The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Awards Moderator

Alexa’s A Moment Of Bliss? Grotty pervy filthy filth.

I really enjoyed PAC vs Kingston this week, and the main event felt like a main event. The rest of the show had its ebbs and flows but there was still enough decent stuff. I found the New Year’s Resolution segment better than a lot of recent IC stuff, and I liked The Waiting Room until Cargill showed up and it all got a bit messy. Appreciated that it wasn’t just “the ring, but with a couple of chairs” and they had an actual set for it.

Not so keen on the Taylor/Miro stuff, Private Party, FTR feeling uninspiring and Kenny Omega continuing to sell for nobodys. Limelight looked impressive, but he shouldn’t be looking that impressive against the World Champion, even if said champion has underestimated him.

• Paid Members

As is often the case when I see negative reports before I get the time to see it, I seemed to have a lot more fun with this week’s show than most.

Fun opener, nice little tag match with FTR and Jurassic Express, the Omega/Elite brawl was great, I’m delighted the Lucha Bros are moving into a top position, the Inner Circle stuff kept things bubbling nicely, Jake Hagar made me laugh out loud with his daft, “CHAMPIONSHIPS!” thing and then the main event was easily the best thing I’ve ever seen Brian Cage do. Great match, Darby came out of it looking like a never-say-die, next-Jeff-Hardy superstar and it was good to see Sting finally get physical.

The only really bad thing on the show was the Waiting Room, especially when Red Velvet came out and I had no idea who she was, but even that segment was partly carried by Britt being such a whacky dickhead. The bit at the end when she was arguing with graphics was brilliant.

That thing where they’re not seeing the big picture and angles are overlapping is creeping in again though. As much as their path to get there was dumb, I can see the upside to Chuck Taylor being Miro’s butler. There’s potential there for him and Orange Cassidy to piss about and sabotage both the bachelor party and the wedding with stupid hijinx. It’s completely undermined though when Matt Hardy is running practically the same angle with Private Party, holding them to a contract they don’t want to be in. As if Matt Hardy hadn’t proven himself to be worthless enough, he’s note stepping on the toes of others with his last ditch effort to be relevant and show any type of worth. Get him in the bin already.

The Good Brothers are always just OK, aren’t they? It’s not a WWE style, political or geographical thing. That’s just their ceiling.

Edited by Supremo

33 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The Good Brothers are always just OK, aren’t they? It’s not a WWE style, political or geographical thing. That’s just their ceiling.

Absolutely and it is so frustrating. Gallows has in my opinion so much upside, he is genuinely hilarious when doing his own thing and looks the business, he is just sadly a tad boring in ring, although he does throw some lovely bombs. Anderson is just so bland it hurts sadly.  

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

They need the Bullet Club/Elite stuff more than anyone. It's the only way they manage to stay relevant/cool, although it's quite surprising as they do seem pretty funny on their own. I don't know why that doesn't really translate on-screen all that much. Match-wise yeah, they've not really got a whole lot going for them, although I've always thought Gallows was a fairly decent big man. I enjoyed that Festus/Undertaker match years ago.

I loved their silly little PPVs and what they do outside of the ring but the moment they do something serious.. fuck I hate them.

Gallows is a shit boring big guy compared to others near his size, got a great look and can pull off a gimmick really well tho.

Anderson is just vanilla.

• Paid Members

Whether it was AJ or Balor in WWE or Omega now, Gallows and Anderson are just professional coattail riders (I won't comment on NJPW as I don't have enough knowledge of their act there). They are good for an initial pop, like when they arrived in TNA, but following that, they are just boring. As mentioned, take them out of a wrestling setting and they are hilarious, but they just can't translate it to TV.