The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

14 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm glad you're enthused by it, because it's nice to hear someone excited about wrestling, but to me it's just a badly delivered checklist of stuff that's happened. Didn't play into anything in the match or a story, it's corny as fuck. I am aware of those things, I understood the references (fellow kids), I didn't think they were any good. 

I’m not sure how you integrate popular culture into a match. I think their act is they’re rap kids, with an 80’s throwback aesthetic as boom-bap is back baby, and they carry around goofy props they use in matches. They use the pre-match raps to pump themselves up and exude confidence.

Acts are never going to be for everyone, I just happen to think Max Caster is very current and exciting and, in an era where wrestling struggles to talk to normal people, he has that ability.

My wife, for example, hates wrestling but has laughed at a couple of his jokes. It’s anecdotal, but I think it carries.

On a broader point, I think AEW have some great young acts that theyre in danger of doing a disservice to if they increase their focus on imports or more established names any more. Across the show, I look at Adam Page, Max Caster, Jungle Boy, MJF, Darby Allin, Wardlow and John Silver (for example), and see people with really unique acts with a tonne of upside. And, more importantly, they’re really young. Wrestling is pretty old right now and AEW has a great collection of young athletes they could do more with.

I also see Eithan Page and Scorpio Sky hanging about in the rafters and think ‘fuck off lads’.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Don't really watch a lot of AEW but had to check this guy out as I always love seeing hip hop used outside of its 'natural' setting.

This dudes pretty good. It's clear he can rap, he has nice use of a few multi patterns in there, he has a good voice (sounds VERY inspired by late 90s/early 00s west coast indie rap) and most importantly, he has a FANTASTIC dookie rope chain on. 

Someone mentioned earlier about his 'mat/rat/cat' raps and I completely disagree.

When you're presenting hip hop to a non hip hop audience you HAVE to make it presentable and this guy could obviously not come out spitting double time multi syllabablic battle raps could he? It has to have clarity of voice and lyrics for the viewers. 

I think he's good. Definitely something different.

Is he better than "I'm so good Freddie Foxxx produced on my album but I turned down his ghost writing" John Cena in the wrestler/rapper stakes? Debatable.

You can read more about my ramblings on rap in the hip hop thread. 

JD Drake on the main show means I didn't hate it, nice to see my working class badass in some new wrestling gear for the occasion.

Max has grew on me, I think his initial raps were a little too simplistic but he's now found that edgy but entertaining for the normies sweet spot.

• Paid Members

The Acclaimed are a great little undercard act with a huge amount of potential and upside to be a great mid to upper card act and I'll hear nothing else about it. 

It's a good thing Luchasaurus has such a fantastic look and gimmick, because he's a hilariously bad wrestler. He's surrounded by loads of young guys who seem to be getting better every week and I think he's actually getting worse. Still love him though, but only because of how dumb, goofy and fun his gimmick is. 

6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Acclaimed are a great little undercard act with a huge amount of potential and upside to be a great mid to upper card act and I'll hear nothing else about it. 

It's a good thing Luchasaurus has such a fantastic look and gimmick, because he's a hilariously bad wrestler. He's surrounded by loads of young guys who seem to be getting better every week and I think he's actually getting worse. Still love him though, but only because of how dumb, goofy and fun his gimmick is. 

I'm happy with Luchasaurus ceiling. He'll be the big guy to always have Jungle Boy's back when he ventures on his singles trail. Ironically his character really doesn't need to evolve much beyond what he is. I'd say he's the Chuck Taylor of the three man unit as he's the least interesting to me but has his reason to not be just sacked off.

Yeah, it won't happen but I'd love it if The Pinnacle left Tyson laying next week. Not happy with how they've blown off their heat so quickly.

The Acclaimed and Caster are awesome. Max is green as grass but it doesn't really matter in his case. The act feels so fresh and current compared to everything else and they inject the tag scene with some much needed personality.

The Bucks melodrama is so rotten. Hope this an end to all the bollocks because them and Omega just ain't cutting it as champions so far.

1 minute ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The Bucks melodrama is so rotten. Hope this an end to all the bollocks because them and Omega just ain't cutting it as champions so far.

I'd started to turn around on Omega a little at the start of the title run but fuck me he's gone back to hammy shitehawk so soon, I hate to agree with Corny on anything but there really is this odd amateur panto vibe in his mannerisms. It's night and day between him and a Hangman, Moxley or Kingston who rarely if ever seem like they're "acting".

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't really watch a lot of AEW but had to check this guy out as I always love seeing hip hop used outside of its 'natural' setting.

This dudes pretty good. It's clear he can rap, he has nice use of a few multi patterns in there, he has a good voice (sounds VERY inspired by late 90s/early 00s west coast indie rap) and most importantly, he has a FANTASTIC dookie rope chain on. 

Someone mentioned earlier about his 'mat/rat/cat' raps and I completely disagree.

When you're presenting hip hop to a non hip hop audience you HAVE to make it presentable and this guy could obviously not come out spitting double time multi syllabablic battle raps could he? It has to have clarity of voice and lyrics for the viewers. 

I think he's good. Definitely something different.

Is he better than "I'm so good Freddie Foxxx produced on my album but I turned down his ghost writing" John Cena in the wrestler/rapper stakes? Debatable.

You can read more about my ramblings on rap in the hip hop thread. 

This is great, I wish they'd air some of these videos on Dynamite. Given the obvious effort put into making them, it feels like a massive waste to just pop them on Youtube/use them on Dark. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'd started to turn around on Omega a little at the start of the title run but fuck me he's gone back to hammy shitehawk so soon, I hate to agree with Corny on anything but there really is this odd amateur panto vibe in his mannerisms. It's night and day between him and a Hangman, Moxley or Kingston who rarely if ever seem like they're "acting".

I think Kenny at his best actually sort of leans into that. He's a goofy nerd, and comes across as incredibly insecure about having to seem like a superhero pro-wrestler. With someone like Don Callis to play off and lampshade that, you actually hate Omega because he's so smarmy and artificial. I thought that was one of his strengths in Bullet Club too - he was just gimmicked up to the nines. Part of the reason the feud/partnership with Hangman works so well, and the feud with Moxley and Kingston works so well, is because of that difference, they come across as utterly genuine in comparison.

But played straight with people like the Young Bucks who share his worst tendencies, I can imagine how it would just get tedious.

Yeah you're right, it was working when it was first bouncing off Don and finally felt like he was acting up and insecure inside. Maybe it's just me but I don't feel like those subtlties have really landed well for the most part.

It's frustrating because there is flashes of a brilliant dickhead heel in there and the Callis pairing has a lot of potential. The Young Bucks, Good Brothers and the half baked 'Forbidden Door' stuff is really muddying it all up though.

Screw them for putting JD Drake in a singlet. If you look like prime Buddy Rose you don't hide it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

He's no Lou Reed.