The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

On the show it looked like a “well ok then” to join up, then post show it was massive smiles on pics put on insta of them all with the 2 sweet 

New to this AEW weekly lark, but the way it read to me was:

Bucks came out to settle tensions but really didn’t know what was going on or how to handle it. The two fella’s from the outside grabbed Omega and forced the Bucks’ hand and they had to make a decision as to which side they were on. One Superkick later and the band were back together.

It wasn’t massively fleshed out psychologically speaking, but that’s how it seemed to me.

I really enjoyed the show on the whole. Omega is an absolute star. Looks like a young Donald Sutherland.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

They're obnoxious heels, I'm sure you could get around it without causing any damage. It would have just been a bit of fun.

Obnoxious heels who have been in the company for the proverbial cup, who have been mugged off by SCU for just about all of it (not just by match results either) You'd need to put them over someone substantial soonish.

Edited by seph

• Awards Moderator

Those of you who don’t watch on ITV missed Tony Schiavone’s recommendation to get “a nice cup of tea” during the ad break in Cody-Sydal. I did, and it was nice, so thanks Tony.

On Jungle Boy, at least a small part of it is that he’s one of the few people on the AEW roster that JR seems genuinely excited about on commentary, and that may be a small thing but it certainly makes him stand out as someone to invest in.

• Paid Members

It’s no wonder even a grumpy prick like Jim Ross can see the money in Jungle Boy. It’s undeniable.

Guy ticks every single box. He’s the perfect plucky babyface. I don’t think there’s a demographic he wouldn’t appeal to. Whether it’s your mum, your little sister or the smelly knobheads in their, “I HATE CENA,” shirts. Nobody is booing Jungle Jack.

Non-threatening, boyband good looks that you can plaster on posters, nice, friendly demeanour that would charm everyone in interviews, Hollywood backstory and mainstream connections, brilliant, fun gimmick, and most importantly - he actually looks and feels young. It’s something I brought up about Dominik Mysterio before he and his push vanished into thin air. Not enough people in the top promotions actually look young. Especially now, when younger demos are more important than ever. Everyone works ten to fifteen years on the independents and grows out their dark black hair and beard before getting a look in. It’s a big deal when someone comes along that kids can actually see themselves in. It’s a huge part of Rey Mysterio’s success and Rey didn’t even have a pet dinosaur. Jack’s a marketing department’s dream come true.

Plus - he’s really fucking good. It was partially forgotten about after what a great year AEW had, but that Jungle Boy vs. MJF match in the Summer was outstanding and really set in stone what gems they’ve got with both of them. Real Triple H vs. The Rock in 97/98 vibes, where you know this is going to main event pay per views in years to come. That Jungle Boy is already this great of a worker at twenty three? With that gorgeous flowing hair? Now with that singalong entrance?! Gangbusters.

Edited by Supremo

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’s no wonder even a grumpy prick like Jim Ross can see the money in Jungle Boy. It’s undeniable.

Guy ticks every single box. He’s the perfect plucky babyface. I don’t think there’s a demographic he wouldn’t appeal to. Whether it’s your mum, your little sister or the smelly knobheads in their, “I HATE CENA,” shirts. Nobody is booing Jungle Jack.

Non-threatening, boyband good looks that you can plaster on posters, nice, friendly demeanour that would charm everyone in interviews, Hollywood backstory and mainstream connections, brilliant, fun gimmick, and most importantly - he actually looks and feels young. It’s something I brought up about Dominik Mysterio before he and his push vanished into thin air. Not enough people in the top promotions actually look young. Especially now, when younger demos are more important than ever. Everyone works ten to fifteen years on the independents and grows out their dark black hair and beard before getting a look in. It’s a huge deal when someone comes along that kids can actually see themselves in. It’s a huge part of Rey Mysterio’s success and Rey didn’t even have a pet dinosaur. He’s a marketing department’s dream come true.

Plus - he’s really fucking good. It was partially forgotten about after what a great year AEW had, but that Jungle Boy vs. MJF match in the Summer was outstanding and really set in stone what gems they’ve got with both of them. Real Triple H vs. The Rock in 97/98 vibes, where you know this is going to main event pay per views in years to come. That Jungle Boy is already this great of a worker at twenty three? With that gorgeous flowing hair? Now with that singalong entrance?! Gangbusters.

The way Jungle Boy is being booked has shades of how Kenta Kobashi was booked in Ajpw when he started. Kenta lost his first 80 matches, would always be the face in peril in the Super Generation vs Tsurutagun 6 man's and only got his first win against an ex-Triple Crown champion in 1993. 

The moment Jungle Jack gets a big win against one the big names, it'll be huge like when Kenta beat Terry Gordy in 93

Edited by Tsurutagun

Listening to Cody and Jericho on Jericho’s podcast, they know what they have with jungle boy. Jericho talks about his daughters who have no interest in wrestling being interested in him. 

wAs also good to hear them talk about what needs to be better, the repetition of join us angles on same show, and same spots being repeated seems to now be being worked to iron out 

My super casual fan friend who I live stream watch AEW with only wanted to see it because she saw a meme of Orange Cassidy. She immediately was all in on Jungle Boy, his appeal is obvious.

EDIT: Forgot to add the only time my mum saw AEW was when my sister had it on and it was the Jericho/Jungle Boy 10 minute challenge, again, mother was all in on Jungle Jack. 

Edited by Chili

I'm only a casual viewer so it might be why, but I still don't get the buzz around Darby Allin at all. He looks like such a un-threatening little dweeb. He reminds me of those guys - on the wrong end of their 20's - who still hang around with teenagers, drinking cheap cider in parks (which they scrounged off someone else as they're perpetually skint). That's when they're not trying to nonce underage girls on tumblr. I just can't take him seriously as a threat, especially as a champion.