The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It surprises me that Ivelisse still gets booked in mainstream companies, she seems like a huge headache and there isn't much upside in the ring either. She was released from NXT due to a reportedly poor attitude and was passed up not too long ago after a try out. 

The last time I saw her in AEW, I forget who it was against, but Ivelisse was no selling and sandbagging her way though the match.

EDIT: How could I forget that it was Thunder Rosa

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It might partly be that WWE tend (or certainly tended) to really heat stuff up before a blow-off in a feud, whereas AEW will tend not to - they'll dot angles in leading up to it, but this wasn't going in mega-hot. Orange/Chuck challenged in a promo one week, Miro/Kip accepted the following week, then they had the match. WWE probably would have done some big angle in those two weeks. 

They would have done OC vs Miro one week then Chuck vs Skip the next week you mean.

Not surprising about Ivelisse. She was great in Lucha Underground but outside that controlled environment she's floundered. She's always been a hot head, she was a nightmare even back in the Tough Enough days apparently. If she doesn't feel like she's being used right she's very quick to kick off.

Respectfully disagree @Chris B about the storytelling. I've enjoyed the last few weeks of Dynamite but I do think there's issues big picture wise. There's regularly too many poor or mediocre feuds going on at once, with bad character development and the of need blood and gimmicks to save them. I've no idea why their ratings are falling off but I think the EVP's endlessly dicking about isn't helping. Cody, Omega and The Young Bucks are meant the promotions big stars but does anybody actually care about what they're doing right now? Omega has his flashes of brilliance but it's mostly boring melodrama with him, Callis and the Bucks. Cody and The Bucks are a mess. Adam Page, Lance Archer, Team Tazz, Orange Cassidy and Penta are either constantly treading water or have lost momentum completely. Even Moxley has felt aimless since dropping the belt.

On the other hand Darby, MJF and The Inner Circle have been consistent. 

• Paid Members

Ratings have only fallen very slightly the past two weeks so I don't think it's panic time just yet. But I also agree and think the show's have felt really messy and confused storyline wise since Revolution and it's definitely a concern. I have no idea what the Young Bucks/Omega & Good Brothers storyline is supposed to be about, Cody is dicking around doing a load of bollocks, Matt Hardy is feuding with half the roster for some fucking reason and the singles standouts (Page, Starks, Archer, Allin, Moxley, Penta) should be going places rather than missing every other show. It feels like no one is sense checking this stuff.

Except the MJF/Jericho stuff. Jericho knows how to book a clear, long term story that develops and is always going somewhere and gets everyone over. I'm not convinced anyone else in the company does.

• Paid Members

Ivelisse getting binned off couldn’t be less surprising. Her run in AEW was my first time seeing her and even in a company filled with inexperienced women she stuck out like a sore thumb as absolute dog shit. She was a terrible worker at the best of times, never mind when she was seemingly trying to pull a Shawn Michaels or Randy Orton by letting everyone know she was in a sulk with creative. Imagine pulling that type of unprofessional shit in a company with women like Tay Conti, Britt Baker and Anna Jay. Inexperienced, sure, but so clearly motivated to get better, making huge leaps every single week. Fuck right off, Ivelisse.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Ratings have only fallen very slightly the past two weeks so I don't think it's panic time just yet. But I also agree and think the show's have felt really messy and confused storyline wise since Revolution and it's definitely a concern. I have no idea what the Young Bucks/Omega & Good Brothers storyline is supposed to be about, Cody is dicking around doing a load of bollocks, Matt Hardy is feuding with half the roster for some fucking reason and the singles standouts (Page, Starks, Archer, Allin, Moxley, Penta) should be going places rather than missing every other show. It feels like no one is sense checking this stuff.

I wonder how much the increased focus as of late on people like Hardy, Sting, Marshall and Christian has affected this? When AEW launched it felt young, fresh, cool and exciting. How can anyone have any enthusiasm to see Christian, Hardy or even Sting at this stage? As for Marshall, he’s not a well-worn out talent, but he seems like one. He looks old, and that’s really out-of-sync with what the company once was. What’s cool about any of these people? And if you originally tried to cultivate a younger audience, does playing off nostalgia in this way really help? 

The ratings are gonna be up and down... i think its gonna take crowds  before any wrestlinf show hets consistency.

Been watching some elevation. I like paul whites  commentary. A bit dull but also feels real. Reminds me of boxing or something

Yeah was a total sneak attack by guys primed and ready to get them. Have inner circle on the show next week, week after have a pinnacle sneak attack and probably put someone out who then returns at the blow off match to even the odds. No rush when next big show is 7 weeks away 

They got blindsided same as The Inner Circle got blindsided, we’re they made to look like jobbers too?

Jericho reaching into his bag of tricks with “the worst is yet to come” and Dax fortuitously bleeding a gusher (which Jericho caused) are great plot points leading to the inevitable Blood & Guts match

The QT Marshall/Cody angle was the most interesting QT has been but I didn't know any of the ones who've joined him. (until they mentioned Ogogo, I had no idea he was in AEW let alone the Nightmare Factory). If that's the basic narrative that they decide to go down, these are the members of the Family/Factory who feel as if they're under-utilised then it'll make sense. 

Given the mention, and showing, of him the other week is it too early for Arn's kid to come to the rescue?

Started trying to get into AEW these past few weeks as miss a bit of wrestling (stopped watching WWE a while back). 

I enjoyed this weeks show but really thought Christian was going to lose his first match and then quickly turn heel as the “out work everyone” got him nowhere. 

Also I was so confused with the Cody and QT storyline as it seemed to me that Cody was the heel. Just so patronising 

Ignoring Cody.

QT being given the jobber introduction and the announcers actually pointing it out was cold. 

No wonder he has a chip on his shoulder.

Edit. 

Had AEW actually been consistent rating wise? They always seem to jump up and down. 

As good as this weeks episode turned out, the announced lineup didn't really scream must see. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

What do ya'll think of this Cody promo on YouTube addressing the QT thing (starts at 2:40)? I suspect something similar will be said on Dynamite itself as they've definitely done repeat promos with the likes of Don Callis and Omega on different outlets - but I liked how this whole vid was put together to announce a simple house show.