd been cover in motor oil and MJF had some horrendous fake tan on his face that he hadn't washed off his ears properly. He could have at least done the rest of himself so his face and hands weren't different colours.

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I noticed that too. Also Luke Gallows arms looked like they'd been cover in motor oil and MJF had some horrendous fake tan on his face that he hadn't washed off his ears properly. He could have at least done the rest of himself so his face and hands weren't different colours.

To be fair to Butcher, he's made a concerted effort since his main event with Mox to get in shape. I think getting so blown up (even he was wrestling in jeans in the middle of Florida) shook him up a bit, and he's visibly leaved out recently. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if he was mainlining niacin and IcyHot.

Gallows has looked like that for ages, and I think it really adds to his giant obnxious goofbag vibe.

MJF seems to really struggle with the gravy browning. He always looks streaky and grimy. Must be his skin or complexion.

• Paid Members

Is it to play into his character as well? Dodgy cuprinol tan, burberry scarf, smarmy attitude? Great shithousery. 

Jim Ross’ one word attempt at an Irish accent gave me diabetes. 

Spears just does not belong in that group. 

“How much times” oh Darby that’s unacceptable. What was Jake talking about?

Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa worked bloody hard didn’t they? Hope both of them were ok afterwards it was brutal. Fucking hell that power bomb and thunder driver looked stiff.

Big show talked about them working with Luchasaurus to make him wrestle like a big guy, and his fire spot this week made it looked like it’s working 

It'd be interesting to know how the main event did ratings wise. TNA showed that women's wrestling could be a ratings winner for then but never really did anything with that knowledge. This match was the most compelling of any AEW match I've seen. More of this would keep me around.

I do think the commentary could have focused more on explaining why these two women hated each other rather than gushing over how tough the women were and how unforgettable a moment it was. Do that after the match. Not during.

I also feel like they've really killed the "lights out" gimmick. I know it's just another hardcore/street fight/no holds barred match but there's so many ways you could make it really mean something. Flashing the lights just looks lame. Sign waivers, remove the commentators, remove the branding, make the referee wear a plain shirt. Dim some lights. Make the presentation of the match feel like something different.

I also really like the idea of show themes but don't bother if all you're going to do is give out green tshirts and stick some spare green tinsel on the announce desk. I mean, this one was a hard theme to present anyway, but they do it all the time. It kinda comes off cheap.

That Christian promo can get in the bin. "Work horse" is just another way of saying "not a star" and it's a weird thing to brag about when you're meant to be a big name signing. It's the kind of gimmick that you'd joke about a stereotypical "Internet wrestling fan" thinking was a good idea about 5 years ago.

I find it hilarious that even when the Bullet Club aren't the Bullet Club they're still in a perpetual state of implosion. It's basically a trope at this stage. 

I found this a bit of a bewildering show. There's times where I'm not sure who I'm meant to hate or like. Cody's swarmy, Pentagon is a poser, QT was a bit late saving Cody so he's traitorous, MJF betrayed Jericho which is heinous except Jericho was an arsehole anyway and plus everybody and their mother seems to be about to betray everyone else anyway, Cage fancies Sting, Sting likes to stand around with Darby, Jake Roberts is apparently just sent out there to talk without any direction as to what he's meant to be talking about, Archer is his carer, Mox apparently has invisible burns, nobody official was all that arsed about Moxley or Kingston until the Young Bucks eventually came out and live announcements are responded to quite quickly in what are very obviously pre-taped segments that don't even feel live. 

It's A LOT. 

• Paid Members

Spears really is the sore thumb in that group. It feels like he's there to take the fall in multi-man matches to protect the others, then get his heat back by attacking somebody with a chair.

Luchasaurus looked good this week. His kicks and punches looks a lot closer than they have been. I wonder whether some of the coaching he's had from Show was "don't worry about potatoes". Bear Country are great.

I can't wait for Miro to snap and maim Kip Sabian. I kind of hope they win the arcade match as Chuck being Miro's butler could be entertaining, although I could also see Chuck & Cassidy winning by pinning Kip, then Miro snapping on him, or even just battering them all after the match.

Britt really bled a gusher. That main even was a brutal spectacle.