The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

The media attention is evidence because that's what AEW and TNT wanted and that's what they got. TNT would have charged companies more for advertising time in the commercial breaks for the episode Shaq was on so for them it was a success. There's not going to be some kind of "Shaqs appearance led directly to THIS" evidence. TNT programming got widespread media exposure and that's all they care about. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Or, the more likely scenario is that wrestling is dying and it’s almost impossible to get new people to care no matter what they do.

Wrestling's making more money than it ever has. And at a time when ratings are falling for everything, pro-wrestling is falling slower than most. Weirdly, it's probably more valuable than it has ever been. But overall, fewer people are watching any specific TV show than ever before - people will dip in and out when suits them. Comparatively, wrestling is in pretty healthy shape.

At the moment, AEW had a terrible ending to the biggest show they've ever put on, and are in the middle of a bit of a building period while their opponent puts on their biggest shows of the year. And are doing it all week long. If anyone is watching both AEW and NXT regularly, is anyone in the mood for MORE wrestling after watching the Raw, Hall of Fame, multiple nights of NXT, and just before multiple nights of Wrestlemania? It's hardly a surprise they're at the lower end of where they've been for a while.

Part of it will be down to how the next big show does. As they start building back up, we'll see if they've lost trust or not or if they can recover. But at the moment, this is the biggest the opposition can do - if they start building bigger off the back of it, AEW is in a fight again. If not, then let's see what they build up. If Blood and Guts delivers, they'll be fine. If not, they'll have to start making more fundamental changes.

• Paid Members

I’ve not seen Mox vs. Barnett from last night’s Bloodsport yet. I’m hoping to catch up tonight. It’s gotten rave reviews.

I have seen the fucking crowd though.

2D3C07F5-5250-4942-B41A-BF692B1D603B.thumb.jpeg.4e05c3d70ba3015ad1c980d00380acd5.jpeg

D9998BFC-7B1C-4272-A0FE-9CD6EDC91041.jpeg.06986e4041755f0e37a2cfa9845470da.jpeg

Sloppy shop.

Edited by Supremo

Be interesting to see how they do without opposition from NXT. 

If there isn't much of a change or ratings stay as they are then I think Khan needs to start looking at what isn't working and act accordingly. Even if it bruises some egos. 

As much as I like JD Drake he obviously wasn't ready for a high profile TV match, let alone a title match. 

That Jericho promo was the pits, overly long and did nothing to get The Pinnacle over imo. If anything it might have had the opposite effect.

Unless I missed it, the commentators not even noticing their women's champion at ringside during Tay Vs. Bunny until over halfway through the match, was pretty embarrassing. 

I'm intrigued by Archer's current storyline, Sting stirring things up with Jake was good. 

The BF's and Triangle segment was really clunky and awkward. 

Main event was fine but others have said the Bucks turn was long overdue. Worse yet imo is that I suspect that there's more drama to come. 

44 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

If there isn't much of a change or ratings stay as they are then I think Khan needs to start looking at what isn't working and act accordingly. Even if it bruises some egos.

We're all members of a wrestling forum, so I think it's fair to say that we're immersed in the AEW product, at least to a degree. If I weren't a member of this forum, I'd have no idea what the Brodie Lee paper throwing thing was about, why the Dark Order suddenly started behaving like goofs, I'd likely struggle to follow the various strands of the Hangman Page/depression storyline and I'd almost certainly be confused about QT Marshall's relationship with Cody. 

WWE tends to drop storylines without explanation, but AEW often fails to even explain the storylines on Dynamite in the first place and that has to be problematic. I'm completely in favour of telling a storyline over a period of time, but AEW also has a tendency to slow things down so much that you completely forget that a storyline is even taking place. Look at Colt Cabana's flirtations with the Dark Order - it very much felt like it was building up to a match between Brodie and Colt. Perhaps it would have eventually, but they never even reached a point where they explicitly said that Cabana had joined that stable, things just didn't move forward. 

The same goes for Anna Jay and The Dark Order - Brodie Lee led her away after a match, she disappeared for a while and there was never any obvious follow-up, she just started appearing with them. Key plot points went undeveloped. 

I hate to pick on The Dark Order given that I really like them, but unpicking the loose threads in the Bucks/Omega/Page storyline (as I'd originally intended to do) is the recipe for a headache. 

Edited by RedRooster

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’ve not seen Mox vs. Barnett from last night’s Bloodspot yet. I’m hoping to catch up tonight. It’s gotten rave reviews.

I have seen the fucking crowd though.

2D3C07F5-5250-4942-B41A-BF692B1D603B.thumb.jpeg.4e05c3d70ba3015ad1c980d00380acd5.jpeg

D9998BFC-7B1C-4272-A0FE-9CD6EDC91041.jpeg.06986e4041755f0e37a2cfa9845470da.jpeg

Sloppy shop.

GCW are a bunch of fucking clowns, they've been complete shitarses throughout the pandemic and putting on shows with people mingling everywhere for almost a year now.

I fell out of watching full Dynamites but figured with WrestleMania being this weekend I'd at least have a go at doing what I used to love and just spend the whole weekend watching wrestling. 

Christ alive, a lot of people talk on the mic on this show, don't they? Maybe I'm just noticing it more coming in fresh, but it seemed like virtually every segment had established stars and (to a newcomer) virtual nobodies barking unscripted into the mic about how they're actually the future/the best/the biggest. It's not a complaint - I love seeing it and it's such a whacky antidote to the sterility of the WWE star making machine - but it was hilarious to watch. 

I loved that Jericho promo. Can't help it. Guy's a clown but I still find him magnetic in AEW and his look is the best he's had in years and years. To my mind it's the definitive Jericho, edging out his 2000 commercial peak in WWE. Inner Circle in black were cool as fuck. 

I love seeing the likes of Tully and Jake around the product, even if they don't do much. Again it's a more natural counterpoint to WWE's forced legends bits, where these days you imagine they'd probably have Jake laughing his head off as spooky green lighting makes the shadow of a snake chase Asuka down a corridor or something whilst a 3D graphic of Jake's new logo hangs in the background to announce he's a DLC in the game now. 

The guy who has got beef with Cody - and that whole Nightmare Factory segment - was rubbish, though. Found it strange that the British guy's bit on the mic was him going "I'm stuck in this shitty yank country" in front of a group of his presumably American mates. Again just a hilarious stream of talent I'm unfamiliar with grabbing mics saying the word shit. That's Dynamite. 

Fun watch. 

• Paid Members

Dailys Place is opening up to full capacity for a Machine Gun Kelly concert in a few weeks...if AEW are sticking around there for the foreseeable could be that they open up all 5000 seats for Blood and Guts in May.

One thing that's been bugging me the past couple weeks is the slow uploads of highlights on their Youtube channel, for example they only put up the Tay/Allie match clip today from Wednesday's show, they used to have everything up within hours like WWE does with Raw, SD and NXT

17 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Has there been an episode of Dynamite since Sting arrive where Tony Schiavone hasn't tried, but failed, to interview Sting? It seems to happen every week. I think Sting has said about ten words in all of them combined before getting inevitably interrupted.

I think that's what their going for. Sting hasn't yet spoken to Tony without interuption

This was the first Dynamite I actually turned off halfway through. The moment I saw "Sting Speaks next..." I blurted out "oh, for fuck's sake" and switched off.

Is there a pattern to which shows are taped and which are live? The difference in quality is ridiculous. The amount of dead air, missed spots, awkward editing, and duff promo lines isn't worth it. 

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

This was the first Dynamite I actually turned off halfway through. The moment I saw "Sting Speaks next..." I blurted out "oh, for fuck's sake" and switched off.

Is there a pattern to which shows are taped and which are live? The difference in quality is ridiculous. The amount of dead air, missed spots, awkward editing, and duff promo lines isn't worth it. 

Every other week is live.